I know we all hate Mass so where would you like to live?

I call derek's basement. [laugh]

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

1. New Hampshire
2. Idaho Panhandle, Boundary County down to Lewiston, maybe Moscow.
3. The State of Franklin: East Tennessee fom Knoxville up to the VA border.
4. The northern tier of PA, from Scranton to Bradford

Four seasons, trees, hills, edible game, neighbors to hunt it with.

I have been thinking a lot about this subject lately.......Where do I want to go next?

I am getting on in years......and ready to retire, because I really am tired!

I have been up here in MA for over four years, helping a new, high-tech startup company.

I make jokes about being a "Migrant Worker" up here.....but it is more truth than a joke.

This company has exploited my talents.....and their promises of a future are really turning into bullshit!

I have been working long hours for four years...and have nothing to show for it but promises.[angry]

I really am ready to cut my losses, and move on.......but where to go next?

I guess I want to move somewhere to a small town...back out west, maybe....or even down south.

Anywhere but the Southwest.....because that open border has made that area like a freaking combat zone!

A small town where the cops wear blue uniforms, and wave at you everyday. And they don't need a paramilitary SWAT team.

A small town, where kids can start a lemonade stand, and not get threatened with being arrested.

A town where a kid can walk down the street with .22 rifle, and nobody will freak out.

And ranchers still drive pickup trucks with loaded rifles in the back window rack.[smile]

I guess I might be hoping for too much in this day and age.....

Don't get me wrong, I have made a lot of friends here in MA...and I will miss them when I am gone.

But I am really ready to move on, and get the hell out of MA!

Last edited:
Dude, seriously?

" I want it warm but not too warm... Cold is ok but not too cold... near the ocean or big lake"

Oh and my interests are hiking, kayaking and long walks on the beach with that special someone. What is your sign?

Stay hear and suffer like the rest of us because misery likes company. Mass sucks for a lot of reasons but it still beats many places.

BTW even though as a medical professional you can get a job anywhere, the pay scale varies greatly across the country.

When I was working on getting out of Illinois (only state with no LTC at all), I had distilled the list down to AZ, NH, NM, or TX. I decided I really hate fire ants, so that left one obvious choice.

None of these really fit the OP's environmental criteria (too hot/cold, etc).

Born and raised in rural VT. My heart still yearns for the Green Mountains. I was never able to take to the urban city life after testing Boston for 5 years of school, and now ~4 years of work.

Given the right opportunity, I would throw my sh*t in my truck and move back tomorrow. I miss the hunters breakfast on Opening Day. I miss shooting woodchucks from my kitchen window and my neighbor calling me to ask "do you get 'em". I miss driving golf balls into the field across the river. I miss being able to buy an sks with an aftermarket folding stock. I miss dirt roads. I miss frost heaves. I miss small town politics. I miss walking to a fishing hole. I miss being able to walk out of the house holding a rifle, unlocked, and not in a case. I miss target practice at the sand pit. I miss buying a rifle at a yard sale while coming back from vacation. I miss driving my snowmobile down the main road after a snowstorm.

Ughh. I hate this place.

Last edited:
Born and raised in rural VT. My heart still yearns for the Green Mountains. I was never able to take to the urban city life after testing Boston for 5 years.

Given the right opportunity, I would throw my sh*t in my truck and move back tomorrow. I miss the hunters breakfast on Opening Day. I miss shooting woodchucks from my kitchen window and my neighbor calling me to ask "do you get 'em". I miss driving golf balls into the field across the river. I miss being able to buy an sks with an aftermarket folding stock. I miss dirt roads. I miss frost heaves. I miss small town politics. I miss walking to a fishing hole. I miss being able to walk out of the house holding a rifle, unlocked, and not in a case. I miss target practice at the sand pit. I miss buying a rifle at a yard sale while coming back from vacation. I miss driving my snowmobile down the main road after a snowstorm.

Ughh. I hate this place.

This could quite possibly be the best paragraph I have ever read on NES.

It highlights everything that is wrong with Massachusetts and illustrates perfectly what we are missing. Mass sucks

Montana, Arizona or Vermont are three of my top choices. I actually love this state for what it has and the history that is all around us, but hate the politics and overall attitude of the Nanny state it has become

I love it here. . . .as long as I stay out of Boulder (has Cambridge mentality) and Denver (thinks it's Boston/New York)

I live between the two cities- only 15 minutes to each, and it's a different world. Drive 40 minutes in any direction and at times you could actually think you were in 50's America.

Big game Hunting and Fishing close by- My daughters drum teacher lives 1/2 hour away and had a mountain lion on his roof last month. I bought a fly rod and have been trout fishing a couple days a week on my lunch break.

Today's August 3rd and I can look out my bedroom window and still see snow (all over 12000 feet), but it's been in the 90's here at 5300 feet for the last 18 days. I'm taking my nephew for a ride on Saturday to Rocky Mountain National park (he's flying in Saturday morning) where there are Elk walking down main street.

I was planning on a ride to Sturgis this week before my MIL and nephew decided to come this visit week....4.5 hours of some of the most scenic riding in the world to Sturgis

Politically, we're a state of Republicans with pockets of moonbattery (see comments above about Boulder and Denver)....if you're willing to drive 40 minutes, there's a gun show every weekend you could goto (however all guns purchased at a gun show, both through FFL or FTF must have a $10 background check performed- passed after Columbine)

That said, it's not all cookies and icecream. . . .taxes are pretty high (higher than Mass) and there are TONS of illegals. I think at the mexican border, there must be directions to Denver, it's actually called a "safehaven city".

There's also a big gang population...I see MS13 tags in the area, and Meth is a huge problem .

No Place is perfect, but it's pretty friggen good here

I went through that whole thing and at the end it wanted personal information before it would give me any locales! Screw that.

Just decline to give your info and it will give you its results. It has been a while since I checked it out but that is how it worked a few years ago

I call derek's basement. [laugh]

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Isnt that brent guy already in there?

Ive been thinking about texas a lot lately, the coastal side outside of Houston maybe. I have to find some time to go visit and check it out as ive never been before but I think id like it as long as theres work.

I answered the personal questions . . . just not with my info that's all. Came up with a list . . . most geographically nowhere near where I specified and one place where avg house costs were 5x what I put down as the limit! [shocked]

Southern NH is my goal.

Last edited:
Ever since I got out of the Marines in 2007 I vowed that I would move out of MA before I turned 30 (turning 28 next month). I often said that I would like to live in either TX or AZ. Well, this afternoon I got offered a job in Yuma. I leave in 3 weeks for training and I should cease to be a subject of this cesspit of a state come February.

Ever since I got out of the Marines in 2007 I vowed that I would move out of MA before I turned 30 (turning 28 next month). I often said that I would like to live in either TX or AZ. Well, this afternoon I got offered a job in Yuma. I leave in 3 weeks for training and I should cease to be a subject of this cesspit of a state come February.

Congratulations!!

Nice. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom