• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it expected you haggle at a gun shop?

I have had this question for a while. When buying a used gun, is it expected you will haggle at a gun shop? What do you guys think?

Four seasons has a used firearm I am in love with, was curious if anyone has had success haggling the price down. (I haven't tried)

I think its fine. I've asked for and recieved $ off new guns in LGS. On a used one, its probably expected.

I never have. If the price isn't right for me, I walk away. That doesn't mean that I haven't spent more than I should have.

I would on a used gun....prob not on a new one. No harm in trying.

Aaron[MA];4252851 said:
I think its fine. I've asked for and recieved $ off new guns in LGS. On a used one, its probably expected.

Thanks,

I know they buy a used gun for a fraction of what they sell it for, so even if I haggle them down, they will make a killing.

Have you guys had experience with four seasons, specifically?

I always try doesn't hurt to ask. I normally say if I pay cash what will you do for me. Most of the time cash gets a little discount. Either way ask what's it going to hurt, if its a slow day then they may say yes.

Jason.

If the price seems a little high, I always ask if there is a better cash price or if that as low as they can go on it.

I have always managed to get $20-$30 bucks off or a couple boxes of ammo thrown in. Being a regular helps also.

If I have shopped around and the price seems fair, I just pay it and enjoy the gun.

I have had this question for a while. When buying a used gun, is it expected you will haggle at a gun shop? What do you guys think?

Four seasons has a used firearm I am in love with, was curious if anyone has had success haggling the price down. (I haven't tried)

But isn't changing the price on an advertised item unethical? [rolleyes]

I usually try to get a cash discount on new guns and it generally works. I wouldn't call it hagaling but saves me a few bucks.

I used to buy guns at Jurek Brothers in Greenfield they beat all Western Mass shops back then.

I still asked for a deal and usually got $25.00 off or a box of ammo or a S&W coffee mug anything to make me feel like I got a better deal.

Today in my area two shops will dicker the others are over priced and stand firm, so someone is willing to pay.

No luck at FSGuns specifically, but I have had a little luck elsewhere. It really depends on whether or not the gun is fairly priced to begin with or if it's a little on the high side. Also helps if you are well-known to the shop owner. [wink]

It also depends in whether the gun is a consignment piece or shop-owned. A healthy price drop on a consignment gun usually requires owner approval (which I have gotten in a few cases).

As always Cash is King! I will always ask if there is a cash discount or if that is the lowest they will go for someone with cash in hand. If anyone remembers Zenk's in Whittensville, his prices were always marked high because he loved to haggle. If you didn't haggle with him he'd be disappointing. He'd take your cash right away, but in a disappointing way! [laugh]

I used to buy guns at Jurek Brothers in Greenfield they beat all Western Mass shops back then.

I still asked for a deal and usually got $25.00 off or a box of ammo or a S&W coffee mug anything to make me feel like I got a better deal.

Today in my area two shops will dicker the others are over priced and stand firm, so someone is willing to pay.
Care to name the shops? In the thread or via pm is ok too. I think I might have an idea but I want to confirm.

Thanks,

I know they buy a used gun for a fraction of what they sell it for, so even if I haggle them down, they will make a killing.

Have you guys had experience with four seasons, specifically?

I have not haggled at FS.
I have at:
Zero Hour - ($50 off a used PM9)
Hunter Trading Post - ($50 off a new P30)
Sportmans Den ($50 off a new 1911PD and couple boxes of ammo thrown in with other purchases)

You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking, and I'd be surprised if a used gun didn't get haggled down. I'd bet they have much larger margins on used/traded in guns.

Probably works better at a smaller shop - Four Seasons does so much business I doubt they can be bothered to haggle. I'm sure they will on consignment though, since the price is up to the owner.

I always try doesn't hurt to ask. I normally say if I pay cash what will you do for me. Most of the time cash gets a little discount. Either way ask what's it going to hurt, if its a slow day then they may say yes.

Jason.

Can't believe a company selling guns in MA would actually try to keep 2 sets of books. Cash discount works with you one man band, small family owned etc. business. Not such a great idea for a company that has a high risk of audit.

Can't believe a company selling guns in MA would actually try to keep 2 sets of books. Cash discount works with you one man band, small family owned etc. business. Not such a great idea for a company that has a high risk of audit.

It isnt the audit. It is paying the credit card fee that they lose out on. That is why some gas stations do a cash price and a credit price.

Talk to Carl, the owner. He is very approachable and very customer oriented. If you don't know what he looks like, there are a couple of pictures of him on the FS contact page, or just ask for him.

+1 A very reasonable gentleman.

Talk to Carl, the owner. He is very approachable and very customer oriented. If you don't know what he looks like, there are a couple of pictures of him on the FS contact page, or just ask for him.

What's so shady about this? How is it different from someone using a coupon?

To answer the original question, I'll haggle if I think the price is too high. If I think the price is close enough, I'll see what they can do if I pay in cash. I try not to bust their balls over a small amount because I like having shops around.

What's so shady about this? How is it different from someone using a coupon?

To answer the original question, I'll haggle if I think the price is too high. If I think the price is close enough, I'll see what they can do if I pay in cash. I try not to bust their balls over a small amount because I like having shops around.

The misundertanding is that cash sometimes = under the table, when in this case it so the cc fees that are being avoided.

The misundertanding is that cash sometimes = under the table, when in this case it so the cc fees that are being avoided.

I get the taking the 2.5% discount for cash vs. CC, not under the table, but the OP was referring to haggling. That cash is usually under the table. 2% in my mind is not haggling, on say a $500 gun, it is $10. If you have the right CC, you might be getting 2% cash back so it breaks even.

I was thinking, cash under the table is 40% you don't pay in taxes so I will give you a 20% discount kind of haggling.

I always ask. The worst they can say is "No." Well, I suppose they could say no and throw you out, but I've never had that happen. My experience with Four Seasons is that they are pretty firm on prices, but that's just my experience. Collectors has always been willing to take something off. I find that sometimes cash can be an incentive. Since I never use a credit card to buy guns, I always bring cash with me.

Four Seasons usually has pretty good prices to begin with compared to other local stores. Cash does give a further discount. Also, I have gotten some ammo/accessory deals when buying a firearm. I always ask if they can do anything or have any other deals or discounts.

Other local shops vary but all have been receptive to asking for a better deal. I have gotten some deals like multiple transfers for one fee or a better price for cash. I find that it helps to deal with people who know you.

Im only happy if I haggle. If they won't do it, generally I'll still pay if its not outrageous. A free coffee mug would even make me happy to sweeten the deal. What I don't like is if a small LGS won't match another small LGS's price on a new gun even for a box of cheap ammo's worth of savings. A small gun shop in Waltham wouldn't match the small price difference on a SR22 at the price Collectors Gallery was asking.

As for personal sales, I always mark up a bit over what would make me happy to be paid so I can make the buyer happy.

Back
Top Bottom