• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HUGE loop hole in CT AWB. People are buying them now.

I dont think thats an AOW...a VFG would make it one, but I can't tell from the picture but i dont think that that grip folds down into a vertical position... you can have a forward grip on a ar pistol..like AFG(angled foregrip)

How long until they change the ban's wording from "rifle" to "firearm?"

That's why fight club rules should apply to this thing. Much like they do to the MA loophole here. Everyone needs to STFU about it before we cause the hole to be plugged.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all. We just don't need to be telling them about it.

That's why fight club rules should apply to this thing. Much like they do to the MA loophole here. Everyone needs to STFU about it before we cause the hole to be plugged.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all. We just don't need to be telling them about it.
In a state with a registry like MA (it has one more or less) they can figure it out from the database

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

"Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500. "

This MGL refers to a loaded firearm whereas the post referred to an unloaded firearm.

This MGL refers to a loaded firearm whereas the post referred to an unloaded firearm.

The law does stipulate that the holder of a LTC Class B must have the firearm unloaded while transported in a vehicle. There is no such burden for the holder of a LTC Class A.

"(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500. "

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just thought I'd share an interesting development in the push back against PA 13-3 that essentially outlawed all future ownership of AR15s or any other pistol gripped, semi-auto, detachable magazine centerfire rifles.

Its from the Freedom Shoppe.

This is it:
View attachment 186842

PA 13-3 defines an AW as any semi-auto firearm with a detachable mag that . . .

Then it goes on to apply restriction to rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

This firearm is legal because it is none of the above.

It is not a handgun because CT law defines a handgun as any firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches.
Its not a rifle because CT law defines a rifle as any firearm intended to be shot from the shoulder.
Its not a shotgun because is discharges a single projectile.

So its a firearm, but not a pistol, rifle or shotgun.

Link to definitions. Go to paragraph 16 and read from there. https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_950.htm

There are only restrictions on pistols, rifles, or shotguns in PA13-3.

What this item is though is an Any Other Weapon (AOW) per the ATF. That means it is an NFA item and requires the issuance of a tax stamp. Fortunately an AOW stamp is only $5 plus a 4 month wait.

Beautiful huh?

If you take the VFG off it, doesn't that dodge the AOW BS?

-Mike

CT is nothing like CA. In fact, its less shitty than MA. You have a (state) constitutional right to own firearms in CT.

Not arguing MA is a firearm friendly state, but our constitution also guarantees the following (emphasis mine):

Article I. All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties;

Article XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence.

The law does stipulate that the holder of a LTC Class B must have the firearm unloaded while transported in a vehicle. There is no such burden for the holder of a LTC Class A.

"(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500. "

I think you are off the mark in what you are referencing from Don's post. Here is what said (for example the fact that an unloaded handgun does not have to be under your direct control or in a locked container. Yes. really, read the law)

You mentioned one portion of transport, but it isn't quite what he is saying.

There is no history of CT AG doing anything like this ever. If you want to be afraid to exercise your rights CLEARLY within the law, I'd suggest you stick with single action revolvers and bolt action rifles.

That argument is fantastic until you realize the Commiechusetts AG had never done anything like this before either. Although I would be surprised if any other AG did this before it hits the courtroom.

That's pretty cool Don. College bills mean I probably won't be buying anything fun for a while but who knows, maybe I'll find a bag of cash in a ditch. How much are those going for?

$850.

I also can't think of any reason you couldn't put a sig arm brace on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you link me to a cite for that in MGL? I thought options were direct control, trigger lock, or container

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

"Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500. "

Note the word LOADED.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you link me to a cite for that in MGL? I thought options were direct control, trigger lock, or container

They are putting photos of smiling customers on the gun shop's web page as well as their FB page.

NES is the least of their worries.

- - - Updated - - -

If you take the VFG off it, doesn't that dodge the AOW BS?

-Mike

I think so. At this point, I still don't understand why they put a VFG on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not arguing MA is a firearm friendly state, but our constitution also guarantees the following (emphasis mine):

Article I. All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties;

Article XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence.

Thanks. I learned something tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are off the mark in what you are referencing from Don's post. Here is what said (for example the fact that an unloaded handgun does not have to be under your direct control or in a locked container. Yes. really, read the law)

You mentioned one portion of transport, but it isn't quite what he is saying.

Also. That restriction applies to a Class B license. I don't know anyone with a Class B license and they haven't issued one in 2 years.

There is no restriction in the statute on the unloaded transport of a firearm. (recognizing that Firearm in MA means handgun) There are also no restrictions on non-large capacity rifles or shotguns. Again. Read the law, slowly, and carefully. Parse each phrase.

- - - Updated - - -

That argument is fantastic until you realize the Commiechusetts AG had never done anything like this before either. Although I would be surprised if any other AG did this before it hits the courtroom.

Yes they did, the entire Glock lawsuit going on is based on something the MA AG did on their own years ago.

Can those with more history in MA let us know when the MA AG handgun safety regs went into effect?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not totally up to date on the finer points of what constitutes an AOW , but maybe they are pre-empting people from violating NFA by taking that step ahead of time.
The vfg may give more control while shooting rather than just the handguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I'm not totally up to date on the finer points of what constitutes an AOW , but maybe they are pre-empting people from violating NFA by taking that step ahead of time.
The vfg may give more control while shooting rather than just the handguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be right, by them making it an AOW you don't have people taking it home, thinking "Hey, I know what this needs, a vertical grip" and putting one on making it an AOW without the stamp and getting nailed by the feds.

Nothing. A pistol brace doesn't make or not make a pistol. BARREL LENGTH will. AOW would be a 16" bbl and a brace. Or no brace. I haven't re-necro'd the thread, but just acquiring a pistol in CT (which apparently is illegal) and adding a VFG to AOW it would not be adequate. I think. This crap confuses me and I'm one of the smarter and more humble folks here. ;)

Nothing. A pistol brace doesn't make or not make a pistol. BARREL LENGTH will. AOW would be a 16" bbl and a brace. Or no brace. I haven't re-necro'd the thread, but just acquiring a pistol in CT (which apparently is illegal) and adding a VFG to AOW it would not be adequate. I think. This crap confuses me and I'm one of the smarter and more humble folks here. ;)

Ummmm... No. The lack of ability to accept a stock makes it a pistol according to the feds. A brace has no bearing on this. You can also have what ever length barrel you want, it's irrelevant to the pistol/rifle classification. In this case, the forward vertical grip on a pistol with an overall length (OAL) of less than 26" is what makes it an AOW.

To transfer an AOW, you pay for a $5 tax stamp on a Form 4. To build one, you pay the $200 tax stamp on a (e)Form 1.

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share an interesting development in the push back against PA 13-3 that essentially outlawed all future ownership of AR15s or any other pistol gripped, semi-auto, detachable magazine centerfire rifles.

Its from the Freedom Shoppe.

This is it:
View attachment 186842

PA 13-3 defines an AW as any semi-auto firearm with a detachable mag that . . .

Then it goes on to apply restriction to rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

This firearm is legal because it is none of the above.

It is not a handgun because CT law defines a handgun as any firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches.
Its not a rifle because CT law defines a rifle as any firearm intended to be shot from the shoulder.
Its not a shotgun because is discharges a single projectile.

So its a firearm, but not a pistol, rifle or shotgun.

Link to definitions. Go to paragraph 16 and read from there. Chapter 950 - Penal Code: General Provisions

There are only restrictions on pistols, rifles, or shotguns in PA13-3.

What this item is though is an Any Other Weapon (AOW) per the ATF. That means it is an NFA item and requires the issuance of a tax stamp. Fortunately an AOW stamp is only $5 plus a 4 month wait.

Beautiful huh?

I remember seeing this 2 years ago and being mad about the fingers in the trigger guard.

It still triggers my jimmies.

Ummmm... No. The lack of ability to accept a stock makes it a pistol according to the feds. A brace has no bearing on this. You can also have what ever length barrel you want, it's irrelevant to the pistol/rifle classification. In this case, the forward vertical grip on a pistol with an overall length (OAL) of less than 26" is what makes it an AOW.

To transfer an AOW, you pay for a $5 tax stamp on a Form 4. To build one, you pay the $200 tax stamp on a (e)Form 1.

So I can have a pistol with a 42" barrel??? Like I said, there are too many laws.

So many absurd and confusing laws that abiding citizens have to try and navigate around. Even still, you may get prosecuted. We are a LONG way from 'shall not be infringed'. 2A is so simple.

Reading all this made me think the same. My head hurts. The laws are just plain silly...

I’m working on a Sten kit. Was thinking of making it a pistol. Thankfully, before buying the bbl and grip, I realized it would be a MA AWB violation due to weight and mag in front of the grip. Ugh.

So I can have a pistol with a 42" barrel??? Like I said, there are too many laws.

No you can not. We are talking about CT. CT defines a handgun as a firearm having a bbl of less than 12 inches.

Sec. 53a-3. Definitions. Except where different meanings are expressly specified, the following terms have the following meanings when used in this title:

(18) "Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

Back
Top Bottom