I'm torn between two guns.

shoot them both. If you want to hit up Harvard and shoot a heavily modified M&P, PM me. You can try it out.

Still searching for a fair priced glock. I've shot a bunch and like them a hell of a lot better than my M&P. But that's just me.

as far as "old gun" goes, the thing that irked me about the M&P 9mm is that it required work and money in order to get it on a level of a decade old glock. MA triggers on them are retarded.

OP if you take flintoid up on this be sure to have someone tell me. i'll bring my 2nd gen glock 17. i want to say i'm being helpful but i would really just bring an AK and gush to flintoid about it while you shot my gun. [laugh]

I would go for the g-17.
The big thing with glock is you can also pick up a g-26 or g-27 and also a g-19 or g-23 and alternate between the 3 guns depending on what you feel like carrying with ease because they are so close in operation and some holsters will fit all 3.

I had to choose between a Glock or the M&P9 and I went with the M&P. I've shot a G17 and G19 but they didn't feel comfortable in my hands and that affected my accuracy. The M&P (w/ an APEX kit) was perfect for me.

Either is fine. I own both.

M&P = better ergo
Glock = pre ban hi cap

DONT PAY 600 for a 2nd gen 17!!!!!

Glock 17 should be under 5
M&P9 should be under 5 with trigger job ( see business end customs for a GREAT trigger job for under $80 )

On a side note I would purchase a Glock 19 before I would buy a 17

Wow, this comparison is really original...

Be a man, make a call, live with it.

</tough-guy>

I guess "tough guy" is you, dlarge?

Why do people get pissed about questions on forums? What the hell else is a forum for? Some people got anger issues...

BTW, I wasn't asking for comparisons, I know the differences. I was asking about the value given the two numbers I was quoted. It was a valuation question...but I guess you are too angry to see that.

I had a M&P9c it was reliable, I did a Apex trigger on it to make it more shootable but I have since sold it.

The Glocks are still here reliable, better factory trigger, hi-caps.

You'd find a nice Glock 17 at the Springfield show for $500. I just got one at Wilmington.
+1 on the Apex trigger on the M&P, which is better than the Glock 17 trigger, but 10 rounds vs 17? I'd get the Glock.

Try both and see which fits better. The replaceable backstraps on the M&P are nice.

I agree that $600 is way high for the Glock. FWIW, Guns & Gun Parts in W. Springfield is advertising mint factory rebuilds with two 17-round mags for $495, and I'd expect private sales to go around $400.

Let me preface that this is NOT a what is better...simply a what would you do?

I am torn between a Glock 17 and an M&P 9.

The G17 is around $600 (used of course, Gen 2) while the M&P is $399 (used) and then add another <$100 for trigger work.

Given these quotes, which way would you go? Money IS a factor for me.

I recently purchased a Gen 2 Glock 17 from a shop in Tenessee called Robertson Trading. Tampa Police trade in for $359 (no magazine) Its in really good shape. I rented and hated the M&P at the range with the Ma trigger but id be interested to try one with a lighter trigger. Good luck.

I have shot both. The M&P had a trigger job done. The Glock was factory. I shot the M&P a lot better but felt with some practice, I could get similar results with the Glock.

If i had to choose I would go with the M&P and a trigger job

I guess "tough guy" is you, dlarge?

Why do people get pissed about questions on forums? What the hell else is a forum for? Some people got anger issues...

BTW, I wasn't asking for comparisons, I know the differences. I was asking about the value given the two numbers I was quoted. It was a valuation question...but I guess you are too angry to see that.
As stated by others, the asking price for the G17 is unreasonable. Factory refurb is a good thing and all, but you should be able to find a dealer-transferable (i.e. pre-9/98, most likely a Gen 2) G17 for about $425-$450. If you shop around, you might find one in the NES classifieds for a good price. I've seen them as low as $250, with 2 pre-ban magazines included.

If you are the kind of person that can deal with the fact that your defensive pistol is limited to 10-round magazines due to legislation, the M&P is probably the better deal.

amb, I don't see this deal on their webpage. Do you know where I can see the special? Thanks!

Crap, I'm sorry. I thought I saw it on their online handgun inventory just a day or two ago and it stuck in my mind as a decent deal, but looking now it's not there and it says it hasn't even been updated lately. (Gotta stop smoking that bad crack.)

I had an M&P9 full size and sold it, went with Glock, started with a Gen 3 Glock 26, then purchased a Gen 3 19. M&P was highly reliable and ergonomics were great, good looking pistol as well. Glocks highly reliable as well, and grips fit my hand. Both very accurate. The ability to find preban hi-cap mags, and mags that are interchangeable within the same caliber was a big plus. Overall I liked Glock a lot more.... YMMV... Good luck.

Tough decision, both are good guns in my opinion. M&P9 was the first gun that I bought a couple years ago and I really like it, even though I haven't got the trigger worked on yet. I bought a gen 3 glock 23 in January that came with a NY1 trigger spring, which I thought was awful to shoot. Luckily buying drop in parts, like a 3.5# connector and stock trigger spring is pretty cheap. I haven't shot my glock with those new parts yet but it feels much better while dry firing. I would recommend shooting both if you get the chance or at least holding both and seeing which one feels best in your hand. I bought my glock at gfaArmsTec in natick and they had a good selection. You can check their inventory online and see what they got.

judging by the ratio of glocks to M&P's in the classifieds...it looks like M&P's are getting the nod. u know something is good when noone wants to sell. i see more and more glocks put up for sale every week, makes me wonder.....not sure if glock offers a lifetime warranty, but smith does.

Last edited:
Might be worth a call and possibly a trip down to American Firearm School (AFS) in Attleboro for you. I hit them up when I was comparing a Beretta 92FS, Glock 17 and 19, and a Sig 226 for my first purchase. Renting them lets you get an idea of what you might or might not like about each. Not sure if they have the M&P for rent, but I would think so and a call would verify.

FWIW, I went with the M&P 9c over a Glock 19. During my testing at AFS, I ended up not liking how the Glock trigger worked. I wasn't that concerned about the difference in round capacity/pre-bans and liked the idea of a new gun over a 15-year-old one. I also didn't want to do the work necessary to locate a reasonably priced old Glock.

The primary issue is what gun do you like best? A secondary issue is the fact that you can purchase pre-ban mags for the Glock which you can't with the M&P because they didn't exist in 1994. If you are vacillating, personally I'd go with the M&P and get the trigger job and live with eleven rounds, that's because the M&P fits my hand better, and if I wanted a Glock then I would want one of the current generation, not something two generations ago...but that's me. You might decide that the Glock is the way to go. Another argument for the Glock is that no Glock in Massachusetts will probably ever cost less than it does now, unless of course Glocks become either Mass compliant or the ridiculous "lists" are abolished, neither of which seem likely to happen soon.

Might be worth a call and possibly a trip down to American Firearm School (AFS) in Attleboro for you. I hit them up when I was comparing a Beretta 92FS, Glock 17 and 19, and a Sig 226 for my first purchase. Renting them lets you get an idea of what you might or might not like about each. Not sure if they have the M&P for rent, but I would think so and a call would verify.

FWIW, I went with the M&P 9c over a Glock 19. During my testing at AFS, I ended up not liking how the Glock trigger worked. I wasn't that concerned about the difference in round capacity/pre-bans and liked the idea of a new gun over a 15-year-old one. I also didn't want to do the work necessary to locate a reasonably priced old Glock.

good suggestion.....i personally cannot stand the fat ass grip on the glocks, i have small hands so it just doesn't feel right. it's like i'm trying to grip my fingers around an aresol can!!! the m&p's are less money and are less of a headache to acquire in MA. yes, there are plenty of second hand glocks for sale, but that raises an eyebrow in my book, and they are used. the m&p has changable grip inserts to accomodate different sized hands, they have the melonite finish on the slide which is great, and you can get them brand new backed by lifetime warranty right from your local gun dealer. they look better in my opinion as well. glocks are proved in the field, yes, and have alot of years behind them....but smith can claim the same.

this is my opinion on glocks - there was a time when glocks were THE gun to trust your life with, no questions asked. they were semi-auto, tough, reliable guns which military and police preferred. but now, there are plenty of other companies following in the glock platform footsteps which are just as nice, if not better, and less money. there will still be those people that swear by the glocks, but i think they are getting challenged everyday by modern gun manufacturers and losing the price war.

you can find glocks NIB on NES classifieds, even gen 4's.

all my glocks were bought NIB . payed anywhere from $480 <-> $530 for them. and i never pay or sell ridiculous prices like 700 + thats absurd,

also a reason why you see alot of glocks on the classifieds, is because people think they can make a buck selling new glocks to people who don't know any better.

as far as melonite finish.. show me a well worn M&P, vs (older gen 3) shiny teflon-like tennifer finish.. i think glock's finish is by far superior

I would prefer the glock over the M&P....
1. glock has longer track record
2. glock is more reliable
3. glock has ability tp have preban high cap mags
4. glock is more comfortable to me
5. glock has a better resale value

the m&p has a rail vs gen 2 glock

above is my opinion only but then again that is what you asked for......

If you're looking for opinions I'll give you mine, I love the m&p platform I own four of then, I've shot quite a few glocks, they just don't feel right for me, so I'd say m&p all day. I also have a smith and wesson fetish

it all comes down to your choice, we got glock fanboi's and fangirl's, and M&P fanboi's and fangirl's :)

if you really want to solve this.. you need to put out an alert for this weekend, on what shooting range you will be at, and we can all come over with our glocks and M&P's and let you shoot them.

Back
Top Bottom