• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

i'm wondering why people need a rotation of carry guns

Partially disagree. Under stress people tend to default to their training, given they were actually trained properly. This is why I hate the phrase 'practice makes perfect'. This is wrong. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

This is exactly why when I work with new shooters, I emphasize "do it right, don't worry about doing it fast". Get the actions correct, speed it up as you go along. It's really, really hard to "unlearn" habits.

Worked with one shooter last week who has the unfortunate ingrained habit of racing up to the porthole in a wall, skidding to a stop and then putting his firearm and arms through the porthole when engaging targets. Talked about the concept of slowing down, shooting the targets as you see them, and then leaving. It appears slower, it's much faster; (that's a lesson that I got from Steve Anderson a couple years ago). Also talked about how bracing your arms on the wall screws up your normal/practiced recoil absorption.

He shot the stage slowly, but he did it right. He'll get faster, (maybe).

Clearly Op has no sense of style. Sig 357 when I’m wearing my Bruno Magli’s and brown leather belt, They complement each other nicely. G43X because the front site matches my eyes and I want to make a statement. Walther Wednesdays of course. Golden desert eagle, hello it’s Saturday night! And after a long week I like to relax at home with a nice 340pd hammerless, glides in and out of The sweatpants or fuzzy slippers ankle holster easily while sitting around enjoying a nice mocha latte curled up on the couch Sunday morning.

1694538954481.png

here's a better idea..... read the title, the topic is "carry guns" if you can't switch from 1 gun to another to shoot 10 feet then yup stick to 1 gun and only 1 gun for the rest of your life lol
Next time you're at the range, put up three targets and time how long it takes you to draw and put two rounds in each (six rounds total). Report back with the results. I'm going to guess you'll be somewhere around 8sec or even slower.

Personal choices are so much fun to shit on.

Really the only thing that matters is hits. Think of what the minimum, average, and maximum distances you would ever get in a fight at. Then decide what a reasonable level of accuracy is under stress at those ranges. There you have it, your spec envelope. If you can't shoot it to that standard, then it's no good for carry.

The training thing is a valid concern. There's some guns out there that have odd mag and slide releases, One of the things I don't really like about Glocks is that slide release. I always seem to miss it. Not a deal breaker if you train with it. Not a problem on the Sig. That can sometimes give me the opposite problem, that the slide doesn't lock back if my thumb touches it. Same thing, just gotta train.

There are a couple things I do to every glock I have; one of them is to put on extended controls.

Since we are unable to actually get shot at while training, we have to do something to add stress to that training.
Where's the NES airsoft crew? Airsoft... not just for larpers but somewhat decent force on force trigger time training in addition to range time on stationary targets. As good as tactical courses at Academi are, you still can't practice shooting targets that shoot back at you unless you whip out the 6mm plastic lol.

Next time you're at the range, put up three targets and time how long it takes you to draw and put two rounds in each (six rounds total). Report back with the results. I'm going to guess you'll be somewhere around 8sec or even slower.
i'm agreeing with you, you (personally) should only stick to one gun, forever! Be safe!

Bro, real operators have a gun for every outfit, and every day of the week. I hate it when i don't have something, that coordinates with my shirt and socks.

the point of my question was everyone seems to "train." do you train in your swim trunks with your beach carry gun? do you train in scrubs with your scrub carry gun? do you train in your suit with your business attire carry gun? do you train in your shorts/tee shirt with your summer gun? do you train with your bulky winter attire with gloves with your winter carry gun? i'm gonna guess of course not, but over the years of heard of all types of carry from people here. now how about someone like myself...i dress the same year round, long pants, long sleeve shirt. i dress the same in winter, i never wear a jacket. (not for anything else but i don't like wearing winter jackets) i use the same gun/iwb set up. holster sits same spot, behind right hip. 2 range trips a week generally and i work with that gun a minimum of 100 rounds every trip before i leave for 10+ years. thats muscle memory. i don't care what anyone else does, i do me. i was curious is all. you all do what you want to do. i want to know how do you keep scrub pants up with a gun attached to 'em. good trick!
Remmeber a couple of things:

1. Most of NES does not "train".
2. Many people on NES, like everywhere else online, are full of sh*t.

It is usually pretty easy to tell who those people are.

I kinda agree that you should be able to shoot any gun the same...or at least pretty close. It would be silly to carry guns with completely different manual of arms, but most guns have very similar manual of arms and ones with something completely stupid, like a safety that has to go up, that shouldn't be carried anyway. I would say keeping how/where you carry is much more important than the actual gun. My bill drill times are much more dependent on my holster IWB/OWB/Race than what gun I am shooting

hahaha!!! thanks for the "expert" advise lol .... heres an idea.. shoot more than one gun lol
Here is an idea for you ... when people give you positive feedback, the nice thing to do is give them positive feedback. 3 gave you positive feedback, you only gave 1 positive feedback.

Not cool.

Here is an idea for you ... when people give you positive feedback, the nice thing to do is give them positive feedback. 3 gave you positive feedback, you only gave 1 positive feedback.

Not cool.

yeah man, your "start shooting" comment came off condescending, perhaps you didnt intend it that way or i mis-read it (if so, my bad & i apologize) however, thinking that you arent able to shoot 2 different guns 10 feet is right up there with not being able to drive 2 different cars 10 feet it really isnt rocket science.

yeah man, your "start shooting" comment came off condescending, perhaps you didnt intend it that way or i mis-read it (if so, my bad & i apologize) however, thinking that you arent able to shoot 2 different guns 10 feet is right up there with not being able to drive 2 different cars 10 feet it really isnt rocket science.
The issue isn’t so much can you shoot them well enough. The issue is just whether the manual of arms is significantly different.

If you are used to shooting a Glock, which has no manual safety, and then decide to carry a 1911, which requires you to lower the safety, then you may well screw up under the stress of a deadly force incident (unless you do a great deal of practice). There have been people who died because they forgot to turn off the safety and just stood there trying to pull the trigger.

As another example, I’m used to S&W revolvers, which have a cylinder release which you push forward to release. I competed with a revolver in IDPA for about a year and did thousands of practice reloads. I would not carry a Colt double-action revolver because the Colt cylinder release must be pulled to the rear. I’m not saying the Colt is a bad gun. I’m saying that I’ve trained heavily in an incompatible manual of arms and it would take a great deal of practice for me to overcome my current training.

The issue isn’t so much can you shoot them well enough. The issue is just whether the manual of arms is significantly different.

If you are used to shooting a Glock, which has no manual safety, and then decide to carry a 1911, which requires you to lower the safety, then you may well screw up under the stress of a deadly force incident (unless you do a great deal of practice). There have been people who died because they forgot to turn off the safety and just stood there trying to pull the trigger.

As another example, I’m used to S&W revolvers, which have a cylinder release which you push forward to release. I competed with a revolver in IDPA for about a year and did thousands of practice reloads. I would not carry a Colt double-action revolver because the Colt cylinder release must be pulled to the rear. I’m not saying the Colt is a bad gun. I’m saying that I’ve trained heavily in an incompatible manual of arms and it would take a great deal of practice for me to overcome my current training.
I admire your patience in attempting to explain this…again.

Look, can you shoot two guns at 10 feet? Most likely. However, I don't think it is a good idea to randomly carry different guns.

It is not just about shooting, but holster placement and several other factors.

There are people thar carry OWB during winter under a coat and IWB during summer, maybe appendix carry. If you are too used to one type, when training kicks in and you have a few seconds to move clothing out of the way, draw and shoot, carrying something different might mess you up.

That being said, the world is not black or white, there is a gray area and for some people it works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom