IPSC Handgun Advice

I am looking to get involved in IPSC and would like to know what everyone thinks would be a good 9mm gun to compete in the production division. I currently own a M&P 40 and a Glock 27 and am finding out that those are not the best guns to use.. I cant seem to hit anything consistent due to the recoil and short barrel .

Thanks

Keith

While not an optimal gun for Production division, the M&P in .40 is not what's going to hold you back anytime soon. I shoot a 9mm in Production. I don't exactly suck, but there are a couple guys shooting .357 Sig who routinely kick my ass.

Before you go dumping cash into a new gun, compete with the M&P until you learn the game a little. Try some other guns and then decide.

BTW, the most common Production guns seem to be Glocks (G17, G34, etc) and the M&P.

Before you go dumping cash into a new gun, compete with the M&P until you learn the game a little. Try some other guns and then decide.

+1

Part of the answer is what is your purpose in shooting? Are you trying to win the competition? Or get some practice with your carry gun? If the latter, its obvious, shoot your carry gun!

I would like to compete which will also make me better at shot with my carry gun.The M&P is a subcompact.

Thanks

Keith

Using you carry gun will be great. You will get far better at drawing, shooting, moving while shooting etc. Keep in mind there are lots of tactics that help you win at IPSC that will get you killed on the street. Temper your IPSC with proper defense training.

As you are in MA, you are actually shooting USPSA events. IPSC is the international organization, of which USPSA is the American member (and a very significant member).

Anyhow, if the object of the exercise is to shoot YOUR carry gun well, that is the gun you should be shooting. IF you want to be more "tactical," you might also try IDPA.

If you are looking for a gun to make you more competitive in USPSA matches AND - repeat, AND - need/want to buy a new gun, I would suggest a full-size M&P. You are already familiar with the platform and shooting one will reinforce skills for your carry gun.

IF you reload, getting another .40 will simplify your life. If you don't, getting a 9mm will reduce your costs because 9mm is cheaper than .40. In a full-size gun, I suspect you will find it also noticeably less "snappy" and more controllable.

Your money; your call.

As you are in MA, you are actually shooting USPSA events. IPSC is the international organization, of which USPSA is the American member (and a very significant member).

I didn't want to overwhelm the guy with details such as the widening gap between IPSC and USPSA. We still have the better game since we can continue to use our politically incorrect "humanoid" targets and those little mini-poppers that IPSC worries look too much like little children.

I agree with going with fullsize .40 M&P. I love mine. It just happens to be my carry gun also. I have been thinking of a "summer" CCW and would probably pick a .40 for reloading purpose (practice rounds) I plan to train and shoot the summer gun also in competition.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I am not familiar with all the acronyms and what they stand for yet. My club is involed in IPSC that is why I chose that to start. I am open to all.

Thanks for all the info..

Keith

There are only a handful of IPSC events in the US, everything else is USPSA, but don't worry about what you call it as the rules are similar as are most of the division.

Uspsa-ne.org lists where the matches are. show up at one, let the Match Director know you are new and they will set you up with a more experienced shooter.

Bring what ya gots and come have some fun. Seriously, I have never in my life met such a bunch of great people as I have with USPSA shooters. Come to a match wth the gear you have and tell the ROs you are a new shooter and they will be sure to show you the ropes. As has been stated...get your feet wet before you worry about gear.

Bring what ya gots and come have some fun. Seriously, I have never in my life met such a bunch of great people as I have with USPSA shooters. Come to a match wth the gear you have and tell the ROs you are a new shooter and they will be sure to show you the ropes. As has been stated...get your feet wet before you worry about gear.

Excellent suggestion. Learn the ropes before you start spending $. As you become more experienced your choices will most likely change.

I didn't want to overwhelm the guy with details such as the widening gap between IPSC and USPSA. We still have the better game since we can continue to use our politically incorrect "humanoid" targets and those little mini-poppers that IPSC worries look too much like little children.

This is a matter of opinion. They have their "politically correct" targets but, since the disaster at the World Shoot in Florida in 1986, we can no longer reholster a pistol during a course of fire. This decision by the USPSA BOD has dramatically changed field courses, and not for the better.

This is a matter of opinion. They have their "politically correct" targets but, since the disaster at the World Shoot in Florida in 1986, we can no longer reholster a pistol during a course of fire. This decision by the USPSA BOD has dramatically changed field courses, and not for the better.

What happened at the 86 World shoot? What kind of crazy courses of fire were there that required you to holster a loaded gun during the stage?

Just run what you have and see if you like it.

Sorry to drift but... I've found I prefer a bunch of the IPSC rules. The targets are harder and there are no lucky head shots. How many times have you scored for someone and found one in the lower A and one in the upper A? That's not two good hits, that's someone getting lucky.

There's other stuff like Production, the power factor differences, and Standard vs Limited, where IPSC rules make some sense to keep things interesting. I've tried both back to back and it was eye opening.

Last edited:
What happened at the 86 World shoot? What kind of crazy courses of fire were there that required you to holster a loaded gun during the stage?
There was a situation where a competitor discharged a round into his leg upon reholstering uner pressure of the shot timer. USPSA rule 8.2.5 states "A course of fire must never require the competitor to re-holster a handgun after the start signal...."

I was not on the USPSA board at the time of the initial policy change, but I did vote to approve the most recent rulebook, and did not object to this rule, so those who dislike can direct blame in my direction.

Consider a major match - you have 200-300 competitors; various skill levels; and holsters ranging from race specialty holsters to street worthy carry rigs. There is a very real safety risk of pressuring competitors to attempt to "speed holster" under the stopwatch - and yes, there will be pressure when the other competitors in your division will be doing speed holstering. Sure, allowing reholstering would make some stages more interesting - but I don't think it's worth it.

Re-holstering is something that should be done slowly and carefully. It's virtually unheard of for persons in civilian self defense situations to have to speed holster and give chase, so we're not losing any "realism" for the kind of situations in which the competitor's sidearm will reasonably be called upon to be used in defensive deployment.

On the other hand, you can count on my to oppose any restrictions in stage design that appeal to political correctness.

IPSC has discouraged the use of scenarios in describing stages; moved towards a PC non-headed target (something they denies when they introduced it as "separate but equal" - but proceeded to first remove the traditional target from the rulebook, and then disallow it in all IPSC matches); requested the Phillipine hosts of a world shoot take stage diagrams off the web since they prevented certain competitors from obfuscating the nature of the sport in which they engaged; and came up with the silly assertion that the use of various sized pepper poppers was simulating children (they are used to simulate distance, not children or cannabilistic pygmies).

A big part of the bifurcation between USPSA and IPSC was driven by the increasing pressure to place the PC game by IPSC, and the lack of a desire on the part of US shooters to start watering down the sport in the hopes that some anti gunner would react with "See, they use bland targets on boring stages ... I guess we don't need to push for gun bans after all since what really bothered us was the targets, not the civilian possession of firearms".

Last edited:
Back in the days when the Colt Government model was ruler of the game, competitors had to hang from ropes on walls, go over 6 ft high walls and other crazy stuff.

Back to the original question...

If you want to go 9mm for Production class in USPSA, you will also probably find IDPA SSP (Stock Service Pistol) class almost identical. In either case here would be my list of best recommendations.

- Glock 17, Glock 34 ( same as G17 just longer barrel) - these are by far the most popular guns shot in IDPA- here is a link to the equipment survey at the IDPA Nationals- http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=215

- Sig P226 USPSA model- http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=258 I just read a review on this new gun last night in a magazine and it got very high marks.

- Springfield XD- tough to find in Mass

- M&P 9mm- factory trigger is not too good so you would need to do trigger work ($)

Back
Top Bottom