I went to a certain "free" state today

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i loved every second of it. i paid with ammo without showing a permit. no tax. i found everything was cheaper! why is everyone not in free Hampshire?

Well I am personally not that inconvenienced by living in Mass. A lot of my firearms were either acquired back in the day when there were no restrictions on what a person could purchase here in Mass, or I purchased them when I was stationed in the military out of state. I'm not a big Glock fan and I do not have the need to buy the latest polymer 18 shot wonder pistol master blaster, my Browning Hi Powers and 3rd Gen S&Ws will do quite nicely thank you. I also have my Colts collected over a span of many years, many of which I couldn't purchase anyway because that firm no longer makes them. These days I usually carry some sort of .45 or revolver so high cap sidearms aren't a big deal to me anyway. With regard to having a LTC, I live in a Green Town and have had absolutely no issues and potentially won't for a least another four years. High cap magazines? Most of the high cap guns I purchased were years ago and I bought plenty of mags for them in 1994 or I have subsequently purchased pre-ban mags, I have been going to the same gun shop for the past 24 years, I show them my LTC automatically, because they are nice guys and I don't want to jam them up just like I show my retired military ID at Hanscom AFB commissary or BX or the small PX at US Army Garrison Ft Devens. Having spent many years in the military pulling out an ID card to buy something, or even to enter a building is just not a big deal to me YMMV.

Yes, I pay taxes, but I don't pay exorbitant property taxes, which is the Achilles heel of NH. A certain percentage of my income is state tax exempt. I also live only about 15 miles from the NH border and can be across the line in 20 minutes.

Now does this mean that I will stay in Massachusetts the rest of my life? Maybe and maybe not depending on how the firearms situation goes, we get a Red COP or the laws change so they are absolutely intolerable, then I will move, when I retire I might move to a place with a lower cost of living, but it would not be NH, PA or possibly GA come to mind.

No children, all steps live out of state and are adults...absolutely no dog in that fight with regard to education, and I believe public education is screwed up in all 50 states. Yes there are individual school districts which are fine, but even in free states there are too many moonbat libtards running schools with zero tolerance policies.

Now here is the kicker and the most difficult part to write: I am of a certain age where I have lived most of my life, it is doubtful if I will see the incoming crop of first graders graduate from high school. I have lived in some of the freest states or most firearms friendly states in the country (AZ, AK and GA} I have open carried, in fact when I lived in AZ CCW was not an option, only open carry for non LEOs. Personally, I'm just not into open carry so it doesn't really effect me,

I own a large and somewhat expensive gun safe. I would own one wherever I lived so storage isn't an issue with me, nor is transport as I have always secured any firearms unloaded in a locked case in my trunk, to me it is just a habit I acquired years ago, and any firearm I will carry secured on my person or in a state that allows carry in a glove box. I can carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle in NH BTW, something an ordinary NH resident can't do unless they have a permit. I have such a permit.

If you want a state in New England with the least firearms restrictions, move to VT. On the subject of states, you free enterprise people must be mighty upset that New Hampshire has a monopoly on the liquor business. Can't buy Jim Beam at the packie down the street. When you extoll the virtues of the Granite State and you buy all your booze in NH, you are condoning a state monopoly, Ah, yes but what about beer? I can buy beer at Tedeschi's less than a mile from my house.

The situation is always fluid and is subject to change. There are many reasons for people doing what they do, your mileage may very.

Now where surprisingly where Helpful and Pleasant Guy Hiltonizer and I would agree is that all states are inherently bad, some may be worse than others, NH is better than Mass in many, many ways but it is not utopia. Maybe if I were younger, starting out as shooter/collector it would be a different story...but I think it just goes to show you, you can't make general statements as to why people do what they do or live where they live, plain and simple [wink]

For a group that is supposedly into freedom of individual choice and MYOB, there is a lot of judgement going on. To those who are militant Ma$$hole ex-pats who are the most strident, I would only say that the mantra is awfully old, not too original and yeah...we get why you moved to your paradise. Just be careful up there because the way Ma$$holes are moving to your state, things can change...be very wary. Simple fact is that if you moved to NH to be free, then why didn't you move a state more free like Idaho or North Dakota?

Last edited:
There is an old saying, "Freedom isn't free". Folks it has a price and whatever it be, if your are not willing to pay it, you do not deserve it.

Getting up before 5 to commute into Boston would make my life more miserable than the benefits of living in NH.

We have permanent guardianship of our granddaughter. in 2007 I accepted a position in Arizona, all we had to do was go to the court, explain our position. The court granted our request to relocate with the caveat that we would file in Az after establishing residency out there

You had to file for what? Guardianship in AZ?

I have had about enough of Mass too.. but move to New Hampshire? Don't think so, too damn cold and too many Mass libs moving there. When my kid is out of high school we will be heading south. Plenty of good places to live south of the Mason-Dixon line.

North Carolina is nice but there are a lot of expats from Massachusets. New Hampshire members can have a field day with this thread. Not only can they play the free state card but they can also bust PRM members who can't move there. Reminds me of Maine back in the day. Bumper stickers said "welcome to Maine now go home". If we all moved, New Hampshire would not be the same. It is not big enough for everyone. I am retired and like many aspects of NH, especially no state income tax. I am worried that in the near future that could change. Unfortunately property taxes make up a fair percent of the savings. Maybe get a small plsce in NH and another in TN... 70/30 split. Anyone have info on the Warren/Wentworth NH area?
White Feather

We have permanent guardianship of our granddaughter. in 2007 I accepted a position in Arizona, all we had to do was go to the court, explain our position. The court granted our request to relocate with the caveat that we would file in Az after establishing residency out there

After being confused yesterday about Arizona/Arkansas, (different thread)' I looked at Arizona's gun laws. It looks awesome there. You should be very happy there.
White Feather

North Carolina is nice but there are a lot of expats from Massachusets. New Hampshire members can have a field day with this thread. Not only can they play the free state card but they can also bust PRM members who can't move there. Reminds me of Maine back in the day. Bumper stickers said "welcome to Maine now go home". If we all moved, New Hampshire would not be the same. It is not big enough for everyone. I am retired and like many aspects of NH, especially no state income tax. I am worried that in the near future that could change. Unfortunately property taxes make up a fair percent of the savings. Maybe get a small plsce in NH and another in TN... 70/30 split. Anyone have info on the Warren/Wentworth NH area?
White Feather

We have been looking at North Carolina, its probably top of list now... then TN but the wife wants to be near the ocean. You're right about the expats but I can live with that, plenty of people leaving the North East. When I move it will be to a warmer climate... there is more too it than just better access to ammo and better gun laws [wink].

After being confused yesterday about Arizona/Arkansas, (different thread)' I looked at Arizona's gun laws. It looks awesome there. You should be very happy there.
White Feather

We did not end up making the move. It was in the exact time frame of Sept 2007 when the economy when kaboom, I made a quick decision and we decided to stay put.

My brother is out in Tuscon, I would like to make that move once the granddaughter is out of school

and i loved every second of it. i paid with ammo without showing a permit. no tax. i found everything was cheaper! why is everyone not in free Hampshire?
Still looking to retire up there for the freedom and fresh air, but NH's insanely high property taxes on anything decent are something we can't afford in retirement as they will not be offset anywhere near enough by no state income tax and no sales tax.

Kids at an age, 12 and 15, where moving would be tough on the, coupled with my wife loving her job as a pediatric nurse a mile and a half from our house. When the kids are out of school, it look to NC, SC, NH or VT. Montana has an outside chance as well.

Just leave already. Five thousand threads on this very topic. Blah, blah, blah...........

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

One thing not mentioned here directly, is that if you are retired in Ma. and are receiving a pension, Ma. taxes it. Move to NH and it is no longer taxable by Ma.. I worked in Ma. for 22 years while living in NH, had to pay Ma. income tax on the earnings, but do not have to pay them on my pension...even though I earned the pension in Ma..

I intend to move to NH, as soon as possible, but I do find the "my shit hole is a little better than your shit hole" argument that goes on around here pretty ridiculous sometimes. Especially coming from some people who claim to fall even further right than Libertarianism.

When I retire, soon we may move but it wont be to anywhere in New England. The whole area sucks in one way or another. The most difficult part for us will be not being able to see the kids and grand kids whenever we want. As much as some here would not believe it, family is more important to some people than gun laws or lack there of. If I am moving it is going to be somewhere warm and with all the conveniences close by.

I hate the mass gun laws, but I'm lucky to live in a green town. The only negatives for me (until the next wave of legislation passes)

1.) I have to pay more for pre-ban mags, preban lowers, non-compliant handguns

2.) for sone new pistols (M&P) there are no pre-ban mags

3.) the WORST one - no suppressors!! :(

Every state in the union has problems, nowhere is utopia. At least in NH we have local control over taxation and statewide preemption of local control over gun rights. For that, I'll put up with a state liquor monopoly (especially since it's cheap) and the inability to get good pho without driving to Massachusetts.

First off, despite the macho looks and the manly chest pounding, thanks to all the aholes moving from Mass. to NH, it's rapidly turning into a liberal, tree hugging gimme state. I've lived here all my life, and the change has been tremendous. To those whiners about "I have to live close to where I work", STFU. Be a man. I moved from the Nashua area to Grafton 10 years ago. During most of that time I worked in Stoneham and Middleton. Money wise even with gas factored in, I broke about even. I retired 3 months ago and am way ahead now.
Yes, things can change. Just wait until the Free State Project actually kicks it into drive in a couple of years. They already have 15,000 signers with about 1,500 already moved to New Hampshire . If FSP is stirring things up in Concord and Keene with just 7% of the projected "movers" in state, imagine how the "liberal, tree hugging gimme" statists will freak when libertarians start to move en masse? They're going to need more than just a bearcat to keep down the porcupines.

Just be careful up there because the way Ma$$holes are moving to your state, things can change...be very wary. Simple fact is that if you moved to NH to be free, then why didn't you move a state more free like Idaho or North Dakota?
Idaho and ND might be "free", but they have both income and sales taxation. Neither of which would matter as I'd be broke -- both states are problematic for my specialized line of work, both in terms of employment opportunities and travel time to customer sites.

Last edited:
thanks to all the aholes moving from Mass. to NH, it's rapidly turning into a liberal, tree hugging gimme state. I've lived here all my life, and the change has been tremendous.

You have been paying ZERO attention now haven't you? Have you been to Laconia? It is welfare paradise! Most of the welfare leeches are HOMEGROWN. My parents have had low income rental property in that town for the last decade+. I can definitively say (and I've seen the leeches in person) none of them were out of staters, they ALL were homegrown (Gen Xers and Gen Yers). My parents owned property i Newport, NH. Same problem. Homegrown leeches indoctrinated by the school system. Hillsborough, NH, same problem. They currently own property in Rochester. Again, same problem. Homegrown welfare leeches and indoctrination from the schools.

The former Mass resident moving to NH are not the problem. In fact, it is these same residents that is the reason for the state government being divided politically. It is these residents who are the reason almost every single border town went red during the last election.

The problem is not the M*******s moving into NH.

The problem is the ****ing public school system indoctrinating my generation and the future generations. I went through the public school system here in NH (2005). I can personally attest to the indoctrination it has and I still have to fight some of it off.

The vast majority M*******s coming to NH are all Republicans who got fed up with their vote being worth jack shit at the federal, state AND local level. They moved a short distance (border towns) because in NH their vote means something at ALL levels of government.

I purchase all of my firearms and ammunition in NH for the same reasons. No hassle and no sales tax!

One thing not mentioned here directly, is that if you are retired in Ma. and are receiving a pension, Ma. taxes it. Move to NH and it is no longer taxable by Ma.. I worked in Ma. for 22 years while living in NH, had to pay Ma. income tax on the earnings, but do not have to pay them on my pension...even though I earned the pension in Ma..
Unless it is a state pension. Then MA doesn't tax it. Fourteen other states give reciprocity and do not charge state income tax on MA state pension. NH is one but it is only because they don't have a state income tax. If they implement one, they may or may not give reciprocity which is one reason I am cautious about NH in retirement.
White Feather

Well I am personally not that inconvenienced by living in Mass. A lot of my firearms were either acquired back in the day when there were no restrictions on what a person could purchase here in Mass, or I purchased them when I was stationed in the military out of state. I'm not a big Glock fan and I do not have the need to buy the latest polymer 18 shot wonder pistol master blaster, my Browning Hi Powers and 3rd Gen S&Ws will do quite nicely thank you. I also have my Colts collected over a span of many years, many of which I couldn't purchase anyway because that firm no longer makes them. These days I usually carry some sort of .45 or revolver so high cap sidearms aren't a big deal to me anyway. With regard to having a LTC, I live in a Green Town and have had absolutely no issues and potentially won't for a least another four years. High cap magazines? Most of the high cap guns I purchased were years ago and I bought plenty of mags for them in 1994 or I have subsequently purchased pre-ban mags, I have been going to the same gun shop for the past 24 years, I show them my LTC automatically, because they are nice guys and I don't want to jam them up just like I show my retired military ID at Hanscom AFB commissary or BX or the small PX at US Army Garrison Ft Devens. Having spent many years in the military pulling out an ID card to buy something, or even to enter a building is just not a big deal to me YMMV.

Yes, I pay taxes, but I don't pay exorbitant property taxes, which is the Achilles heel of NH. A certain percentage of my income is state tax exempt. I also live only about 15 miles from the NH border and can be across the line in 20 minutes.

Now does this mean that I will stay in Massachusetts the rest of my life? Maybe and maybe not depending on how the firearms situation goes, we get a Red COP or the laws change so they are absolutely intolerable, then I will move, when I retire I might move to a place with a lower cost of living, but it would not be NH, PA or possibly GA come to mind.

No children, all steps live out of state and are adults...absolutely no dog in that fight with regard to education, and I believe public education is screwed up in all 50 states. Yes there are individual school districts which are fine, but even in free states there are too many moonbat libtards running schools with zero tolerance policies.

Now here is the kicker and the most difficult part to write: I am of a certain age where I have lived most of my life, it is doubtful if I will see the incoming crop of first graders graduate from high school. I have lived in some of the freest states or most firearms friendly states in the country (AZ, AK and GA} I have open carried, in fact when I lived in AZ CCW was not an option, only open carry for non LEOs. Personally, I'm just not into open carry so it doesn't really effect me,

I own a large and somewhat expensive gun safe. I would own one wherever I lived so storage isn't an issue with me, nor is transport as I have always secured any firearms unloaded in a locked case in my trunk, to me it is just a habit I acquired years ago, and any firearm I will carry secured on my person or in a state that allows carry in a glove box. I can carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle in NH BTW, something an ordinary NH resident can't do unless they have a permit. I have such a permit.

If you want a state in New England with the least firearms restrictions, move to VT. On the subject of states, you free enterprise people must be mighty upset that New Hampshire has a monopoly on the liquor business. Can't buy Jim Beam at the packie down the street. When you extoll the virtues of the Granite State and you buy all your booze in NH, you are condoning a state monopoly, Ah, yes but what about beer? I can buy beer at Tedeschi's less than a mile from my house.

The situation is always fluid and is subject to change. There are many reasons for people doing what they do, your mileage may very.

Now where surprisingly where Helpful and Pleasant Guy Hiltonizer and I would agree is that all states are inherently bad, some may be worse than others, NH is better than Mass in many, many ways but it is not utopia. Maybe if I were younger, starting out as shooter/collector it would be a different story...but I think it just goes to show you, you can't make general statements as to why people do what they do or live where they live, plain and simple [wink]

For a group that is supposedly into freedom of individual choice and MYOB, there is a lot of judgement going on. To those who are militant Ma$$hole ex-pats who are the most strident, I would only say that the mantra is awfully old, not too original and yeah...we get why you moved to your paradise. Just be careful up there because the way Ma$$holes are moving to your state, things can change...be very wary. Simple fact is that if you moved to NH to be free, then why didn't you move a state more free like Idaho or North Dakota?

Look at Maine with all the people from NY,CT and Mass moved up there in the last ten years have changed the gun laws and policies of that state.

I intend to move to NH, as soon as possible, but I do find the "my shit hole is a little better than your shit hole" argument that goes on around here pretty ridiculous sometimes. Especially coming from some people who claim to fall even further right than Libertarianism.
+ this [wink]
White Feather

My wife shocked me last month by saying that maybe we should move to NH or VT one day. Surprised the crap out of me. It's not possible right now as we both have elderly parents (Milford & Sturbridge) that depend on us for help with just about everything. Someday though we will be moving. She's opened the door for that now.

So for all of you that live in NH, but work in MA, what is a good area move into? I work in Canton, which will make it a long drive but I already drive an hour and 15 minutes each way now. How much longer could it be from NH.

These weekly threads are so fkn gay...all the time..why dont you come to NH and be free? STFU. Get a life, I love guns, but theres so much more to life than you little toys.

These weekly threads are so fkn gay...all the time..why dont you come to NH and be free? STFU. Get a life, I love guns, but theres so much more to life than you little toys.

then stay where you are. the weekly threads are started by MA folks that come up here and think it is paradise. So we being welcoming we say to move up here. you don't have to, no one is going to force you too. is the libertarian philosophy that confusing?

then stay where you are. the weekly threads are started by MA folks that come up here and think it is paradise. So we being welcoming we say to move up here. you don't have to, no one is going to force you too. is the libertarian philosophy that confusing?

Already got a house up there bitch. Im just sick of these threads bashing MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom