Is it expected you haggle at a gun shop?

I was once in the market for an m&p 9. Went into a certain shop and asked how much it would be with tax. After being told the price I realized I didn't have enough on me. "Oh, ok. I'm a little short". Their response...."If you don't like the price, then get the **** out!" I didn't even try to haggle and was planning on going to the ATM. Needless to say, I've been weary of discussing the price on anything ever since.

Talk to Carl, the owner. He is very approachable and very customer oriented. If you don't know what he looks like, there are a couple of pictures of him on the FS contact page, or just ask for him.

Do this. I've done it with consignment guns, with success.

I've also asked in other places and usually get some drop in price.

I'll always pay with cc, but if they offer me a discount, I'll happily pay with a check (or cash if I know in advance).

In two cases I negotiated a price with the owner or manager of the shop and ended up with a discount in the $100s of dollars (both were rare and expensive items, don't know if they were consignment or not but they were both used guns).

I have actually had a dealer tell me he prices thing a little high because he expects to be haggled down some. You can bet I never pay his first price!

I have done it on a couple other shops (and especially gun shows) $25 to $50 off based on the price of the gun is pretty standard.

I actually had another gun dealer I know drop the price from $350, to $300 to $250 on the below gun before I even said anything. (He had me at $300)

I had showed a little interest and he wanted it to leave with me. He just took it in trade 10 minutes before and wanted to flip it for cash. He haggled himself down!

if the price is right, grab it. if the price isn't right ask him politely to take less. Most small local shows have cash flow problems and will gladly drop a little to close the deal.

Aaron[MA];4252851 said:
I think its fine. I've asked for and recieved $ off new guns in LGS. On a used one, its probably expected.

This 100%. If you ask, the worst they can say is no, and then you have the choice of deciding how badly you want it. Another important note is to be sure you have cash in hand if you are going to haggle. If you are planning a layaway, or using credit, then it most likely won't work. Remember cash is king and as long as you aren't making an insulting offer it should work.

Cash discount works with you one man band, small family owned etc. business. Not such a great idea for a company that has a high risk of audit.
Cash has two advantages: 1. the credit card feel; and 2. cash never bounces.

Depends on the volume of business I do with the shop and the relative value. When Four Seasons was blowing out shields at what seemed to be a wholesale price, I wasn't going to Carl, hey could you throw in a box of ammo? I wasn't haggling on the ~$500 wasr-10 either, I think it would be insulting.

Regarding the used guns, I think there maybe some wiggle room there. Once again, stuff flies out of there as long as it is reasonably priced.

The funniest conversation I ever had was with Original Bobs when i was looking for a Ruger SR1911 a few years ago. I asked the guy on the phone for the price, he asks someone in the store, the guy replies $800, the guy on the phone says, do you want to sell that gun, give me a better price. Comes back with a price around $650 or so, I don't remember but it was really competitive, so I bought it over the phone and drove to pick it up immediately.

Chris

Can't believe a company selling guns in MA would actually try to keep 2 sets of books. Cash discount works with you one man band, small family owned etc. business. Not such a great idea for a company that has a high risk of audit.

It's isn't even remotely close to that complicated.

There is two types of audits. One from the IRS, whom if they catch you doing cash business and not reporting the income, means the store is in trouble. (I'll ignore how dumb one has to be to get caught doing this.) The second is an independent CPA that does an audit, typically because of some compliance or loan convenient.

In both cases the bigger the store, the more transactions, the easier it will be to have a couple dozen cash transactions on used or new guns that never hit the books and not get detected. (Again, I'll ignore how dumb one has to be in order to get caught doing this.)

Big picture, it is hard for us (auditors) to catch this type of off the books cash transactions, unless someone is stupid or gets careless.

I am in NO WAY advocating people commit fraud, because that is what it is, and you'll go to prison if you get too cute. But in the real world... It's hard to detect. Your boss will catch you skimming off the till and shit can you well before we do, unless you're real good. But we catch the "real good" ones too, and it gets ugly, real ugly, real fast. It's always that one employee everyone loved and was "so dedicated" to the company.

Yes, absolutely offer less. The worst they'll say is no and you could still buy it for asking anyway. Most of those are consignments and when you do an consignment you're asked for a starting price and lowest price you'll take. So if you are within that range, you should be good.

At the stores I've gone to, most of the guys are easy to talk to. I always ask... something along the lines of "I'm interested in ____, I'd like to make an offer if theres any room to negotiate." Or in two of the stores, where I feel more of a casual guest whos come to hang out, than a customer, I'll just be straight up with the guy, "how about $xxx for the ____?" I like to justify my reasoning for a lower offer sometimes too. If theres nothing wrong with the gun that I can say, or if its not used, I'll tell them - I'm not a new customer, hook me up Joe, youll make up for it on the next guy lol. I usually get 25 bucks off minimum. One shop I go to, sometimes just to shoot the shit, I ask what my price is. He says $550, but for you....$475. Hagglings half the fun honestly. Just have fun with it, dont come off like theyre overpriced and its all good.

About six years ago I bought a consignment gun at FS and I asked if they could do better on the price. They called the consignor who agreed to sell it for less--though I don't recall how much less. So, it's definitely worth asking.
Even on new guns it can't hurt to ask. I recently bought a new rifle at a local shop where I asked if they could come down $50 and we settled at $25. I knew the rifle was over priced and that the owner would still make a decent profit if he agreed to come down.

From a Dealers perspective, Here's how to do it properly.

1. Pay in Cash.
2. Don't offer something completely outrageous.

i'm seeing you have a new VP9 in the case, what do you think about that baby coming to hang out with me at my house while i leave you mister franklin... grant... jackson... aaaaaaaaaaaaand mr. washington is coming to this party THREE TIMES!

Personally I have not haggled at FS. I will tell you that for work I am in sales and have been through "training". The general rule of thumb is to have the conversation. Like many people have said, the worst they can say is no. I will caution however that there is a fine line between a discount and being offensive. If the price is $500 and you offer $300 don't expect them to say yes. Also as someone else mentioned have the money available. I can't imagine what would piss off an owner more than haggling and giving you a discount then you turning to them and saying "sounds good let me get together funds and I will be back in 2 weeks"

I will say though that my Father did business with FS. He was making a purchase and at the time they were running a deal (Discount on the item plus ammo, holster, targets, ect). He needed another week to figure things out, asked if they would extend the deal for him and without hesitation they did and were true to their word.

Now I wish I haggled a little on my PPS. However it was black friday and it was already 5% off cash and a free box of ammo.

Never hurts to ask. I was looking at an expensive rifle at a LGS and asked if they could match the price at another shop (in NH, so no sales tax and a lower price, by ~ $300 total). They said no.

I like finding the value of a firearm ( MSRP if new ) and go from there.

Most stuff is over priced here in Mass.

There's a couple new shops around the south shore and competition is always good [wink]

I was once in the market for an m&p 9. Went into a certain shop and asked how much it would be with tax. After being told the price I realized I didn't have enough on me. "Oh, ok. I'm a little short". Their response...."If you don't like the price, then get the **** out!" I didn't even try to haggle and was planning on going to the ATM. Needless to say, I've been weary of discussing the price on anything ever since.

LMAO, I had a similar experience during the 2012 frenzy. When this happened I looked him dead straight in the eyes and said "What did you ****ing say?" He almost crapped himself. I was shy about $30 in cash and was going to ask if credit card was ok for the difference. As I walked out I said "I was going to ask if I could pay the difference on my credit card but **** your attitude."

I find most people price what they would like for the gun and have a what they will take for the gun. Usually what they will take for the gun is lower.

if you don't want to pay full price for anything its always worth haggling, what is there to lose?

unless its the only one available and you risk pissing the seller off and not getting a chance to buy it of course.

cars, guns, houses, tickets, hotels, you name it, always worth a shot

Most of the used guns at 4S are on consignment. When I've put items on consignment there myself, sometimes I've been asked by an employee what my lowest selling price is, sometimes not. I've also received a call from Carl telling me that there was an interested buyer in his shop and asking if I would take less than my original asking price. So they will work with you if your offer is reasonable. However, if the owner of the item can't be reached immediately and he hadn't stated a "lowest price" you may have to wait until he gets back to Carl. I had this happen to me once and while I was waiting to hear back (I left the store) another patron swooped in and paid the advertised price. Just something to think about too. But I would definitely ask on a used firearm.

S

I've negotiated on every firearm I've ever bought, private and at gun shops. And it's worked on every gun I've had "cash in hand" and was ready to buy....

However, if the owner of the item can't be reached immediately and he hadn't stated a "lowest price" you may have to wait until he gets back to Carl. I had this happen to me once and while I was waiting to hear back (I left the store) another patron swooped in and paid the advertised price.
Been there, done that! [laugh] And I came out on the losing end. Not at FSGuns, but elsewhere. And more than once. [rolleyes] Funny how used consignment guns can sell very quickly right after I find them and make an offer. [wink]

Last edited:
I keep my eye out for used guns that were traded in. If I see it sitting on the shelf for a year, that is when i start negotiation. I usually I start around 30% off the price, I know what the rate on gun broker is and I would rather patronize the LGS, if I can get it at the same price as I could gun-broker (less transfer fees) then I will. If they have a bad attitude, I will purchase it online, in the store and transfer it through them.

I also haggle on firearms that were customized, such as dura-coated an odd color, trigger kits done and other home gun smith projects. I have gotten quite lucky before acquiring a painted Remington 870 for $150 that I knew I was going to treat like crap and drop it in the mud while teaching my wife to shoot.

Last edited:
From a Dealers perspective, Here's how to do it properly.

1. Pay in Cash.
2. Don't offer something completely outrageous.

This.

Know the going rate. I generally know where i can get it for the lowest price. If thats online, then there is a certain premium ill pay for having in my hands. If the dealer is above that ill haggle.

If the dealer is 100 dollars above that im not even going to bother and ill walk out the door. Because if i try to haggle that down to reality somehow i become the a$$hole. So i go buy it wherever it was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom