Is it expected you haggle at a gun shop?

I haggle on pre-owned firearms because they probably bought the gun for 50% or less what than what they are selling it. I only haggle on new guns if its priced unreasonably and even then I'm more likely to walk out and find it somewhere else.

I haggle on pre-owned firearms because they probably bought the gun for 50% or less what than what they are selling it. I only haggle on new guns if its priced unreasonably and even then I'm more likely to walk out and find it somewhere else.

Done this before, LGS wouldn't budge on overpriced item, asked them for a copy of their FFL, went onto Gunbroker and purchased the firearm and transferred it to the LGS (All said and done, saved $200). The way I figure it, they still got my business for the transfer fees.

Sometimes it does [rofl]...

Someobody showed me that clip awhile ago. The owner of the gun shop got pissed for a little of a reason in my opinion. Maybe not to the point he should have thrown a temper tantrum but.....turns out he was initially not a fan of having them come in and film that transaction because he had a feeling they would try to haggle him down on camer because of the nature of the show (pawn shop reality)........and that being on camery would have him more inclined to give them a better deal. The "customer" aka "hardcore pawn" swore he was not going to haggle and they just wanted to video them buying guns for "protection" and then he went and asked for discounts anyway. Whatever......drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy & sell a great deal of reloading items. I don't act like a f*cking dink when I am buying, but I like to get a fair price. When selling, I am always out to make a deal, as long as the buyer isn't acting like a f*cking dink.

Don't be a f*cking dink about it, and you should be all set.

Carl from four seasons is one of the nicer gun shop owners I've met, he may or may not reduce the price on a used gun but he won't freak out if you try to haggle. Once I went to the Ware gun shop and asked the owner if he would take less and he had a conniption fit, I though he was going to throw me out of the shop!

- - - Updated - - -

I buy & sell a great deal of reloading items. I don't act like a f*cking dink when I am buying, but I like to get a fair price. When selling, I am always out to make a deal, as long as the buyer isn't acting like a f*cking dink.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

I am a cheap sob and almost always ask. I have been given a discount for being a Green member. I have been told yes/no, whatever. I have gotten discounts for buying multiple guns. Heck, I have even gotten yelled at for buying from another dealer because I didn't ask my 'home' LGS to price match a gun they had at a higher price.

So bottom line(my .02) is that if you think there is room to haggle, then do so. It's just a transaction, so take all factors into account and don't read anything into it. Meaning, if the guy says, sorry, no, then either buy it or walk away, but don't get emotional about it. When haggling on new guns, always take into account the value of your time/gas if you are asking the dealer to match someone 40 miles away.

Originally Posted by Bendad97

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? (Posted by Volkl78)

Just as long as she isn't acting like a f*cking dink. People who won't pony up $21.00 to support the forum could be considered f*cking dinks as well...

Last edited:
It is easier to negotiate in the real rather than the theoretical. There is a difference between "will you take $500 for that gun" and "I'll take it now if you give it to me for $500". Show you are ready to buy, and you may be taken seriously.

Hotels as pretty much standard policy will let a room stay vacant before they negotiate at the front desk - because they know that once the word gets out they negotiate, everyone will be demanding a deal. Similarly some shops will not negotiate and let a "good for them" deal go for the same reason.

It is easier to negotiate in the real rather than the theoretical. There is a difference between "will you take $500 for that gun" and "I'll take it now if you give it to me for $500". Show you are ready to buy, and you may be taken seriously.

Hotels as pretty much standard policy will let a room stay vacant before they negotiate at the front desk - because they know that once the word gets out they negotiate, everyone will be demanding a deal. Similarly some shops will not negotiate and let a "good for them" deal go for the same reason.
I usually pay what people ask if I know it to be fair. If someone has the price jacked up assuming someone will haggle or is stupid, that's usually a turn-off for me. I don't enjoy wheeling and dealing, but understand it's a personality trait of others.

My rule of thumb is to be educated, and if the discount I seek is convenient for me (ie, I could get it elsewhere for a bit of a deal, but at another time and location), I'll offer the price I could get it for elsewhere. If I'm there because I'm a loyal customer, I trust I'll be taken care of (even if it's finding a brick of .22LR when there is a panic).

Back
Top Bottom