IMPORTANT: DO NOT just send e-mails to politicians!!

cb1

DO NOT JUST SEND E-MAILS. They are far LESS effective than you can ever imagine.

I worked in the MA legislature for six years (before you ask, it was for an A+ rated, GOAL endorsed politician). Many reps and senators won't even see the emails as they will get passed on to a staff member and the rep/senator will only end up approving a form letter or email response. The rep or senator may not even have any idea how many people that form letter is being sent to. They regularly get bombarded with hundreds of emails from single issue groups all over the country every single day. It's just a faceless un-serious way to communicate for something so important.

CALL THE OFFICE AND REQUEST TO SPEAK DIRECTLY TO YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE. Be polite to the staff (or your message may end up in the round file in some offices). If the rep or senator is not in or not available, leave a message with the staff member and request a call back from your rep or senator. Most of the time they will call you back. If you don't hear from them in 24-48 hours, call again. When speaking to them describe yourself. What do you do for a living? do you have kids in the local school system? are you involved in the community in any way? The more people they SPEAK to that can't be viewed as single-issue-gun-nuts, the more persuasive this will all be.

Even better than just speaking to them on the phone, get a group of 4-5 NESrs, friends, or fellow club members and SET UP A MEETING to meet with your rep or senator face to face. Most have local offices in their districts and/or hold local office hours. The anti-gun people are in there right now meeting with folks, why not you? SCHEDULE IT AHEAD OF TIME AND DON'T JUST SHOW UP or you will end up meeting with a staff member. In some offices that is just as good, but for any anti-2A or on the fence politicians, you need to meet with them directly.

If you do not have time to make phone calls or go to meetings, then WRITE A HARD COPY LETTER AND MAIL IT IN rather than sending an email. An office that gets a stack of even 50-100 letters on a topic will pay more attention to that issue than if they receive 500 emails. It may seem strange, but its absolutely true.

Concentrate on your own elected officials. If you do not live in someone's district they do not care what you have to say. The governor is a lost cause, don't even waste your time contacting his office.

To those folks who think that the MA legislative process is "different" than that in NY, you are sadly mistaken. This legislature can, and will, ram through anything it dam well pleases WITHOUT prior notice, WITHOUT public hearings, and WITHOUT any public debate whatsoever. MA is LESS LIKELY to do this, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Almost every single "rule" that the House and Senate operate under can be suspended at any time with a simple voice vote. The speaker of the house and senate president have tremendous amounts of power. If they decide to go nuclear and push something through it will happen unless and until you get a handful of legislators who are willing to put their political capital on the line to stop it. I've witnessed it too many times to count. Everything that happens in that building happens behind closed doors and all the "public" debate is theater to placate special interest groups.

Don't sit back and wait because committees haven't been appointed yet. Don't sit back and wait because the bill doesn't have a hearing scheduled. MA politicians largely operate on the principle that "it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission".

If you can't afford to take a sick day to meet with your elected representatives and spend a couple cents on two stamps, then the prospect of becoming a felon overnight isn't very concerning to you. Do not just let yourself be counted as just part of some group. Make yourself known as individuals, as families, and as their CONSTITUENTS who vote. Make them understand that this bill isn't about criminals.

Make them tell you, to your face, that they are willing to vote on a bill that will make you a felon.

For phone numbers:
http://www.malegislature.gov/People/Senate
http://www.malegislature.gov/People/House

Just to add, I no longer work there.

I haven't posted on here in a while since I went back to school, but I've seen a few posts last night and today asking where GOAL is and what GOAL is doing. I have no idea so I can't speak for them. But I can tell you that Jim Wallace is very visible and active in the statehouse. I also believe he is very effective. I saw him in the building regularly and GOAL constantly communicates with elected officials on behalf of its members.

If there was ever a time where politicians would attempt to ram through gun control legislation it is right now. Don't leave this for Jim and the rest of the GOAL staff to tackle on their own.

Thanks for the insight. Inside the sausage factory, so to speak. I believe that we need to humanize ourselves to the reps. Remind them we are like everyone else. We have kids, we have hobbies besides firearms, and above all else, we vote.

I mailed out stack last night. Something tells me Jim McGovern doesn't really care what I say though.

Doesn't matter. Don't let a single one of them stand up and say there is an "overwhelming" amount of support for gun control measures or that they haven't heard from anyone who is opposed to it.

Good post. I think we should all be calling Murray and DeLeo since they hold the power.

^^^^^^ THIS. They are EXTREMELY important to have on our side. Has anyone gotten any responses from them??? I have written letters, called and emailed both of them. Nothing. Anyone on here that is from Plymouth/Barstable County (Murray) and 19th Suffolk (DeLeo) need to get on it. Both times they asked me my address and if I was in their district. I said "no, but they are our congressional leaders and I want my concerns to be heard."

Thank you for the valuable insight, one stack of letters out today, another ready for tomorrow. I keep resending my emails everyday as well.

I sent letters to my local rep and senator who I know are definately pro-2A. Federally, I don't even bother sending anything or contacting them as both senators and the federal rep for the area are all flaming liberals. The rep runs unapposed except for the last time and still one but I just leave that section of the ballet blank if he runs unopposed as I refuse to vote for him even if Satan learns to figure skate in his backyard.

Doesn't matter. Don't let a single one of them stand up and say there is an "overwhelming" amount of support for gun control measures or that they haven't heard from anyone who is opposed to it.

Exactly. The initial responses I was seeing posted by others on here and seeing in the newspapers were something along the lines of 'even many gun owners support some type of common sense regulation.' You know that was all BS but we have to force them to hear us. So keep calling. Keep mailing written letters. And do as the OP suggested and meet face to face.

Great piece and so true I went thru the same talks when pertaining to politics for the last 12 yrs I was told by one politician that 99% get deleted before evening opening or just the first line read then deleted. Most all issues no matter what they are have been driven by political agenda period. We need one elected official no matter what side your on to come out and govern by facts and the truth not lies and fear tactics. Keep calling and writing hopefully someone will really come forward and govern they way they were elected to!!!!!!!

Another bump. Not to hi jack the OP's points, but make sure that you are registered to vote. If you aren't registered, they won't read your letter, let alone meet with you.

Last edited:
I have also emailed, and sent letters. Yesterday I went around to some of my neighbors with a list of contact addresses, and a copy of Gov. Patricks proposals. Also gave a copy of my letter to; Gov., Lt. Gov., local Reps., as well as our Washington Reps. I did stop at places where I assumed there would be support. Out of the 7(yea small town) 6 said they would definately do it when asked to send emails and letters. One household said they had no guns, but would look at the proposals and let her husband see them when he got home. Three of the people did not know of the recent rallies. Two of the people said they would get their brothers to help, as well as a few friends. One person was going to get 3 friends, as well as go to his local club and spread the word. I feel there are many who might still be unaware of the goings on. Some don't have cable, or wouldn't care to watch news anyways. Some don't have internet. Get on the ground and use your feet, do the meet and greet. So, I reached out to 6 people with positive results. If they each get two or three each, that's 12 to 18!

Get your "non political" gun owning friends to write and call as well. It will do no good for them to become political after new laws are passed.

Bump with talking point ideas.

We need to keep this excellent post up at the top of the list.

I've already written letters to my state senator and state representative. Of course I came up with more things to write after the letters went in the mail. No matter, I'll be writing more letters.

Here are a few ideas for people (like me) who have a hard time coming up with things to say.

MA already has among the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation. New laws will not reduce crime, but will cost the taxpayers money, and place undue burdens and cost among licensed firearms owners. Those firearms owners are not the source or cause of gun crime.

Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Restrictions on the types of weapons lawful firearms owners possess, as well as those restricting magazine capacity or types of ammunition will not stop criminals from getting the weapons that they prefer to use to commit crimes.

Instead of more laws, the General Court should concentrate on ensuring that the existing laws are enforced against criminals. Putting violent criminals in prison for longer terms is a proven crime deterrent.

The General Court should look at the state of mental health treatment in MA, with an eye towards increasing resources. Many criminals, especially violent ones, have long standing histories of mental illness with no effect means of treatment. The General Court should look at a law allowing and funding "Assisted Outpatient Treatment". These laws, in effect in 44 states, allow officials to seek a court order ordering people who have mental illness and are non compliant with their medications, be compelled to take their medications.

Those are my off the top of my head ideas. I'm sure other people have others. Let's use this thread to share them.

i agree with the 'sticky' request.

Good insight. A little saddening but, it needs to be known.

I'll write some letters AND ask for a call back from my reps. I bet NES can fill their schedules for a couple months.

Since Cekim raised a question in my mind about committee appointments, I decided to lay down a foundation for my letter-writing by sending a personalized Email to my State Rep (personally known to me for many years) asking when appts to the two key committees will be announced and when said committees will get down to work. The response will give me an idea how much time we have to work with and perhaps who I should address first (if we can help see to it that it dies in committee, we need not worry about any full votes).

Back
Top Bottom