HUGE loop hole in CT AWB. People are buying them now.

No you can not. We are talking about CT. CT defines a handgun as a firearm having a bbl of less than 12 inches.

Sec. 53a-3. Definitions. Except where different meanings are expressly specified, the following terms have the following meanings when used in this title:

(18) "Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

Isn't that the point of the "loophole" that this is not a pistol under State law?

Feds don't give a shit about barrel length, though.

I’m working on a Sten kit. Was thinking of making it a pistol. Thankfully, before buying the bbl and grip, I realized it would be a MA AWB violation due to weight and mag in front of the grip. Ugh.
Make a new grip around the mag well and run a control rod back from the new trigger to the original fire control group. That would actually put the end of the receiver tube at a good length to be not a stock, but ends up being about like an AR buffer tube.

LOL. Then it ejects STRAIGHT UP. I mean, besides not looking all WW2-ey. I could try and fire it fast enough to "juggle" a spent cartridge back INTO the receiver.

in CT, these type of ar15 are legal because it’s not a rifle (no stock) not a pistol because it’s meant to be fired with 2 hands (vertical grip), and even with the vertical grip, it is not an AOW because over all length is greater than 26”. It’s federal and CT definition is a firearm, much like the mossberg shockwave. It’s basically is the same configuration as an AOW, but cannot be considered one due to being longer than 26”. In CT barrel just needs to be over 12” (can pin and weld a 10.5” barrel and it’s just over 12”). Can’t use folding braces on these unless you want to register it as an AOW first, and then barrel length can be as short as you want, and this is still legal in CT because an AOW isn’t a pistol or a rifle, so it doesn’t violate the AWB.

in CT, these type of ar15 are legal because it’s not a rifle (no stock) not a pistol because it’s meant to be fired with 2 hands (vertical grip), and even with the vertical grip, it is not an AOW because over all length is greater than 26”. It’s federal and CT definition is a firearm, much like the mossberg shockwave. It’s basically is the same configuration as an AOW, but cannot be considered one due to being longer than 26”. In CT barrel just needs to be over 12” (can pin and weld a 10.5” barrel and it’s just over 12”). Can’t use folding braces on these unless you want to register it as an AOW first, and then barrel length can be as short as you want, and this is still legal in CT because an AOW isn’t a pistol or a rifle, so it doesn’t violate the AWB.

There are 2 problems with this as I can see them.

You flip back and forth between CT and Fed. Stick to CT. That's all that matters. If it can avoid being an AOW, great. But its gravy.

You said. " In CT barrel just needs to be over 12” (can pin and weld a 10.5” barrel and it’s just over 12”)."
There is no reason to pin and weld anything onto the end of this barrel. Just get a 12.1" barrel.

You said. "Can’t use folding braces on these unless you want to register it as an AOW first, and then barrel length can be as short as you want, and this is still legal in CT because an AOW isn’t a pistol or a rifle, so it doesn’t violate the AWB. "

Nope. There is no such thing as an AOW in CT law. This is why you don't mix fed and CT terminology.
And in fact if the barrel can NOT be shorter than 12" because then its a pistol. Barrel must MUST be >12", otherwise CT law considers it to be a pistol, in which case an AR is an assault weapon.

Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I came here looking for some info about ct others and noticed some strange thinking regarding AOWs. Basically, ignoring overall length and shouldering capability for now, an AOW cannot have a lone rifled barrel. They are smooth bore, or are a combo with a smooth bore barrel and rifled barrel on the same firearm (like a 22lr/410). A firearm with only one rifled barrel cannot be an AOW, per the ATF website. The Mossberg shockwave is an AOW, but no variation of ar-15 can be, unless it has a smooth bore. Such is my interpretation anyway. These laws a ridiculous.

There is a certain place in central CT that begins with an H that has been selling 12.5” and 14.5” AR others both prominently displayed on their website and in store. They had several state visits and are assured that they comply with all - current - state and federal laws.

Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I came here looking for some info about ct others and noticed some strange thinking regarding AOWs. Basically, ignoring overall length and shouldering capability for now, an AOW cannot have a lone rifled barrel. They are smooth bore, or are a combo with a smooth bore barrel and rifled barrel on the same firearm (like a 22lr/410). A firearm with only one rifled barrel cannot be an AOW, per the ATF website. The Mossberg shockwave is an AOW, but no variation of ar-15 can be, unless it has a smooth bore. Such is my interpretation anyway. These laws a ridiculous.

It’s confusing to me too, but I haven’t read a lot.
“ Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.”

But

My understanding is that you're conflating AOW and "Other Firearm." I'm pretty sure these are not the same.

If you check the first link I posted, it says “Any Other Weapon” which I think where the confusion comes from.

This cleared it up for me though:

A pistol under the definition isn’t made to be fired with two hands, so a pistol with a rifled bore with a VFG is no longer a pistol.

Last edited:
In fact, its not even close to NY, NJ or MA. So although CT sucks. It is currently a better place to be a gun owner than only 4 other states that I can think of. MA, NY, NJ and CA.

Don

Not in theory. In fact.

There is no history of CT AG doing anything like this ever. If you want to be afraid to exercise your rights CLEARLY within the law, I'd suggest you stick with single action revolvers and bolt action rifles.
Thsi depends on your circumstances. One can move into MA with a preban collection of ARs and >10 round mags with the only obstacle being getting the MA LTC.

There is no procedure for a non-resident of CT to legally possess pre-ban ARs or > 10 round mags if they did not register them during the one-time window for doing so in CT.

So, as with many things, the answer is "it depends", and the answer as to which is better is subjective as neither MA or CT is a superset of the other.

If you check the first link I posted, it says “Any Other Weapon” which I think where the confusion comes from.

This cleared it up for me though:

A pistol under the definition isn’t made to be fired with two hands, so a pistol with a rifled bore with a VFG is no longer a pistol.
Yes, you're talking about the ATF definition of "Any Other Weapon"

The CT law allows for "Other Firearms." Which is not the same.

This thread is about the latter, not the former. Which is not your fault - you replied to a poster who initiated the confusion.

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share an interesting development in the push back against PA 13-3 that essentially outlawed all future ownership of AR15s or any other pistol gripped, semi-auto, detachable magazine centerfire rifles.

Its from the Freedom Shoppe.

This is it:
View attachment 186842

PA 13-3 defines an AW as any semi-auto firearm with a detachable mag that . . .

Then it goes on to apply restriction to rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

This firearm is legal because it is none of the above.

It is not a handgun because CT law defines a handgun as any firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches.
Its not a rifle because CT law defines a rifle as any firearm intended to be shot from the shoulder.
Its not a shotgun because is discharges a single projectile.

So its a firearm, but not a pistol, rifle or shotgun.

Link to definitions. Go to paragraph 16 and read from there. https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_950.htm

There are only restrictions on pistols, rifles, or shotguns in PA13-3.

What this item is though is an Any Other Weapon (AOW) per the ATF. That means it is an NFA item and requires the issuance of a tax stamp. Fortunately an AOW stamp is only $5 plus a 4 month wait.

Beautiful huh?
Not gonna read through the thread, but how many people went bananas because the guy in the pic has his fingers inside the trigger guard with a mag in the gun? [laugh]

Yes, you're talking about the ATF definition of "Any Other Weapon"

The CT law allows for "Other Firearms." Which is not the same.

This thread is about the latter, not the former. Which is not your fault - you replied to a poster who initiated the confusion.

Yes. Every firearm needs to be looked at from a federal and a state perspective.

A firearm could be one thing per the feds and another thing per the state of CT.
For example a SBR is a rifle per the feds. But CT defines anything with a barrel less than 12 inches as a handgun.

So a 10.5" SBR, which is pretty common is a rifle federally and a pistol per the state of CT.

One consequence of this is that you can carry a 10.5" rifle (provided it's not an AW per CT law) loaded in your car.

Thsi depends on your circumstances. One can move into MA with a preban collection of ARs and >10 round mags with the only obstacle being getting the MA LTC.

There is no procedure for a non-resident of CT to legally possess pre-ban ARs or > 10 round mags if they did not register them during the one-time window for doing so in CT.

So, as with many things, the answer is "it depends", and the answer as to which is better is subjective as neither MA or CT is a superset of the other.

True. And since I wrote this 5 years ago, the Bruen case has made things much better for MA people. CT has always unofficially been a SHALL issue state. No restrictions. Some towns slow walk the applications, but they do that to everyone.

The only thing CT really has over MA now is that there aren't any restrictions on handguns other than those that fall under the AWB.

There is a certain place in central CT that begins with an H that has been selling 12.5” and 14.5” AR others both prominently displayed on their website and in store. They had several state visits and are assured that they comply with all - current - state and federal laws.
There's no need to obfuscate. Its Hoffman's
Scott Hoffman has been openly thumbing his nose at the state for years, all while being scrupulously careful to be in strict compliance with the actual law.

Scott was the first one to start selling AKs in calibers other than 7.62x39 when case law made it so that the old AWB only applied to 7.63x39 AKs.

Believe me, he would love to be mentioned here.

I don't know how he got it but his vanity platte was GUN-NUT. Since CT went to 7 digits, I think it may now be HOFF-GUN

Back
Top Bottom