I wrote a letter to the Boston globe

I rode the commuter rail for years and other than unarmed conductors, 2-3 per train (every other car if you are lucky), there is no security on the T. When we had a problem they had to stop and wait for the police to show up. When the train reached the end of the run everyone got off so that would say the plainclothes cop would have also got off and gone home. IMHO there are no cops on the T

To start saying "If X happens, I'll do Y" is a good way to end up getting ****ed in the end. No encounter you have with danger to your life will EVER go as you plan/fantasize/fear. Thinking like that is how you freeze up, shoot the first dude who looks at you wrong when the shit hits the fan, or move in the wrong direction because that's the way you always envisioned it happening. What you do NEED to know before something happens is how to process what you're seeing/hearing/feeling/smelling and make decisions based on that. Pavlovian responses have no place in harms way, that's how you get dead.

Right. Completely spontaneous reaction is way better. In fact, why even bother bringing a gun? I'll just MacGyver something when the time comes.

Right. Completely spontaneous reaction is way better. In fact, why even bother bringing a gun? I'll just MacGyver something when the time comes.

Not spontaneous reaction, action driven by the circumstances at hand. There is a marked difference. This is why people who actually train with their firearms ingrain the fundamentals of gun handling to the point of autonomy, but don't spend time jerking off to repeated scenario fantasies. They spend their time giving themselves mental bookmarks; that is, playing through very broad scenarios once or twice, then moving on to another, that way you have some minor context for a large variety of scenarios that may play out. If your employment of your firearm is absolutely second nature, that's one less thing to think about when the brain bandwidth is throttled down to lizard level, and you can apply some of that minimal computing power to the tactics you need to survive.

Its pretty simple really so I don't understand all the fuss?

Just "click your heels together three times and say 'There's no place like home' and you'll be there."

No question. You exit by any means necessary. Your job is to protect your family and you can't do that dead.

I ride the T 2 or 3 times a year, so I don't concern myself with that much. That being said, I'm not gonna lie, I'd be very hard pressed to make that predetermination. I'm the guy who stops at car wrecks against most people's advice, and I am generally out opening roads to friends/relatives in the event of trees or other debris blocking them.

Not spontaneous reaction, action driven by the circumstances at hand. There is a marked difference. This is why people who actually train with their firearms ingrain the fundamentals of gun handling to the point of autonomy, but don't spend time jerking off to repeated scenario fantasies. They spend their time giving themselves mental bookmarks; that is, playing through very broad scenarios once or twice, then moving on to another, that way you have some minor context for a large variety of scenarios that may play out. If your employment of your firearm is absolutely second nature, that's one less thing to think about when the brain bandwidth is throttled down to lizard level, and you can apply some of that minimal computing power to the tactics you need to survive.

Now you're starting to sound like this dude named bceagleace. (this is not a compliment)

You don't even know if you would attempt to exit an active shooter situation, but you're comfortable lecturing on the appropriateness of someone else having formed a decision to do so (if possible) because you think it's jerking off?

Ok then. [laugh]

Now you're starting to sound like this dude named bceagleace. (this is not a compliment)

You don't even know if you would attempt to exit an active shooter situation, but you're comfortable lecturing on the appropriateness of someone else having formed a decision to do so (if possible) because you think it's jerking off?

Ok then. [laugh]

Not to put words in his mouth but I think it comes down to training. If you regularly train under stress to gtfo, then that may be an option. However, not training at all and expecting to follow a predetermined set of actions is foolhardy.

Going to the range and hitting paper at five yards with both of your feet planted is not training, just so we are clear. That does not mean you must go operator and FTX training but basic practice should include holster draw. Replicate stress as best you can by running, hyperventilate, whatever you need to get your heart rate up.

If your range won't allow you to draw from a holster and shoot rapid fire then join a new one FUDD.

Not to put words in his mouth but I think it comes down to training. If you regularly train under stress to gtfo, then that may be an option. However, not training at all and expecting to follow a predetermined set of actions is foolhardy.

Going to the range and hitting paper at five yards with both of your feet planted is not training, just so we are clear. That does not mean you must go operator and FTX training but basic practice should include holster draw. Replicate stress as best you can by running, hyperventilate, whatever you need to get your heart rate up.

If your range won't allow you to draw from a holster and shoot rapid fire then join a new one FUDD.

Exactly. Stated much better than the other gent, if that is what he was trying to say.

Lol you guys are saying the same damned thing and don't even know it, you're going into circle land. I think all Jibbr71 is trying to say is don't go full retard thinking about scenarios because it may not pan out the way you think.

Otherwise this portion of the thread sounds like this syncopating music from this horrible NES game... [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
You know for a bloodthirsty gun nut you seem to be rather level headed and sensible for a murdous NRA member. Good to know I'm in good company, very well spoken and congrats.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Guess I didn't dumb it down enough[thinking]...
Meanwhile, at the legion of doom, I'm gonna nope right outta this thread so it doesn't get derailed any further, and go double up the plates on the back of my carrier for when some dudes tryin' to smoke check me from behind with his .308.

Last edited:
I always tell myself not to read the comments because if I do they usually aggravate me. What happens? I read the comments and get aggravated.

Yeah but keep in mind that drawing from a tacticool drop leg holster isn't useful either when on the way home you're carrying IWB with a sweatshirt over it. Train with the gear you actually have with/on you outside of the range; throw a timer in for good measure too.

Yes. I love when you spit hot fire.

Seriously. There is a lot of 'THIS' in that post.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...tirs-debate/589FRHadpLI2k3RQyRUpkL/story.html

Here's an interesting follow-up from the Globe. They took a sampling of the comments and pieced them together to show both sides of the debate. I spoke with a Globe editor last night and the Globe staff seems to be amazed at the response to my letter. So am I. Perhaps people will begin to view people like us in a different way- hopefully for the better.

Last edited:
Guess I didn't dumb it down enough[thinking]...
Meanwhile, at the legion of doom, I'm gonna nope right outta this thread so it doesn't get derailed any further, and go double up the plates on the back of my carrier for when some dudes tryin' to smoke check me from behind with his .308.

i'll be waiting furiously stroking it with a .338. double up the IV plates for level VIII protection.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...tirs-debate/589FRHadpLI2k3RQyRUpkL/story.html

Here's an interesting follow-up from the Globe. They took a sampling of the comments and pieced them together to show both sides of the debate. I spoke with a Globe editor last night and the Globe staff seems to be amazed at the response to my letter. So am I. Perhaps people will begin to view people like us in a different way- hopefully for the better.

i was wondering where the comments went. Hopefully they will allow more articles/letters like this to be published.

Certainly not an unbiased editing job but I did not expect it fro the glob. Perhaps most gun owners either do not read & post on the glob or were drowned out by the waves of progressive noise in this state.

5 free articles are up...can't see the link [thinking]

But these half assed, elitists in their ivory tower ,can't even figure out how to get their paper delivered, the basic 150 year old function of running the business.

too busy social engineering the unwashed masses.

Back
Top Bottom