• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I know I wasn't dreaming

This says it all right here.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Criminals have an un-armed public to prey on. [evil]

Nickle said:
No wonder crime is so low in my village.

The guns per capita HAS to be way up there, since it isn't a big village. 8)

Crime is low in your state, isn't it? The bodies aren't piling up in other parts because of no restrictive gun laws, are they?

Not a very safe place to be a criminal. You never know who's got a gun up here, and most homes do have them. Break-ins are usually done when nobody's home, and the neighbors keep an eye out for you.

The county I live in has 2 towns and a city that have local police. The State Police generally has 2 troopers on at a time, to cover 13 towns. The Sheriff's Dept has a couple Deputys on, but they generally are doing traffic, like the State Police.

We generally police ourselves. Not that the LEOs aren't good, because they are great, just not many of them.

Oh, I finally did find a corelation between gun control and crime. The more restrictive the gun laws, the higher the crime rate. Not what the liberals want, is it?

Oh, I finally did find a corelation between gun control and crime. The more restrictive the gun laws, the higher the crime rate. Not what the liberals want, is it?

Actually, it's EXACTLY what the liberals want.

They WANT us unarmed and afraid of the criminals. Makes it much easier to get people to agree to less freedom and more government control, which is their ultimate goal.

{/end sermon preaching to choir}...

Nickle said:
Actually, the general public is slowly begining to see the deception for what it is.

Not fast enough, but give the libs some time...they'll keep putting their foot in their mouthes and eventually light will dawn on marblehead (That's a NE joke, Tony - there's a town called Marblehead that's on the coast [lol] ), but I'm always the eternal optimist.

Well, I know a couple of residents of Malden that aren't anti-gun. Kinda hard to be anti-gun, when your sister is married to an FFL in VT.

The FFL would be my father, and I'm referring to my step-mother's sister. Of course, my step-mother (my MOM, I hate my mother) just happens to own a few handguns herself, including a Glock 22.

Jay G said:

Actually, it's EXACTLY what the liberals want.

They WANT us unarmed and afraid of the criminals. Makes it much easier to get people to agree to less freedom and more government control, which is their ultimate goal.

{/end sermon preaching to choir}...

In the words of Randy Quaid in Christmas Vacation "Bingo" [wink]

derek said:

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Where did you get those stats?

Hawgleg44 said:
derek said:

Where did you get those stats?

Derek is quoting from the second URL that I gave in my post ( http://www.goal.org/news/announcements/debateover.html ), which provides links to the original report by the notoriously anti-gun/anti-self-defense Mass DPH. Can you say "hoist on his own petard", boys and girls? I know your could. [lol] [lol]

Ken

Hawgleg44 said:
Thanks. I guess I should have spent more time following the links. I hate waiting for dailup to slooooooowly get places :x .

Me too - DSL RULES!!! I can't believe the difference. Yeah, it's a bit more $ wise, but it's bloody well worth it.

The sad fact about the stats is the papers will NEVER publish it. News coverage will never air it unless you very much ambush them and cause them to melt, which can be easy to do.

God, to be able to get a Press Pass for one of these 'Guns are the root of crime in Mass' BS Q&A's and just quote the stats from the state's and DoJ crime stats.

Or, set up this billboard

Criminals for Gun Control

My favorite statstic was the result of surveys of inmates. Specifically the question "What do you fear most when you commit a crime." Top #1 answer on the board was "An Armed Victim".

And now, for the part you NEVER see on an anti-gun quote or statistic - THE SOURCE!!!!

Gun Ownership deters criminals:
Rengert G. and Wasilchick J., Suburban Burglary: A Time and a Place for Everything, 1985, Springfield, IL. Gary Kleck, Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, Walter de Gruyter, Inc., New York, 1997.

IIRC, there once was a very determined anti-gunner that did research on guns and crime. And it was honest research.

The outcome of his research?

He found that the more gun control, the more crime, the less gun control, the less crime.

The bottom line?

He's no longer anti-gun, but is now pro-gun.

Scary, isn't it?

Nickle said:
IIRC, there once was a very determined anti-gunner that did research on guns and crime. And it was honest research.

The outcome of his research?

He found that the more gun control, the more crime, the less gun control, the less crime.

The bottom line?

He's no longer anti-gun, but is now pro-gun.

Wasn't that John Lott?

Ross

Nickle said:
dwarven1 said:
Wasn't that John Lott?

Ross

I think so.

Yes, it was. Although I don't think he was TOTALLY anti (IIRC). However, he did wonder what the break down of stats were, so, he went and researched it. Nice to see that logic hit home with at least one of them. :D

John wasn't really anti-gun before he did his research. He didn't own any guns, and had assumed that the results would show that liberalized concealed carry laws would result in higher crime rates. When the results showed exactly the opposite (and he had checked them more ways than you can immagine) he became pro-gun.

A more likely person would be Gary Kleck, who says that he was definitely anti-gun before doing his research. The really interesting thing is we can go on for quite some time naming researchers who started out either mildly or strongly anti-gun, but changed to pro-gun based on their research. I don't think that the other side can name a single researcher who's moved in the other direction.

Ken

KMaurer said:
The really interesting thing is we can go on for quite some time naming researchers who started out either mildly or strongly anti-gun, but changed to pro-gun based on their research. I don't think that the other side can name a single researcher who's moved in the other direction.

Ken

Amazing, isn't it? The only one who comes to mind is that dentist (I can't remember his name). But then again, he was so totally anti gun that he wasn't looking for the truth and used idiotic stats that he twisted to show he was right when in actuality he only got held up for ridicule because it was so patently false. He was a fan of Marvin Gaye and did the study after Gaye's dad was shot. Anyone remember his name? He's always used as the anti's "See! We told you so!" banner boy.

Chris Tavaras, Paxton Quigley - to name a few people who were donors to the anti's until they finally heard the truth.

The interesting fact is that in all my years, I've never, not once, head of a supporter of Gun Rights ever become an Anti.

Chris said:
Chris Tavaras, Paxton Quigley - to name a few people who were donors to the anti's until they finally heard the truth.

The interesting fact is that in all my years, I've never, not once, head of a supporter of Gun Rights ever become an Anti.

Look at the reason for some of the anti's to change. It says it all.

Back
Top Bottom