• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inexpensive AR Trigger: LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger. Now only $80.00!

Yeah, they’re great for the price. I’m not a huge fan of the wide trigger, but that’s my only complaint. Not as smooth as a Geissele, but I actually think it has a more definitive 2nd stage break than my Geissele NM trigger.

If I recall, Larue either doesn’t make any money, or much money on these. He offers them at such low prices to take market share out of spite.

Last edited:
I agree with the trigger width. I'm used to a more narrow trigger.
The Geissele trigger is definately a step up overall from these.
But for the money I could not complain.
Great basic trigger for any AR.
If I was shooting for the smallest groups possible then I would step up to a Geissele.
$87.00 does not get you a trigger even close to this from any quality manufacturer!

The least expensive AR trigger I know of that may be good is the AR Stoner "enhanced" trigger from MidwayUSA. I got it with the birthday discount for $27 recently and it's claimed to be a 5.5 pound single stage trigger. I have the standard trigger from Midway I got in a lower parts kit last year and it's not terrible, but could be better. I'm interested to see how much better this "enhanced" trigger is. For $27, it's gonna be hard not to like it.

That said, I think the best inexpensive trigger out there is the Ruger 452. I've seen deals where they're on sale at Brownell's plus the 10% coupon and they can be got for $90. The triggers come with a pistol grip too that is far better than the standard A2 pistol grips that I absolutely hate. The grip alone is worth $10, IMO, so really $80 for a two stage trigger is an excellent deal.

The least expensive AR trigger I know of that may be good is the AR Stoner "enhanced" trigger from MidwayUSA. I got it with the birthday discount for $27 recently and it's claimed to be a 5.5 pound single stage trigger. I have the standard trigger from Midway I got in a lower parts kit last year and it's not terrible, but could be better. I'm interested to see how much better this "enhanced" trigger is. For $27, it's gonna be hard not to like it.

I thought I was the only one who found that steal of a trigger from Midway. It is remarkably good for under 30 bucks! Its way better than the typical standard LPK trigger.

The LaRue is much more durable than the Geissele. A nationally known instructor that I know broke 9 Geissele triggers in one year in his class rifles. He has 15 rifle for loan to students. He switched to LaRue 4 years ago and has not had a single breakage.

I use the LaRue trigger in all my guns.

I thought I was the only one who found that steal of a trigger from Midway. It is remarkably good for under 30 bucks! Its way better than the typical standard LPK trigger.
Good to hear. I'm looking at using it in my 9mm AR, so it's not like I need it to be some super crisp trigger that costs $200.

The LaRue is much more durable than the Geissele. A nationally known instructor that I know broke 9 Geissele triggers in one year in his class rifles. He has 15 rifle for loan to students. He switched to LaRue 4 years ago and has not had a single breakage.

x2. Have Larues in all my MSRs as well. Replaced my Geisseles with them. Machined tool steel triggers at an amazing price.

I switched over to these on my 4 ARs. They aren't the top of line but certainly a bit of an improvement over Spikes kits. I bought them for the hope of durability and happy to read DavidK's post

any Idea what broke. With so many of the guyslee triggers out there to break 9 in one year would seem to indicate a real problem or flat out abuse?
i only have RRA NM triggers other than some unknown trigger i bought used. Its a very light single stage and other than slow fire bench rest type shooting I find it to light.

Funny thing is even that 15 min trigger job you can do on a mil spec trigger will get you a improvement over mil spec triggers.

any Idea what broke. With so many of the guyslee triggers out there to break 9 in one year would seem to indicate a real problem or flat out abuse?
i only have RRA NM triggers other than some unknown trigger i bought used. Its a very light single stage and other than slow fire bench rest type shooting I find it to light.

Funny thing is even that 15 min trigger job you can do on a mil spec trigger will get you a improvement over mil spec triggers.

He didn't say what broke. I would not say it was abuse, I would say it was from high use. His class guns get shot nearly every day. Most people don't shoot their guns to the extent that his get shot.

He didn't say what broke. I would not say it was abuse, I would say it was from high use. His class guns get shot nearly every day. Most people don't shoot their guns to the extent that his get shot.
Im sure there are plenty of NRA high power /service rifle shooter putting as many rounds down range. Just curious to what the weak link was.

Mine still have an original windham bushmaster trigger (not awful) and an lpk trigger which sucks bigley. Thanks for the notice. I think I may get a couple

That said, I think the best inexpensive trigger out there is the Ruger 452. I've seen deals where they're on sale at Brownell's plus the 10% coupon and they can be got for $90. The triggers come with a pistol grip too that is far better than the standard A2 pistol grips that I absolutely hate. The grip alone is worth $10, IMO, so really $80 for a two stage trigger is an excellent deal.

Checked midway for the enhanced version, but all they show is the standard stoner lpk. Any help with the hunt?
***Found it.

Last edited:
I could not agree more. A couple weeks ago I installed the MBT in my 12.5" 6.8 AR pistol and I love it. It is such a great value at that price.

Don't forget about Rock River Arms. $85 gets you their well regarded 2 stage trigger in either 5.5 or 3.5 lb flavors. (I may be slightly off on the weight, but I'm close)
They have mbt in single and two stage. I have two stage, it comes with two springs, can’t remember exact weight, but I’m happy with two stage. Also comes curved or straight, all same
Price!

I bought a 2-stage LaRue as a replacement for the mil-spec in my AR. I am having trouble dropping the trigger assembly into the lower. The trigger hole in my lower is just a hair to small to allow the trigger to drop in and under the safety bolt. The LaRue was cheap enough and I am considering filing the front upper face of the trigger to gain some space so it can drop in. Has anyone had to do any surgery on their LaRue?

I bought a 2-stage LaRue as a replacement for the mil-spec in my AR. I am having trouble dropping the trigger assembly into the lower. The trigger hole in my lower is just a hair to small to allow the trigger to drop in and under the safety bolt. The LaRue was cheap enough and I am considering filing the front upper face of the trigger to gain some space so it can drop in. Has anyone had to do any surgery on their LaRue?

I have installed about 10 LaRue triggers without problems. Actually, one gave me a problem but I was able to get it in. It was a cheap Anderson lower. I would bet that its your lower that’s the problem

Did you have the hammer installed when you tried to insert the selector? If so, try cocking the hammer

Hard to tell by your wording, but if you are installing the trigger after the selector, reverse it. Trigger first, then selector

Dave The selector switch is already installed and I was hoping to just drop it in like my old trigger. I will remove the selector and install the trigger as you suggested. Thanks

I installed it last night. The reset is very weird, but the pull is extremely crisp, albeit heavier than I thought it would feel. Might be some small burrs causing that, so I'll see how the trigger feels over time as it smooths out.

For 30 bucks tho, it's not bad at all.

Dave The selector switch is already installed and I was hoping to just drop it in like my old trigger. I will remove the selector and install the trigger as you suggested. Thanks

I've had to remove the selector switch for all my MBT installs as well. It can be a bit of a pain in the ass on rifles with ambi selector switches but nothing that should take longer than 15 min for total installation.

Back
Top Bottom