• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the firearm market turning?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Seems even with the weak economy the firearms market, new and used, has been hot since the election. But is it slowing down?

Got an email from Four Seasons this morning and they are advertising S&W M&P 40's brand new for $478.99. Seems like AR's are coming down (though they have a long way) and are becoming in-stock items again, while SKS's are back to earth and AK's are coming down.

Will there be a "market correction" in early 2010?

Can't figure out the ammo market yet. Lucked out to get two boxes of 10mm, but no one has M1 Carbine ammo available and some of it is back-ordered to June 2010. Wish I'd saved my old brass so I could get some reloads!

Last edited:
I think the used firearms market is FAR softer than it was 3-4 months ago, in virtually every market (pistols, ARs, collector guns, etc)

I think the used firearms market is FAR softer than it was 3-4 months ago, in virtually every market (pistols, ARs, collector guns, etc)

Almost every store now has some ARs and AKs in stock. Also, most pistols.

Now, if only ammo was back to where it was. I can find ammo for everything I own, just not always the brand or specific bullet I want.

Blue Northern Trading has some 30 Carbine ammo. Prvi Partizan for $30.99 a box.
Seems even with the weak economy the firearms market, new and used, has been hot since the election. But is it slowing down?

Got an email from Four Seasons this morning and they are advertising S&W M&P 40's brand new for $478.99. Seems like AR's are coming down (though they have a long way) and are becoming in-stock items again, while SKS's are back to earth and AK's are coming down.

Will there be a "market correction" in early 2010?

Can't figure out the ammo market yet. Lucked out to get two boxes of 10mm, but no one has M1 Carbine ammo available and some of it is back-ordered to June 2010. Wish I'd saved my old brass so I could get some reloads!

Used guns have softened up a little, at least in terms of sales. I've noticed
that there are more classified ads that are sticking around longer on NES.

New guns the prices are what they are, and will continue to stay there due to inventory and sticky price effect.

-Mike

Almost every store now has some ARs and AKs in stock. Also, most pistols.

Now, if only ammo was back to where it was. I can find ammo for everything I own, just not always the brand or specific bullet I want.

Stick with the small local places and check your prices. Here are some good ones.
- Shooters Box in Malden
- Law Enforcement Equipment in Waltham
- Lee's Guns in Pelham, NH

Used guns have softened up a little, at least in terms of sales. I've noticed
that there are more classified ads that are sticking around longer on NES.

New guns the prices are what they are, and will continue to stay there due to inventory and sticky price effect.

-Mike

I bought two consignment guns in the past two months. Don't be affraid to negotiate hard with them. I got nice deep discounts. One had never been fired and the other was in brand new condition. Four Seasons has a nice selection of consignment firearms.

I bought two consignment guns in the past two months. Don't be affraid to negotiate hard with them. I got nice deep discounts. One had never been fired and the other was in brand new condition. Four Seasons has a nice selection of consignment firearms.

Yup, and some of them never got added to the online list too! [smile]

The market is correcting itself right now. The election caused a gun control panic that set many new gun owners off to go and buy, buy, buy. One example would be "assault weapons." A Romanian AK was selling for $600-$700 at it's peak this year. The import kits were pretty low country wide already and everyone went out and bought. Century, and other importers just got a large parts kits shipment in and went into overtime getting them into the market. In the process, they over-flooded the market and it is now correcting. You can buy a new WASR now for under $400. I will not be surprised if it drops close to $300.

The conflict is that those new guns owners who bought a WASR for $650 still think it is worth that and are trying to sell it for that. I had a good laugh the other day when a guy tried to trade me his WASR and 1000 rounds as a value of $1200. He claimed I was the lunatic for not liking the deal. lol

I think that overproduction due to the election has changed the market. It seems to be getting more reasonable now and will fall further only to bounce back to normal. The issue is that the global warming and healthcare bill have taken center stage so that the weapons ban is not in site yet. Do not be fooled, it is still there and a huge danger. The best strategy is to buy everything you can in this soft market and you will have gold in the long run.

I spoke recently with a contact at one of the major mfgs. In April they were 6-8 months out on orders. As of yesterday they are caught up (no backlog).

My feeling is people can no longer afford to buy, both do to economic woes and demand prices. Just because the manufacturers and used market is seeing more saturation doesn't mean things are getting better. My guess is that those looking to buy already have. (thus the opening up of availability) It might have slowed, but i hesitate to say its turned the corner.

Im sure their are allot of people sitting on multiple receivers and parts Etc. Thinking they could turn a profit. And they are soon going to see that this stuff was not as great an investment as once thought. IE asking 4-5 times the value of a striped lower.

Here in VA, you can get almost any firearm same day if you want it and have enough $. AR's still seem pricey but they are in stock at the local gun shops. Many different choices if you want them.

What is noticeably not available is .380 ACP and .38 special ammo. Most places around here have restrictions on how much you can purchase still of those calibers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the credit card situation has had/is having an effect. Congress sticking its nose where it doesn't belong, as usual, has caused massive rate hikes and freezes on limits.

It was never a good idea to whack a new toy on credit, but its a REALLY bad idea now in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom