Inexpensive AR Trigger: LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger. Now only $80.00!

I just received my LeRue trigger today and dropped it in. If anyone is on the fence - get it! I'm very happy with the feel. Some had mentioned they didnt like the wide trigger but I'm immediately comfortable with it. I'll be ordering a second and third as a result of this thread

Last edited:
Well I just tried to install an MBT trigger into my Stag and could not make it work properly.

I studied the Brownell's video on YouTube and was fairly confident that I knew what to do. Disassembly went smoothly and I spent a little time studying the parts then went at it. Was able to get everything in fairly easily and was sure that it was correct. However I could not get it to work consistently. A first pull on the trigger would drop the hammer, but when I re-cocked it, it would not fire. I had to push the trigger body forward a very little bit to make it operate. It seemed as if the trigger assembly was moving just every so slightly in the opening where the trigger exits the frame. And the trigger pin had a bad habit of falling out the right side of the frame

After about a half an hour of trying I gave up and took the LaRue trigger and hammer out. I then took a Stoner enhanced trigger/hammer assembly and put that it. It went well and everything worked as advertised. That trigger pull felt nice and smooth, better than the stock Stag trigger I took out.

??? My Stag is probably an earlier model, serial number is in the 48,000 range. And where most of the videos I watched called for a 5/32" punch to remove and install the pins, I had to go to a 1/8" punch, the 5/32" would not fit in the pin holes. Any ideas? I might try it in my Colt rifle if I can figure out just what was going wrong for me.

Well I just tried to install an MBT trigger into my Stag and could not make it work properly.

I studied the Brownell's video on YouTube and was fairly confident that I knew what to do. Disassembly went smoothly and I spent a little time studying the parts then went at it. Was able to get everything in fairly easily and was sure that it was correct. However I could not get it to work consistently. A first pull on the trigger would drop the hammer, but when I re-cocked it, it would not fire. I had to push the trigger body forward a very little bit to make it operate. It seemed as if the trigger assembly was moving just every so slightly in the opening where the trigger exits the frame. And the trigger pin had a bad habit of falling out the right side of the frame

After about a half an hour of trying I gave up and took the LaRue trigger and hammer out. I then took a Stoner enhanced trigger/hammer assembly and put that it. It went well and everything worked as advertised. That trigger pull felt nice and smooth, better than the stock Stag trigger I took out.

??? My Stag is probably an earlier model, serial number is in the 48,000 range. And where most of the videos I watched called for a 5/32" punch to remove and install the pins, I had to go to a 1/8" punch, the 5/32" would not fit in the pin holes. Any ideas? I might try it in my Colt rifle if I can figure out just what was going wrong for me.

Make sure the spring is correctly aligned. The spring helps to retain the trigger pin. Maybe the pin hole is worn? Probably not but maybe? As a side note I have the kns anti rotation pins which is an extra retainer. Did you use the new pins that came with the trigger?

Definitely make sure to use the new pins provided with the MBT. They are double notched. Most of my stock pins were single notched. Those notches are there for the hammer spring tangs to rest on, under tension, preventing the trigger pin from traveling. It sounds as though the hammer spring may not be installed properly or the spring tangs are under the pin and not resting on them. There shouldn't be any travel of the assembly if installed this way.

Make sure the spring is correctly aligned. The spring helps to retain the trigger pin. Maybe the pin hole is worn? Probably not but maybe? As a side note I have the kns anti rotation pins which is an extra retainer. Did you use the new pins that came with the trigger?

I don't think that the pin hole is worn. I may be wrong but I doubt that this particular carbine has not seen much use before me, and not that much since. I did use the pins which came with the trigger and I am pretty sure that I had all the springs in the proper orientation.

Definitely make sure to use the new pins provided with the MBT. They are double notched. Most of my stock pins were single notched. Those notches are there for the hammer spring tangs to rest on, under tension, preventing the trigger pin from traveling. It sounds as though the hammer spring may not be installed properly or the spring tangs are under the pin and not resting on them. There shouldn't be any travel of the assembly if installed this way.

I probably did not have the hammer springs positioned over the notches properly. I'll remember that for the next installation.

The MBT is a great value. But I still prefer the Rock River Arms Varmint trigger. The first stage is a bit heavier and the second stage a bit lighter so the second stage pull feels like nothing

I installed recently on a build. It's great alternative to the old RRA national match 2 stage that was pretty popular 5+ years ago. My only complaint is the face of the trigger is wide. I prefer a more slim trigger face.

I installed recently on a build. It's great alternative to the old RRA national match 2 stage that was pretty popular 5+ years ago. My only complaint is the face of the trigger is wide. I prefer a more slim trigger face.

The old RRA NM trigger is still available and is better IMHO. When shipped with a lighter trigger return spring its called the varmint trigger and is 1 lb lighter than the match trigger.

I have been shooting both Geissele SSA's and a RRA National Match trigger. I saw the LaRue MBT mentioned in another thread and for $80, why not? Just installed it in my CMP match legal AR-bomination. Agree or disagree, here's my take on these three triggers. This is my AR-bomination that's so fugly, not even its creator likes it-

nPaACI1.jpg

I have since installed a pinned M4 butt stock, so now it's even fuglier. Above group at 100 yards via irons in super cold weather. I think I was actually using Marvel Mystery Oil as a lube because other lubes get gummy as temps approach zero.

This particular AR is under 7.5 lbs per CMP (stupid) rules, so IMHO better triggers are more evident in my rapid and offhand stages. I've shot it in competition several times with the Geissele and twice recently with the RRA. Going back to late last year, I have a string of 3 maybe 4 wins with the Geissele in this AR at two different match locations plus a silver at Camp Ethan Allen. The last two matches I shot OK, but in both cases dropped too many points in rapid and offhand. Bad shooting or difference between the triggers? At the same match last Sunday I got the win in the Garand match yet lost with the AR+RRA, though not by many points.

The RRA NM is a very good trigger, but it's no Geissele SSA. My scores are definitely down a few points with the RRA, not drastically, but consistently. The break is not as clean as the SSA nor is the break as consistent. Also the RRA feels like the 2nd stage break takes more effort vs. the Geissele that is more balanced between 1st and 2nd stage effort. Is the SSA worth more than twice as much as the under $100 RRA NM? That's debatable and I really like the RRA NM for the money. Unless you are investing a lot of money and time plus achieving competitive scores, I'd hesitate to recommend spending the dough on the Geissele. My other SSA is actually a SSA-E and in my sub-MOA 6.5 Creedmoor AR build, which was a budget build except for the trigger, barrel, bolt, and scope.

So how does the LaRue MBT compare? I'd rank it between the RRA NM and the Geissele SSA. Break is cleaner and crisper than the RRA and pull is more balanced than the RRA. There is the slightest amount of creep in the MBT break, but unless comparing directly to the Geissele it might not be noticed. There is a very small amount of play side to side for the MBT trigger vs. zero from the SSA. Given its pricing is even lower than the RRA NM, the LaRue MBT is a no-brainer. Next time I need a very good trigger, I'll get another. I do think the Geisseles are better by a decent margin, but I doubt I'll buy another because of the price and I can swap one of the two I have into something else if necessary. Of the three, the LaRue is certainly the best value.

Just my 2 cents, yours may vary. I'm going to leave the LaRue in the AR-bomination and see how I score next season.

You guys have me itching to try out the MBT. I picked up a couple of the 2S’s a few weeks back. Have been running SSA-E’s up til now. Will put a MBT in my mk47 and see how it runs, hopefully this weekend.

Yeah, they’re great for the price. I’m not a huge fan of the wide trigger, but that’s my only complaint. Not as smooth as a Geissele, but I actually think it has a more definitive 2nd stage break than my Geissele NM trigger.

If I recall, Larue either doesn’t make any money, or much money on these. He offers them at such low prices to take market share out of spite.
Like i told a good friend, this is a marketing thing. Larue is doing this as a gateway drug for his products. It's a brilliant idea.... even if he gets a hit rate of 5% (of people buying other Larue products) that's still a huge win for him.

The 1s is outstanding too, same price, unfortunately after the spring buying craze they just never restocked. Still listed on the site, hoping some day..

Ordered the 2S straight bow, still waiting for it to ship. Apparently there is a 4-5 week backlog for that one. The curved bow 2S should be shipping within days, in time for xmas.

Really hoping they restock the 1S soon. grabbed 3 of the 2S a couple months ago to try. already installed 2 of them. would like to try the 1S. Great triggers for $75 (buy 3 at a time). but I think I still prefer SSA-E over the 2S.

Back
Top Bottom