• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

#@%&ing Caterpillars

I am absolutely swimming in caterpillars this year....trees stripped bare.

So much poop that it sounds like you are walking on pepper.

What the hell are they?

Canker worms.......little suckers can eat! It has been raining them on the cape, they hank from silk threads like spider webs. Worse I've seen in years..

Buy the trap bag and put it near your crab apple trees, either that or have the trees sprayed with high test pesticide. Its your only hope.

I going to bust out the pressure washer this weekend and try to blast away some of the mess they made [angry]

Those ****ing inchworm things are all over a house I just helped someone moved into. I spent all day walking into them in Lynn.

I'm getting killed with them too. when I go out at night it sounds like it's raining from all the chewing and crapping they are doing.

Canker worms.......little suckers can eat! It has been raining them on the cape, they hank from silk threads like spider webs. Worse I've seen in years..

Oddly enough they only showed up here for a few days and very small numbers this year. Last year I was in my backyard taking a piss in complete darkness. I started to hear this sound I couldn't pin down. Sounded like it was coming from everywhere. This light rubbing/crunching sound. I turned on the flashlight to see what had to be a freaking million of them. [shocked] All heading to and climbing up the large trees at the back of my yard. Everywhere I looked the ground was moving. The noise was because they were going over the previous year's dried out yard debris. They were all over the tree trunks in rows just climbing, riding silk out on the breeze back down to the yard and starting all over again. It was oddly mesmerizing. They were a nightmare in my garden.

I was just talking to a buddy about these. He didn't believe all the little black pellets all over his truck was caterpillar shit.

I'm just glad I put the top up on my jeep the other day, the entire thing was covered in it by the morning.

I nuked them a week ago. My trees seem to be ok.

how did you do it?? my biggest problem is the 40' ish maple over the driveway. when it rained on monday i had a 1/32" coating of green s##t
on the drive

- - - Updated - - -

I was just talking to a buddy about these. He didn't believe all the little black pellets all over his truck was caterpillar shit.

I'm just glad I put the top up on my jeep the other day, the entire thing was covered in it by the morning.

easy to convince your friend---hit the pellets with water and they turn manure green

I have seen the gypsy moth nests in trees along the highway.
Gypsy moths do not make tents webs or nests. The ones you see in the fall are from the fall webworm. If you see tents nests or webs now its definately some other moth species. Got forestry degree?

I was gonna start a thread about these, i am overrun by these little green @@@@@@@ and it has made doing yard work impossible. Walking thru webs and then finding the little @@@@@@ on me everywhere reddens my ass. They are stripping my trees bare. @&$&@@&&@@@, not to mention my car is covered in their s@@@ and looks like pepper corns everywhere

Call a reputable tree service, have an Arborist come out and ID the insects & put you on a treatment program.

This I have been having my trees sprayed since 2004 sometimes we are the only green trees on the street. We had some oak and maple trees that where along the house that never recovered from a heavy infestation...we ended up removing them. Since the treatment trees are heathy and no shit.

So thats what that is? Anyone know a good touchless car wash near framingham?

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

how did you do it?? my biggest problem is the 40' ish maple over the driveway. when it rained on monday i had a 1/32" coating of green s##t
on the drive

I borrow my father's Solo gas powered mist blower and a slightly stronger concentration of whatever he put in it. 10 ft folding ladder to get higher and 3 days later - almost no more caterpillars.

I had my property sprayed last week ($185.00 by Bartlett tree) and there were so many dead caterpillars on the driveway it looked like a green carpet. I had a thousand birds (including mallard ducks) all over the lawn and driveway eating them up. Luckily the spray is non-toxic to birds.

The pine and spruce trees got attacked by sawfly larvae this year for first time. They're green with black heads and they wiped out 3/4 of a tree in one day. Killed them off with Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew concentrate. Anything with spinosad kills them. Says it's for organic gardens and I believe it says it's a type of Carribean fungus that kills, not a chemical poison. So far so good after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom