• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introduction, may be moving from Austin to Mass.

Hey guys, it looks like I will be moving to Massachusetts in a year or so, just wanted to introduce myself.

My grandfather on my mother's side was a Lance Corporal in artillery who was captured at the Battle of Kasserine Pass.

On my father's side, I come from 3 generations of Marines. My grandfather fought on Guadalcanal and received a purple heart after sustaining Japanese grenade injuries. My father was trained as a marksman in Vietnam-era. A knee injury had him discharged.

The Marine side of the family taught me to shoot. Unfortunately, my father wasn't the greatest guy, but my grandfathers on the other hand, I looked up to as a gods. They were my models for men and integrity.

I have been shooting long guns since I could practically stand. My hunting rifle as a teenager was a Remington 700 chamber in 7 mm mag. My bird gun was a Browning Auto 5. I only ever plinked with pistols before now.

I lost my Marine grandfather over 2 years ago. I found his serial number and tattooed it on my shoulder. Then I did the same for my African theater grandfather on the other shoulder. He's 93 and not in the greatest health. Both carried the M1911 as their service sidearm.

My dad told me if I "carried on the tradition" of joining The Corps he would kill me first, so, being interested in science, I went to college, worked 3 jobs to pay for it, now 10 years later, I am finishing my PhD in climate science and isotope geochemistry (basically using the chemistry of cave deposits and corals to reconstruct temperatures and rainfall). I study the tropical west Pacific, so I have actually "lived" in the major areas of the Solomon Islands campaign: Munda, Guadalcanal, Naru, Olasana, etc. for months. I have been on Kennedy Island. I've also been to where the Americans built a base in Vanuatu. It was emotionally overwhelming to stand where my grandfather stood prepared to fight to the death 1942.

The opportunity came for me to buy an older (early 80's) Auto-Ordinance GI configured (with the exception of an aftermarket sight) for a good price. I had wanted one forever and couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a replica of what my grandfathers had been relying on when they had been willing to lay down their lives.

Being an isotope geochemist means being mechanically inclined: it's all instrument work (when it's not grueling fieldwork). You have to be a fearless (but safe!) tinkerer. So I immediately taught myself, using available resources, how to completely disassemble the pistol, work on the sear spring.

Those of you who know AO guns know the early West Hurley AO 1911's have a bad reputation. I cleaned the gun (it looked like it had never been cleaned or really even shot), adjusted the leaf springs, replaced the firing pin return spring, recoil spring, etc. It works perfectly. I've put about 500 rounds through it.

Anyway, I know the reputation of Massachusetts and I've been doing some background reading, mostly from this site (thank you for this resource). I'd likely be moving to a town with mixed experience with LTC-A permitting (Falmouth/Woods Hole area). Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. Great site.

Welcome to the PRM, and NES.

Do yourself a favor, and do ALL your (hand) gun shopping in Texas before you move. It's better to get what you want there, and bring it, than to move here and not be able to get what you want.

Avoid MA like a case of the clap.... if you can come to NH do it, If not NH, Vermont, anywhere but MA.... trust me

Please listen to those of us who advise you against moving to MA. We speak from experience. If you're able to move to NH or VT, they will be much better for you on the Freedom Index.

Welcome to the site!

That being said don't do it, stay away from MA.
The moonbats out number the sane people here.

I'm a Marine stationed here and I can't wait to leave.
If there is some gun that you really want to have buy it before moving to this hole.

smitty

Welcome.

Any rifles you own will most likely have to be neutered before bringing them here. If you want any handguns without a 15lb trigger pull; buy them before you move and leave the new high-cap mags behind. Like others have said, do yourself a favor and live in NH if you can.

Two of my kids were born in Austin. Think long and hard about how you feel about yankees before you decide to surround yourself with them.

Welcome!

To those who suggest moving to NH - i guess with his PhD in climate science and isotope geochemistry he is going to work at one of the Woods Hole institutes...that would be quite a commute from NH [wink]

Welcome aboard ChrisATX! Will you be working in the Falmouth area?

Thanks for the welcomes, folks. I have been doing a lot of reading. The consensus is definitely that I need to buy then move. The gun I own is already not approved since it's a pre-series 80 1911 (no firing pin stop safety).

I will be working in MA. It wouldn't do me a lot of good to have a CCP in a surrounding state and then spend all my time working in MA without any reciprocity.

Welcome aboard. First thing on NES, if you aren't browsing from a phone or a slow connection, change your posts per page under settings or else everything looks like a 40 page thread.
Read this thread, twice.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56054-MOVING-to-Massachusetts-Read-Here-First!

If you are working in Woods Hole, you'll probably need to live in MA as there is no quick way there from NH. It will be a culture shock coming from TX but it is possible to get an LTC here, its just a giant PITA compared to everywhere else.

Welcome!

To those who suggest moving to NH - i guess with his PhD in climate science and isotope geochemistry he is going to work at one of the Woods Hole institutes...that would be quite a commute from NH [wink]

You got it! I don't know whether it's definite or not, but it's a possibility and a damn good one in every way, except that apparently Massachusetts has outright un-Constitutional gun laws.

Welcome aboard. First thing on NES, if you aren't browsing from a phone or a slow connection, change your posts per page under settings or else everything looks like a 40 page thread.
Read this thread, twice.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56054-MOVING-to-Massachusetts-Read-Here-First!

If you are working in Woods Hole, you'll probably need to live in MA as there is no quick way there from NH. It will be a culture shock coming from TX but it is possible to get an LTC here, its just a giant PITA compared to everywhere else.

Thanks George. I'm originally from FL. Born and raised in a super redneck family, first (and still only) one to even go to college. I got my Bachelors and Masters in Chemical Oceanography there, I've only been in Austin for 4 years getting my PhD.

Agreed with the others, but the guns first! Haha. I'm from mass, and recently moved to NH. But the area up here is awesome. You have everything from beaches to mountains, within an hour. Just find a green town! Now staht practicin' ya accent. Wicked cool! :)

Agreed with the others, but the guns first! Haha. I'm from mass, and recently moved to NH. But the area up here is awesome. You have everything from beaches to mountains, within an hour. Just find a green town! Now staht practicin' ya accent. Wicked cool! :)

My girlfriend is originally from New England, I've spent quite a bit of time in the White Mountains, especially during snowboarding season. Only been to the Cape a few times, but I love it. I miss weather. Austin has none.

No, I was going to ask the same thing. Wondering what the schools are teaching him.

It's honestly something I don't get riled up about any more. My "teaching" was in fundamental physics, chemistry, and oceanography, not any lefty propaganda that gives real climate science a bad name (don't ever ask a real climate scientist what they think of Al Gore). Now I'm not the one being taught, I'm the one doing the finding out, at this level. I use the thermodynamics of isotopes in things like cave deposits and coral skeletons to determine how climate has changed independent of any thermometers/human observations.

This is me: http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/students/maupin/

It's honestly something I don't get riled up about any more. My "teaching" was in fundamental physics, chemistry, and oceanography, not any lefty propaganda that gives real climate science a bad name (don't ever ask a real climate scientist what they think of Al Gore). Now I'm not the one being taught, I'm the one doing the finding out, at this level. I use the thermodynamics of isotopes in things like cave deposits and coral skeletons to determine how climate has changed independent of any thermometers/human observations.

This is me: http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/students/maupin/

Nice..how do you measure O18? Did you use ICP-MS for the other isotopic ratios (and if so..magnetic sector, quadrupole, or TOFMS)?

Nice..how do you measure O18? Did you use ICP-MS for the other isotopic ratios (and if so..magnetic sector, quadrupole, or TOFMS)?

Gas source with with a tungsten cathode, 10 kV acceleration, magnetic sector, multicollector Farraday array.

Here's my West Hurley mutt. Needs a GI style trigger still.

URL]

welcome aboard NES and if you do have to come here welcome to Mass. I love Austin fyi...great place to be.

Back
Top Bottom