• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IFAK. What am I missing?

A vast majority don’t realize that they are to be used on you, by someone else, so you don’t die where you were hit/fell and are to hopefully keep you alive long enough to get to safety/definitive care. People think they are aid bags.

Thats what I was taught. It’s for me.

I’d obviously help someone. But the idea is it’s to save me and you should have your own. I use yours on you and you use mine on me.

Last edited:
I don’t like the Israeli dressing, North American Rescue makes a compression bandage that is more simple to use. Your NPA should be 28-30 French.

someone before me mentioned a survival Mylar blanket. That’s huge, often overlooked.

hypothermia is bad news when you just dumped 1,000cc of blood on ground.

hypothermia is bad news when you just dumped 1,000cc of blood on ground.

A thing to keep in mind is that replacing lost fluids with an IV can cause hypothermia all by itself, because the bag of saline is usually not heated (or maybe temperature controlled may be a better term) in a field situation. If you all of a sudden dump a liter of 70 degree water into someone, they're going to get cold. So if you can right off the bat help preserve their heat, it's going to help mitigate things.

I've been on the receiving end of this one myself, and it's a quite pronounced effect.

Last edited:
Decompression needles? Seriously? You sure you don't want to pack some DeBakey forceps in case you need to do bypass as well?

Save your time and money people and just focus on a really solid understanding of basic first aid. I can promise you that you're not treating a tension pnumo, even with a doctor standing over you, never mind based off some 1 day course you took ages ago.

@Cluster F ...Why not a Swat-T? You can use it as a tourniquet or to hold pressure on a bandage.. I agree with 2 Tourniquets. But this a small pack for a small incident...
Once it get any blood on it it likes a slick fish. With a a pain to grab on to to stretch and once in place it slips. I would rather carry two good TQs and if I wanted a pressure dressing I would use another better option.

I suppose it would make an excellent IFAK ankle rig to...

I pack a J-frame and nothing in the spare mag slot. Might have to try a CAT or RATS TQ in it...

Super-Minimalist!
Mess with the RATs before you carry it. Make sure if fits your legs. I had a few RATs but I could not get it to fit my thighs to be an effective TQ

Mess with the RATs before you carry it. Make sure if fits your legs. I had a few RATs but I could not get it to fit my thighs to be an effective TQ
I have. The RATS 2 is 6 inches longer and can shut down blood flow on my sizable thighs...

I have. The RATS 2 is 6 inches longer and can shut down blood flow on my sizable thighs...

I got a RATS stuck on my leg once when I was trying it out.

I have a RATS only for my kids. You can’t use a CAT-T or SOF-T on a little kiddo. I wouldn’t trust my life to a RATS TQ. But it’s a good option for the population that a Standard TQ will not work on.

I got a RATS stuck on my leg once when I was trying it out.

I have a RATS only for my kids. You can’t use a CAT-T or SOF-T on a little kiddo. I wouldn’t trust my life to a RATS TQ. But it’s a good option for the population that a Standard TQ will not work on.
Haha sorry picturing you panicking with it stuck haha. Yea. Kids and pets or arms.

The new GEN2 RATS is 120% longer than the original RATS TQ and fits my generous upper thigh with length to spare...

1587164210917.png

I shouldn’t talk, because I haven’t set up a trauma bag for the house yet, but I’d throw another TQ in there, as well as some presoaked burn dressings. And the obvious: training. Like you, I at one point had training in most of that stuff, but anything beyond bleeding control or splinting an injury right now I’d be more in the “good old college try” zone.

@SKumar, lidocaine is for pussies. I used whiskey when my wife put a couple sutures in my scalp the other day. Worked fine.

You guys carry all that shit on you for EDC? I thought an IFAK is something you'd have on you when going out and about. What man purse do you all recommend to be able to lug all that blowout gear in?

I shouldn’t talk, because I haven’t set up a trauma bag for the house yet, but I’d throw another TQ in there, as well as some presoaked burn dressings. And the obvious: training. Like you, I at one point had training in most of that stuff, but anything beyond bleeding control or splinting an injury right now I’d be more in the “good old college try” zone.

@SKumar, lidocaine is for pussies. I used whiskey when my wife put a couple sutures in my scalp the other day. Worked fine.
Lidocaine is for the BKA with a bone saw sir.

You guys carry all that shit on you for EDC? I thought an IFAK is something you'd have on you when going out and about. What man purse do you all recommend to be able to lug all that blowout gear in?
ED30D5A6-1FEA-4F1B-A36D-93E7995F48A7.jpeg

My IFAK

1x bovie on battery power
25 ct box woven gauze
Camelback of ortho solution (H2O2 if nothing else)
2.0 Nylon
3M Wound seal
Tegaderm
Steri strips
Emergency trach kit
Chest tube kit
7.5 Sterile gloves
Velcro tourniquet
Foil blankets
K solution
Iv tubing
Misc Venipuncture supplies
Plenty of paracord
Cloth tape

My IFAK

1x bovie on battery power
25 ct box woven gauze
Camelback of ortho solution (H2O2 if nothing else)
2.0 Nylon
3M Wound seal
Tegaderm
Steri strips
Emergency trach kit
Chest tube kit
7.5 Sterile gloves
Velcro tourniquet
Foil blankets
K solution
Iv tubing
Misc Venipuncture supplies
Plenty of paracord
Cloth tape
You carry that on you when you go to the grocery store? Color me impressed! When I was little I used to fantasize about being a hero and lugging a medic pouch wherever I went lol.

You carry that on you when you go to the grocery store? Color me impressed! When I was little I used to fantasize about being a hero and lugging a medic pouch wherever I went lol.
It was the GI Joe’s that started it. You never know what you’ll encounter at the market. As Don King would say, “Melee at the Safeway”, or “The trouble with Mr, Bubble”.

Where are you buying and which tourniquet are people buying? prices seem to range from stupid cheap to crazy expensive, also looking for zfold hemostatic badage that isn't $45 per, I would like to set up several kits

Got me to thinking I’d look for a 1-day Trauma Med class to refresh skills in early 2023. SIG’s class fee have gone up markedly - what started as a $125 class is now $310, as are most of their 1-day classes. Add in ammo and you’re spending $500 for a day. Crazy…

6E4523EA-B61A-488E-A2E0-CBD0359ECE73.jpeg

Got me to thinking I’d look for a 1-day Trauma Med class to refresh skills in early 2023. SIG’s class fee have gone up markedly - what started as a $125 class is now $310, as are most of their 1-day classes. Add in ammo and you’re spending $500 for a day. Crazy…
Not sure what level you've been trained to or how rusty you are, but a Stop The Bleed class and a CPR class are going to get you pretty well covered for what you can actually do for a patient with minimal gear for 20 minutes while you're waiting for the truck full of help to show up.

Not sure what level you've been trained to or how rusty you are, but a Stop The Bleed class and a CPR class are going to get you pretty well covered for what you can actually do for a patient with minimal gear for 20 minutes while you're waiting for the truck full of help to show up.

Yeah, I’m actually an ACS Stop The Bleed instructor. The course is fine for teachers and workplace train ing on how to use those Bleedout Kits. I’m looking for something between Prehospital Trauma Life Support and a TECC course, although I might just take the former as it’s offered in my SoNH town at a private school.

Despite your sarcasm, a kit like that (maybe not quite as much stuff depending on training level) is easy and nice to have in your trunk. It is also good to have when going for a hike or out at the range.

Having come across two different accidents where I was able to begin helping people before an ambulance showed up, it kind of validates it for me.

Despite your sarcasm, a kit like that is easy and nice to have in your trunk. It is also good to have when going for a hike or out at the range.

Having come across two different accidents where I was able to begin helping people before an ambulance showed up, it kind of validates it for me.
Not meant to be sarcastic. I wish I could lug around more when I'm on foot but it just bulks up so much. I do have a pretty comprehensive blowout kit in the car. While going out and about on foot, I typically just carry a bare minimum kit of a pair of gloves, SWAT-T, 2 rolls gauze, 2 chest seals, bandage clot pack and 4 inch shears. Even adding a CAT-7 would add bulk. What are you guys wearing to be able to lug your kit on body every day?

Back
Top Bottom