I know we all hate Mass so where would you like to live?

I have been thinking a lot about this subject lately.......Where do I want to go next?

I am getting on in years......and ready to retire, because I really am tired!

I have been up here in MA for over four years, helping a new, high-tech startup company.

I make jokes about being a "Migrant Worker" up here.....but it is more truth than a joke.

This company has exploited my talents.....and their promises of a future are really turning into bullshit!

I have been working long hours for four years...and have nothing to show for it but promises.[angry]

I really am ready to cut my losses, and move on.......but where to go next?

I guess I want to move somewhere to a small town...back out west, maybe....or even down south.

Anywhere but the Southwest.....because that open border has made that area like a freaking combat zone!

A small town where the cops wear blue uniforms, and wave at you everyday. And they don't need a paramilitary SWAT team.

A small town, where kids can start a lemonade stand, and not get threatened with being arrested.

A town where a kid can walk down the street with .22 rifle, and nobody will freak out.

And ranchers still drive pickup trucks with loaded rifles in the back window rack.[smile]

I guess I might be hoping for too much in this day and age.....

Don't get me wrong, I have made a lot of friends here in MA...and I will miss them when I am gone.

But I am really ready to move on, and get the hell out of MA!

Sorry Sky, but I think the town you're looking for is a couple of decades in the past. If you find it though, please post it, I'm ready to join you there.

I have been thinking a lot about this subject lately.......Where do I want to go next?

I am getting on in years......and ready to retire, because I really am tired!

I have been up here in MA for over four years, helping a new, high-tech startup company.

I make jokes about being a "Migrant Worker" up here.....but it is more truth than a joke.

This company has exploited my talents.....and their promises of a future are really turning into bullshit!

I have been working long hours for four years...and have nothing to show for it but promises.[angry]

I really am ready to cut my losses, and move on.......but where to go next?

I guess I want to move somewhere to a small town...back out west, maybe....or even down south.

Anywhere but the Southwest.....because that open border has made that area like a freaking combat zone!

A small town where the cops wear blue uniforms, and wave at you everyday. And they don't need a paramilitary SWAT team.

A small town, where kids can start a lemonade stand, and not get threatened with being arrested.

A town where a kid can walk down the street with .22 rifle, and nobody will freak out.

And ranchers still drive pickup trucks with loaded rifles in the back window rack.[smile]

I guess I might be hoping for too much in this day and age.....

Don't get me wrong, I have made a lot of friends here in MA...and I will miss them when I am gone.

But I am really ready to move on, and get the hell out of MA!

Everything you wish for is here in my small town (POP 900 in winter, around 2000 summer)
The only problem is a lack of jobs.
The temperature on the coast here is on average 7 degrees cooler winter or summer. (I studied it for more than a year)
Snowfall about the same or maybe a little more than SE Mass, although you guys had it worse than us this year.
We elected a Governor this year who's fiscally responsible, and both houses of the same party. Shit's getting done. (slowly)

I'm happy with the choice I made. I hope you're happy with whatever decision you make...

Everything you wish for is here in my small town (POP 900 in winter, around 2000 summer)
The temperature on the coast here is on average 7 degrees cooler winter or summer. (I studied it for more than a year)
Snowfall about the same or maybe a little more than SE Mass, although you guys had it worse than us this year.
We elected a Governor this year who's fiscally responsible, and both houses of the same party. Shit's getting done. (slowly)

I'm happy with the choice I made. I hope you're happy with whatever decision you make...

OK I'll bite, which town?

You will get over it. What you most likely miss, is the contacts and the events of the area, that you are from. . I run into that where I am in SW New Hampshire.
Then I remind myself, But that shithole still sucks.
Perhaps.

Of course, the locals will hate you, you are already on the way to becoming a minority in NH, and you will have a difficult time finding the kind of high-income jobs available closer to Boston.

To each their own.

that sounds good. But i thought the coast was always a little warmer during winter, for the same reason it is cooler during summer.

Actually, I fit in quite well here. The locals have accepted us, and we get along very well. I don't need a job as I am retired and the wife works for the local hospital on the security force making the same she was when she left Leahy in Burlington, Ma.
I run a small one man shop welding and whatever machinery that needs to be repaired, Plow snow in the winter. Being that I spend a lot of time in the woods, Hunting,Trapping and Fishing. I am not considered an outsider, Infact some of the locals have joked, and asked, are you sure that you were a "Flat Lander"
I do travel to go to my Masonic Lodge (Thomas Talbot in Billerica), (Widows Sons, Masonic Motorcycle Assoc.) which I am very active in.
The locals do watch your activities until they find, that you come here to be one of them and not change the town.

The town I live in now (for the past 37 years) I was told was an old Yankee "townie town" and you couldn't break in unless you were born here.

Well within a year we became active in the Jaycees, town meeting, etc. and started to make a difference. Got appointed to a couple of town boards, served on the BOD of community TV for a few years and now on the Cable Advisory Board. It wasn't long before we were accepted by the "townies" like we were born here. Recently one town official got upset when I told her that when my Wife's job ends for whatever reason, we're heading for NH . . . she said that that will hurt the town and "who will replace us" at town meeting.

If you become active, but don't come in trying to convert the town to what you left, you will find that people will accept you and you will build your credibility.

I recently moved back to Mass. I Lived in Virginia Beach for about 10 years and although I liked it there. there is no place like home. One of the big things that bothered me was the fact that people down south have no concept that the left lane is the passing lane and steadily do 55 in it. I guess what I am trying to say is although Mass has some screwed up political agenda there is no place in the world I would rather be then with my friends that I trust and have known since childhood and the people that I love. My job takes me all over the world for months at a time and all I can ever think about is when I am coming home and what I am going to do. As far as the cold goes you can always put on more clothes but you can only take off so much in the heat and then your in your underwear......Just saying

Try this site

http://www.findyourspot.com/

A bit basic but you might get some ideas

Although the site is interesting, the information you feed them will be correlated with your physical location and any demographic info you "optionally" provide, the data is then marketed (sold) to other companies to exploit your desires.

Been away, so just saw this thread..... My wife has family in VA, so that would be nice, but NC also rates high on the list.....

I'm thinking a move might be possible in about 2 years...

Although the site is interesting, the information you feed them will be correlated with your physical location and any demographic info you "optionally" provide, the data is then marketed (sold) to other companies to exploit your desires.

I put down mickey mouse and my address at disney land, it still gave me a few choices I already had in mind plus some that sound great, telling them the truth about your identity is the optional part.

Florida. Definitely. Many jobs in healthcare, with more growth in the future. Also, my Florida CWP is good in a total of 35 states. I buy my target ammo at Walmart while I'm there shopping. It's a "shall issue" state. That in itself is one great reason.

Vermont, the best gun laws in the country

AZ's laws are very much like VT's now. No license necessary for open or concealed carry. AZ will, however, issue you a license if you wish so that you can have reciprocity with some other states. In VT you'd need to get a FL license or something like that in order to carry in other states.

Lived there for three years. We had $5.00 gas before it was cool. Basically, HI is stupid expensive. On the plus side, the temperature is between 65-95 degrees literally 365 days a year, and because of the constant winds it's always very comfortable. That makes being homeless a much more pleasant experience if/when you run out of money.

Lived there for three years. We had $5.00 gas before it was cool. Basically, HI is stupid expensive. On the plus side, the temperature is between 65-95 degrees literally 365 days a year, and because of the constant winds it's always very comfortable. That makes being homeless a much more pleasant experience if/when you run out of money.
Doesn't HI have horrid gun laws and a fair amount of crime?

Doesn't HI have horrid gun laws and a fair amount of crime?

Hawaii's gun laws are very bad, yes. Even LEOSA is tightly restricted. As an example, if you are an LEO and travel to Hawaii you have to register your firearm with the CLEO within 3 days of arrival. You also aren't allowed to have hi-cap mags, even you're carrying your duty pistol. Only Hawaii LEO's are allowed to have hi-caps.

As far as crime, Hawaii has a HUGE meth problem and a lot of gang activity. Asian and Polynesian gangs are very widespread. Everyone really tries to keep the Honolulu/Waikiki area secluded from all that, but if you venture further toward the western part of the island you can find some pretty ghetto areas.

I didn't check every post, but I didn't see anyone for South Carolina. It is one of the 10 best places to retire according to Money magazine. My wife and I will be checking it out very soon, but will probably not actually move until the real estate market gets a bit better since we have to sell our house here. Work is not an issue for us since this will be a "retire" move.

My wife's brother has lived in Rock Hill for many years and loves it there. Although spring, summer and fall can be very nice in N.E., we are sick of the winters here. We know it can get very hot and humid there, but you don't have to shovel that and you can just hop from air conditioned space to air conditioned space. Cost of living is much less than MA, and, of course, gun laws much better also.

I'm sure there will be a certain amount of culture shock, but we are ready for a change. As my BIL said, "if you are conservative and like guns", you'll be fine. [laugh]

I would say Canton is automatically disqualified if they are still a Class B only town.

Canton is much worse than that, it is easily considered one of the top three ABSOLUTE WORST issuing authorities in the entire state.

-Mike

I'm sure there will be a certain amount of culture shock, but we are ready for a change. As my BIL said, "if you are conservative and like guns", you'll be fine. [laugh]
I spent about a year down there in North Augusta, in '84 and '85. It may have changed since then, but, yeah, it is a culture shock for a Yankee like me. And seriously hot and humid during the summer. Also a high crime rate.

I recently moved back to Mass. I Lived in Virginia Beach for about 10 years and although I liked it there. there is no place like home. One of the big things that bothered me was the fact that people down south have no concept that the left lane is the passing lane and steadily do 55 in it.

Yeah, Wbuhrig, there are no drivers like Mass drivers. They drive so well and safely--such a pleasure to commute on the road here, really. And the traffic is so light here that you can frequently exceed 55 mph, anyway. GIVE ME A break? You seriously moved back to this shit hole for the drivers? Do you also take medication for paranoid schizophrenia and/or inflict bodily pain on yourself for pleasure?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom