How to Tell If Gun is Brand New?

It's a Felony to list a used gun as "NEW"... thinking.png

ba6fa2e0-6ab9-4965-9359-0ce40e4392b2_image.jpg

[rofl]

You don’t have to be a genius to write well-formed sentences, with periods and commas as appropriate. If you want people to be able to read and understand your post, then you need to do a little bit of work to make your post more clear. If you write a paragraph-long run-on sentence, then we are going to give you an appropriate level of grief.

Don’t ever send a gun you brought brand new to a gun range dealer that isn’t carrying that type of firearm cause it won’t only be factory tested anymore trust me it happened to me my tag said new when I ask the guy why was my case open and my adapter and empty shell for The chamber missing he said he had to open it to get the serial number when the serial number was on the side of the case I asked again where is my adapter and shell case for the chamber the lady looked suspect and said I don’t know we don’t shoot the guns before I could even asked if they had used it although I know I wasn’t gonna get the truth they clearly used my gun at that range I’m not upset about it i’ve brought used guns before but I was aware that they were used by owners before me it’s just when you buy a gun at a full price and not the first one to get to use it other than the factory you kind of feel cheated now I only send my guns to dealers that don’t run a gun range
Have you ever heard of a "run on sentence"?

There are plenty of illiterate people that are smarter then most people you encounter every day.

Shit most negligent things I’ve seen happen with firearms were by highly “educated” people

I thought this was a chat room for shooters. not a Grammar class. so who cares about pronunciation and run on sentences. but if it makes it easier for The English majors to read. I’ll do it. What’s understood doesn’t need to be explained. I just never had a hard time reading a run on sentence.

I thought this was a chat room for shooters. not a Grammar class. so who cares about pronunciation and run on sentences. but if it makes it easier for The English majors to read. I’ll do it. What’s understood doesn’t need to be explained. I just never had a hard time reading a run on sentence.
I’m an engineer, not an English major. Paragraph-long run-on sentences are difficult to read.

I look at periods the same way I look at decimal points... with consternation...

Don’t ever send a gun you brought brand new to a gun range dealer that isn’t carrying that type of firearm cause it won’t only be factory tested anymore trust me it happened to me my tag said new when I ask the guy why was my case open and my adapter and empty shell for The chamber missing he said he had to open it to get the serial number when the serial number was on the side of the case I asked again where is my adapter and shell case for the chamber the lady looked suspect and said I don’t know we don’t shoot the guns before I could even asked if they had used it although I know I wasn’t gonna get the truth they clearly used my gun at that range I’m not upset about it i’ve brought used guns before but I was aware that they were used by owners before me it’s just when you buy a gun at a full price and not the first one to get to use it other than the factory you kind of feel cheated now I only send my guns to dealers that don’t run a gun range
So exactly what was the issue?

Dealers typically check the actual firearm for the serial number instead of trusting the packaging. It’s called “verifying”.

Was this a firearm you already inspected before sending and noticed it got used or is this one you never physically saw and it’s different from what was advertised?

If you're going to necro an 11 year old thread all we ask is post a reply worth reading

Dealers typically check the actual firearm for the serial number instead of trusting the packaging. It’s called “verifying”.
They'd better. The transfer is of a firearm, not its package. While the manufacturer intends the info to match, the numbers on the outside are just a useful aid and are not to be trusted.

They'd better. The transfer is of a firearm, not its package. While the manufacturer intends the info to match, the numbers on the outside are just a useful aid and are not to be trusted.

I've never seen a box with a wrong serial. (Although its not impossible) I've seen boxes with the wrong gun of the same type in them though. A quick look/verify before a gun leaves a shop = potentially saves "horrible extension cord mess" grade trouble later. 🤣

I've never seen a box with a wrong serial. (Although its not impossible) I've seen boxes with the wrong gun of the same type in them though. A quick look/verify before a gun leaves a shop = potentially saves "horrible extension cord mess" grade trouble later. 🤣
Like blued vs stainless? Or 4" vs 5" barrel?

If you buy a gun that you don’t have isn’t it new? New to you. One thing though, tell the gun clerk you want one that hasn’t been opened. When I bought my 92fs, it was in the display and it had a small scratch on it. It was my first or second firearm and I think the gun store owner took advantage.
Someone please check my punctuation. I put indentation on the paragraphs, but when you post it disappears.

Like blued vs stainless? Or 4" vs 5" barrel?
More common example is a shop will take in like say a half a dozen of the same model of gun, new.... you might have two or three in a display case or something; and in the shuffle of moving guns around somebody ends up putting a gun in a box that it didn't belong in...

Factories don't actually screw up their end of the gig that much at all because they know how painful it is and how costly it would be to them in terms of an audit problem.

Shitty tip - selling a used "Glock in MA" that still doesn't have any wear marks on the hood of the barrel? No worries, just squeeze some of that factory copper anti seize back into the corners of the slide and bam, you got a 'NEW GLOCK IN MA RARE' lol.

Some dealers procedure is to always verify the serial number on the actual firearm, and not trust the package label for inventory and recording purposes.

So exactly what was the issue?

Was this a firearm you already inspected before sending and noticed it got used or is this one you never physically saw and it’s different from what was advertised?
No it was an online purchase, I was missing a magazine which I didn’t mention in the last comment, and the mag Adapter which I don’t give a shit about it just the Principal all I’m saying is if your firearm don’t look as new as you think it should, or your feed ramp looks like a few rounds been put down range like mine did, Someone at a gun range has a better chance of using your firearm, If you ask me I think they did a little bit more than verifying.

No it was an online purchase, I was missing a magazine which I didn’t mention in the last comment, and the mag Adapter which I don’t give a shit about it just the Principal all I’m saying is if your firearm don’t look as new as you think it should, or your feed ramp looks like a few rounds been put down range like mine did, Someone at a gun range has a better chance of using your firearm, If you ask me I think they did a little bit more than verifying.
What makes you think the problem is with the transferring ffl and not the seller?

And exactly what gun is this? Some manufacturers test fire and leave it dirty so it wouldn’t be strange for the feed ramp to be a little dirty. I’m also hoping this isn’t something stupid like a Sig from when they shipped a mag less with an IOU.

Could also try contacting the manufacturer about the missing mag and hope they do something.

If you ask me I think they did a little bit more than verifying.
I suppose it is not beyond the realm of possibility that an FFL got a unique gun transferred in, had never fired one before and decided to run a magazine through it. It would be a dick move, but wouldn't surprise me.
Curious to know what gun it was. I figure it was not a Sig, Ruger or HK because you said the FFL didn't carry that brand, and they all carry those.
Many guns that I have purchased new came with a one or two empty shell casings that were test fired at the factory. Often with a little card that lists the ammo used and signature of the person that fired it.
Even high end brands like Wilson do this, and I think Greg Derr has mentioned test firing. Totally cool with that. Could you imagine dropping 10k on a gun and no one bothered to see if it shoots?
If it was a common brand, and they fired more than a couple of rounds, you would think they would be smart enough to at least run a bore snake through it.

The higher end customs usually have some extensive test firing, sometime hundreds of rounds (before and/or after finishes have be applied).
Some factories have machines that cycle the action hundreds of times before test firing.
A lot of hickups that might occur with a brand new gun will occur in the first 100-500 rounds, so if buying a gun second hand the previous owner has done you a favor and broken it in a bit and lapped some of the internals with oil and carbon.
I've see people get their panties in a twist over the most subtle of cosmetic inconsistencies in new/used guns. I find it hilarious.
These are never guns that you'll see at Rock Island in 60 years... It's usually some crappy polymer thing that will get taken to the range every 2-6 months and fed a box of the absolute cheapest dogshit ammo (marked up 1000%) from the counter and then forgotten about in a shoebox under the bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom