• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IFAK. What am I missing?

Not meant to be sarcastic. I wish I could lug around more when I'm on foot but it just bulks up so much. I do have a pretty comprehensive blowout kit in the car. While going out and about on foot, I typically just carry a bare minimum kit of a pair of gloves, SWAT-T, 2 rolls gauze, 2 chest seals, bandage clot pack and 4 inch shears. Even adding a CAT-7 would add bulk. What are you guys wearing to be able to lug your kit on body every day?
I personally don’t carry much when on foot in society. If I’m by myself, I don’t bring anything, but if I’m with my family, I have a diaper/kid stuff backpack I can carry things in. But the boo-boo kit supplies get far more use than anything trauma related.

Ankle kits seem to be popular though. Messenger bags work well too without seeming out of place.

I recently got my AIFAK through TSA security and then wore it on the plane.

AIFAK airplane.jpg

After reaching my destination I wore it during a seven mile hike (4300' start with a 1,200 ft. elevation gain) and also had a G17 in a AIWB holster with a spare mag.

No rubbing, chafing, discomfort, or other problems.

Last edited:
I recently got my AIFAK through TSA security and then wore it on the plane.

View attachment 681087

After reaching my destination I wore it during a seven mile hike (4300' start with a 1,200 ft. elevation gain) and also had a G17 in a AIWB holster with a spare mag.

No rubbing, chafing, or other problems.
TSA didn't raise an eyebrow over that C4 looking thing wrapped around your ankle when you took off your shoes? Are those metal shears?

IFAK should be as minimalistic as possible. Your car should be an ambulance and your home should be a hospital. U can use an Israeli bandage as a chest seal.
My Ifak is simple: israeli bandage, 6yds of wound packing gauze, pair of surgeon gloves, shears, and a chemlight. I do carry 2 tourniquets now, one on either side of my body on my kit in case I have to self apply them. Both Tourniquettes have sharpies rubber banded to them. I’m with M60…Some of you guys are running around ready to conduct a heart transplant😂😂.

Great thread.. As we all try to get as many firearms, ammo, food etc. as possible we often neglect medical.

TSA didn't raise an eyebrow over that C4 looking thing wrapped around your ankle when you took off your shoes? Are those metal shears?
I should have been more descriptive.
I took the AIFAK off when I took my shoes off and put it in my carry on bag.
It went through the machine with my shoes and belt in the bin.
I walked through the millimeter wave scanner.
I collected all my stuff on the other side, wrapped the AIFAK around my ankle and walked to my gate.
If anyone noticed, no one said anything.
There is a seatbelt cutter (red) and a pair of mini EMT shears in the AIFAK.

Zero problems with TSA or checking a gun at MHT.
Flying back from PHX was a different story.

Maybe
I should have been more descriptive.
I took the AIFAK off when I took my shoes off and put it in my carry on bag.
It went through the machine with my shoes and belt in the bin.
I walked through the millimeter wave scanner.
I collected all my stuff on the other side, wrapped the AIFAK around my ankle and walked to my gate.
If anyone noticed, no one said anything.
There is a seatbelt cutter (red) and a pair of mini EMT shears in the AIFAK.

Zero problems with TSA or checking a gun at MHT.
Flying back from PHX was a different story.
Maybe twice in 50+ flights did TSA look at my trauma shears - never cared about the pneumothorax needle. Once they looked at the seatbelt cutter.

These are all way over my head. The first post, I didn't really understand. I must live in a different world, or universe.

I would have had:
bandaids
big bandages
butterfly stitches
saline to rinse out eyes
ace bandage
neosporin
alcohol
hydrogen peroxide
tourniquet (or some parachute cord)
tylenol
asprin
ibuprofen
liquid bandage
roll of gauze

IFAK should be as minimalistic as possible. Your car should be an ambulance and your home should be a hospital. U can use an Israeli bandage as a chest seal.
My Ifak is simple: israeli bandage, 6yds of wound packing gauze, pair of surgeon gloves, shears, and a chemlight. I do carry 2 tourniquets now, one on either side of my body on my kit in case I have to self apply them. Both Tourniquettes have sharpies rubber banded to them. I’m with M60…Some of you guys are running around ready to conduct a heart transplant😂😂.

Great thread.. As we all try to get as many firearms, ammo, food etc. as possible we often neglect medical.
Are you sure about using an Israeli bandage as a chest seal? I don't believe I've ever seen one with an occlusive part.

Are you sure about using an Israeli bandage as a chest seal? I don't believe I've ever seen one with an occlusive part.
Not exactly an Israeli bandage, but similar concept, and does include an occlusive sheet.

Yup, you do have to improvise and burp it but it can be done. Plus with everybody wearing armor these days your way more likely to take an extremity hit and bleed out. That is why I carry a tourniquet on each side of me and actually not in my Ifak.

These are all way over my head. The first post, I didn't really understand. I must live in a different world, or universe.

I would have had:
bandaids
big bandages
butterfly stitches
saline to rinse out eyes
ace bandage
neosporin
alcohol
hydrogen peroxide
tourniquet (or some parachute cord)
tylenol
asprin
ibuprofen
liquid bandage
roll of gauze
It’s an Ifak…not a medicine cabinet😂😂😂
Everything in an Ifak is meant to plug your holes until you can get to higher care, you don’t need Neosporin and aspirin for that. I do have all that stuff in my medical bag in my truck and obviously at my house

“Stop, Drop and Roll“ is now “Tourniquet the Limbs, Pack the Junctions and Seal the Box”. Maybe Eddie Eagle needs to carry A trauma kit.

Ms. Dickens-Jones then gave the children a scenario where they are playing with a friend at home when a bullet whizzes through the window and hits the friend in the arm. The group eagerly repeated what they had learned, she said: “Go get my mom. Get our kit. Hold pressure.

It’s an Ifak…not a medicine cabinet😂😂😂
Everything in an Ifak is meant to plug your holes until you can get to higher care, you don’t need Neosporin and aspirin for that. I do have all that stuff in my medical bag in my truck and obviously at my house
Sorry, I did not see any sort of description. I thought this was for general first aid. This post should probably be under the "Off Topic" area either way.

I was thinking of something along these lines:
Amazon product ASIN B09NWH8553View: https://smile.amazon.com/Johnson-All-Purpose-Portable-Compact-Emergency/dp/B09NWH8553/

1668293688911.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom