• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Tell If Gun is Brand New?

Not being a gun expert is there anything in particular that I can look out for that would tell me that a gun has never been fired?
I bought few guns from dealers, that I was told were factory brand new, yet they had some powder residue and some of them came with one spent shell. So I assumed that most guns are tested at the factory and that the ones I bought were still brand new?
I am looking to buy a safe queen but I don't want to spend the money if it truly isn't brand new. So is there any particular part on the gun that can examine closely that would tell me decisively that it is brand spanking new?

Not being a gun expert is there anything in particular that I can look out for that would tell me that a gun has never been fired?
I bought few guns from dealers, that I was told were factory brand new, yet they had some powder residue and some of them came with one spent shell. So I assumed that most guns are tested at the factory and that the ones I bought were still brand new?
I am looking to buy a safe queen but I don't want to spend the money if it truly isn't brand new. So is there any particular part on the gun that can examine closely that would tell me decisively that it is brand spanking new?
Most all guns are test fired at the factory and most manufacturers do not clean the gun after the gun was test fired. So yes, your "new" gun usually has powder residue in it. Furthermore, some states like Maryland require a spent shell casing for new guns to be added to their ballistics database.

No, I don't think there is anything on most guns that you can check to prove that it has never been fired. On revolvers you can sometimes tell if the cylinder has never been turned.

You can't. Nearly all handguns at least are fired at least a few times at the factory.... and they never clean them.

Some guns like collectors pieces, etc, might not be, but those are a whole other ballgame.

You're worrying too much. Buy it and enjoy it... or don't. I wouldn't stress out over whether it was "brand new" vs "fired a few times".

-Mike

Personally I'm upset that my guns haven't been fired enough.

I can fix that for you, for reasonable rates too. Hell, you're such a nice guy I won't even charge you. Just bring the firearm in question and appropriate ammo to HSC and I will do the rest. [smile]

I can fix that for you, for reasonable rates too. Hell, you're such a nice guy I won't even charge you. Just bring the firearm in question and appropriate ammo to HSC and I will do the rest. [smile]

Thanks for the offer, but my check to the WSC just got cashed, so I'll be able to treat them the way they should be from here on out.[laugh]

While I agree with what has already been posted. if you are buying a gun for the sole purpose of putting into the safe and NOT using it. then there will be things to look for and places that will show visible wear. But it really depends on the gun in question..And even then, that brand new "unfired gun" you buy brand new, you can always expect that it has been test fired a few times at the factory..

On a revolver, the drag marks on the cylinder. discoloration around the cylinder face and sometimes at the muzzle.
On a lot of semis, dings around the ejection port. Also gunk on the gas rod.

Why the hell would you want a gun thats never been fired? Tested? or held its sighting in.

Why the hell would you want a gun thats never been fired? Tested? or held its sighting in.

We have a winner, with the proper response!! Guns are made for one thing, to put lead downrange and have a fun time doing this. As Depicts has stated, " I also have bought many "new" guns that have many rounds through them, their new to me! Go have fun and shoot, when you get one that's a tack driver, that's the one that gets the one extra wipe and special "hole in the safe"

If it's a used Glock it will be in pieces and have blood and skin fragments embedded in its shards.
If it's a new Ruger it will, for the first and last time prior to use be in one piece, but Rugers usually fall apart or fail before they manage to hurt anyone.
If it's a walther that hasn't been fired the owner will still speak highly of it...
[laugh]
Anything else check for wear on the contact surfaces (removal of phosphate/bluing)

If you are not comfortable with your expertise in identifying which wear matters then buy new from a reputable gun store.

Last edited:
Back when Glock were legal in Mass (for 2 weeks) I bought a brand new Glock. The dealer let me break the seal on the box. Now those were the days...

Most all guns are test fired at the factory and most manufacturers do not clean the gun after the gun was test fired. So yes, your "new" gun usually has powder residue in it. Furthermore, some states like Maryland require a spent shell casing for new guns to be added to their ballistics database.

No, I don't think there is anything on most guns that you can check to prove that it has never been fired. On revolvers you can sometimes tell if the cylinder has never been turned.
Don’t ever send a gun you brought brand new to a gun range dealer that isn’t carrying that type of firearm cause it won’t only be factory tested anymore trust me it happened to me my tag said new when I ask the guy why was my case open and my adapter and empty shell for The chamber missing he said he had to open it to get the serial number when the serial number was on the side of the case I asked again where is my adapter and shell case for the chamber the lady looked suspect and said I don’t know we don’t shoot the guns before I could even asked if they had used it although I know I wasn’t gonna get the truth they clearly used my gun at that range I’m not upset about it i’ve brought used guns before but I was aware that they were used by owners before me it’s just when you buy a gun at a full price and not the first one to get to use it other than the factory you kind of feel cheated now I only send my guns to dealers that don’t run a gun range

While a gun that looks in good condition and may have been a safe queen may fetch more than a used model with wear, your still saving money in most cases on that safe queen over a new model gun.

So really....your saving money buying lightly used.....and worried about it? If your that worried buy it new from the box. No matter what it will have been test fired from the factory.

Ufired guns are not unfired...they have been test fired from the factory........

I'm guessing talk-to-text app, but damn.
3qi88o.jpg

You can't. Nearly all handguns at least are fired at least a few times at the factory.... and they never clean them.

Some guns like collectors pieces, etc, might not be, but those are a whole other ballgame.

You're worrying too much. Buy it and enjoy it... or don't. I wouldn't stress out over whether it was "brand new" vs "fired a few times".

-Mike
I agree with the good doctor even after 11 long years.

Hakuna Matata

Don’t ever send a gun you brought brand new to a gun range dealer that isn’t carrying that type of firearm cause it won’t only be factory tested anymore trust me it happened to me my tag said new when I ask the guy why was my case open and my adapter and empty shell for The chamber missing he said he had to open it to get the serial number when the serial number was on the side of the case I asked again where is my adapter and shell case for the chamber the lady looked suspect and said I don’t know we don’t shoot the guns before I could even asked if they had used it although I know I wasn’t gonna get the truth they clearly used my gun at that range I’m not upset about it i’ve brought used guns before but I was aware that they were used by owners before me it’s just when you buy a gun at a full price and not the first one to get to use it other than the factory you kind of feel cheated now I only send my guns to dealers that don’t run a gun range
Punctuation is your friend.

Back
Top Bottom