• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introduction, may be moving from Austin to Mass.

Welcome to NES. [wave] Leave your freedoms at the MA border with a friend. You can reclaim them when you leave. [wink]

You got it! I don't know whether it's definite or not, but it's a possibility and a damn good one in every way, except that apparently Massachusetts has outright un-Constitutional gun laws.

The rest of our laws aren't too good either, but you'll discover that for yourself. Seriously consider buying any handguns that you want before you get here. BTW, regarding the list/roster...just because a gun appears there doesn't mean that dealers can sell them, so buy before you fly.

Getting an LTC in RI doesn't sounds like an easy prospect.

Depends what town you live in. Took me 3 months to get mine with little hassle. That aside, RI has very good firearms laws. NFA items are banned but everything else is legal and you can even possess and empty cartridge case without getting arrested!

If you are going to Falmouth, Woods Hole or working on the Cape, RI is probably a long drive- at least an hour with no traffic, but if you lived in the Little Compton it might not be too bad. Real estate is going to cost a fortune in that area however.

Gas source with with a tungsten cathode, 10 kV acceleration, magnetic sector, multicollector Farraday array.

Yeah, thats how I do it too. ;)

I'd say make the NH thing work if you can, but thats a horrendous commute. At the very least, try and find a green town close to where you're working. Welcome to MA.

BTW, when you're on the highway up here, "Yield" means "GTF out of my way !"

Welcome. Woods Hole is filled with earthy crunchy hippies, academics, tourists in the summer, and obscenely wealthy ppl. Other than that its great. Awesome striper fishing along the Elizabeths. Due to WHOI there are lots of places that rent rooms or houses to the scientists, should you decide to rent. If you're looking to buy, Woods Hole, West Falmouth and North Falmouth are ridiculously expensive. Generally, the further away from the water you get, the cheaper the houses (obviously). Traffic sucks in the summer, especially in Woods Hole because all the effn roads are 1 lane of traffic each way.
My family has a house in Falmouth, so I've spent most of my summers down there. Its a great place and its even nicer in the fall when things quiet down from all the tourists going home.

Thanks for the welcomes, folks. I have been doing a lot of reading. The consensus is definitely that I need to buy then move. The gun I own is already not approved since it's a pre-series 80 1911 (no firing pin stop safety).

I will be working in MA. It wouldn't do me a lot of good to have a CCP in a surrounding state and then spend all my time working in MA without any reciprocity.

Please read the MA gun law stickies in the MA Gun Law sub-forum.

Lists/approval means NOTHING wrt what you can own, ONLY what a MA Dealer can transfer to you!

So bring any handgun you like with you (as long as it doesn't meet the definition of a post-ban AW), as long as you have 10 rd mags or mags of any higher capacity (only if mfd on/before 9/13/1994). NOTE: It is >5 rd shotgun mags that are forbidden if not pre-ban, >10 rd mags for pistol or rifle.

Rifles can't be "semi-auto assault weapons" (configured that way) unless they too were mfd on/prior to 9/13/1994.

And, listen closely- Martha Coakley is the devil. Martha Coakley is the devil. Martha Coakley is the devil. Is she satan? No. She wants to take your guns away.

Also, dont trust any democrat who lives inside 495. They are weenie douchebags.

I am comfortable going on record with this.

Again, welcome Dr.

One more thing, Plan on a 35-40% (minimum) increase in living expenses in MA. Higher car insurance, higher life insurance. Food is about 70% more expensive ( a .29/lb roaster in Texas will cost you 1.70/lb in MA). Rent is triple what you are use to paying. The decent $800/mo apartment in Austin will run you $2400/mo up here. In some places be prepared to pay for your parking (stickers and town fees). There is a fee for everything! Property taxes are crazy if you own. And we have a State Income Tax.

Just prepping you. I have a Ranch North of Ft. Hancock and go back and forth. Lot cheaper in Texas.

One more thing, Plan on a 35-40% (minimum) increase in living expenses in MA. Higher car insurance, higher life insurance. Food is about 70% more expensive ( a .29/lb roaster in Texas will cost you 1.70/lb in MA). Rent is triple what you are use to paying. The decent $800/mo apartment in Austin will run you $2400/mo up here. In some places be prepared to pay for your parking (stickers and town fees). There is a fee for everything! Property taxes are crazy if you own. And we have a State Income Tax.

Just prepping you. I have a Ranch North of Ft. Hancock and go back and forth. Lot cheaper in Texas.

Get used to excise taxes

And don't forget that at the border they labotomize you so you will fall in line. Repeat after me...

Selfishly speaking, though, we want this guy up here!

[laugh] Thank you everyone for the advice. What groups should I join if I become an resident to advocate for second amendment rights?

Chris,
Welcome to the PRM, NES and Cape Cod. I live approx 8 miles from Woods Hole PM when you get here if you need to be shown around, especially the local clubs. In addition to what has been written above about costs, food on the Cape at the supermarkets is really expensive (except for the new DeMoulas ?sp) at the foot of the Sagamore Bridge. As for dealing with Ph.D. moonbats I've got thirty years of dealing with them as a Ph.D who thinks like the rest of the folks here on this board. Life can be really weird with the moonbat community all around you.
Steve

Too bad about the corps. If you want to join do it. Welcome and get too ass backward laws in mass. You will useful info on this sight and everyone is joy to talk too. Good luck with the move.

Thank you guys for the warm, warm welcome. This board seems fantastic.

Steve,

I will definitely take you up on your offer.

What's the NE definition of a green county?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do I have to take my LTC course and apply IN my county of residence?

Ha, you think Austin is weird? What till you get a load of Cambridge.

Chris,
Welcome to the PRM, NES and Cape Cod. I live approx 8 miles from Woods Hole PM when you get here if you need to be shown around, especially the local clubs. In addition to what has been written above about costs, food on the Cape at the supermarkets is really expensive (except for the new DeMoulas ?sp) at the foot of the Sagamore Bridge. As for dealing with Ph.D. moonbats I've got thirty years of dealing with them as a Ph.D who thinks like the rest of the folks here on this board. Life can be really weird with the moonbat community all around you.
Steve

I was brought up in the traditional deep south culture and around hunting camps and ex-Marines (all southerners), I was exposed to (inundated with) the most hardcore of social and religious conservatism and blatant racism. I've seen more negligent discharges from drunkenness than I care to admit.

I ended up at the opposite of the spectrum, I am socially as liberal as it gets. I'm also aggressively atheist and pro-science. I'm at the pinnacle of the education system through choice and hard work (I worked 3 jobs to pay for my undergrad, I was an aquarist, a boat shop tech, and a teaching assistant). I'm a registered Independent.

Now, I spend time, hang out and keep company with, as you might guess, equally socially liberal people that hold many of the same viewpoints as me on those crazy topics like evolution, abortion and same sex marriage.

Once the threshold of regulations on weapons possession, usually guns, is crossed, in conversation, things diverge and pretty quickly... I'm not trying to reinforce any stereotypes, like liberals want to take your guns, but it's easy to see sometimes how these stereotypes are arrived at.

And there are tons of morons who should never be around a firearm. Or motor vehicle. Etc.

My one friend calls me a "Molon Labe Liberal".

Last edited:
From your background, even though you call yourself a Liberal, your beliefs are probably more in line with a typical Northeast Conservative.

From your background, even though you call yourself a Liberal, your beliefs are probably more in line with a typical Northeast Conservative.

I imagine there is probably a world of difference between a southern, red state conservative and a northeast conservative.

I imagine there is probably a world of difference between a southern, red state conservative and a northeast conservative.

There's often a world of difference between one southern red state conservative and another southern red state conservative. One's political beliefs don't always fit into neat little boxes.

Ma isn't that bad once you learn how it runs, and we have better carry laws than texas once you actually have the license.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you guys for the warm, warm welcome. This board seems fantastic.

Steve,

I will definitely take you up on your offer.

What's the NE definition of a green county?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do I have to take my LTC course and apply IN my county of residence?

Chris, while we have county government in MA it is very limited. What will have the greatest impact on your 2A rights in MA is the city or town you live in, at least in regards to the type of LTC you get. The state laws/regulations are bad, but at least they're universally bad across the whole state. In MA you can have a 'green' town right next door to a 'red' town. IOW, geography plays a big part in your licensing.

Take this advice. Read and check around. The fact that we have attorneys who specialize in MA licensing issues should tell you a lot about the environment here. I'm not knocking the attorneys, they're providing a needed service. My gripe is that we have a state where such services are needed.

Best wishes to you.

We don't have strong county gov't in the PRM. Your "right to carry" is determined by the city or town Cleo. Check out the town your thinking of moving to get an idea of the degree of difficulty of obtaining a permit.
For classes Bass River R & G in Yarmouth has one monthly. There are lots of classes around though.
Steve

Oh lord, not again. Are you sure there isn't work in your field available in NH? Or even CT? Just think about it real hard before taking the plunge. You can't legally own a firearm here without permission from your CLEO via FID or LTC.

Back
Top Bottom