• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to handle stolen LTC???

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Long story short, this afternoon I stopped at a gas station in CT to get some gas and while I was there, someone did a snatch and grab and managed to get my entire wallet. I didn't even notice it happen until later when it popped up as a fraud alert on a credit card. The question I have for the people in here is that my LTC was in my wallet, so I can go tomorrow morning and report it stolen but what happens next? I don't want to get caught carrying a firearm without my license and all of my firearms are totally secure. I assume that as soon as I report it I will be issued a new one? How does all of this work? Lastly, why does all this crap seem to keep happening to me?

Report it to the local PD where the theft occurred ASAP. If they area not local to where you are now, go to the local PD and report it now. You do not want the issuing authority to be able to give you any crap for not promptly reporting the theft.

Take a copy of that report to the department that issued your LTC. Not sure about how it works with a CT LTC, but the issuing PD can request a replacement from the FRB and you should have it within a week.

As to "why", it depends on your religion: http://www.friesian.com/no-shit.htm

Report it to the local PD where the theft occurred ASAP. If they area not local to where you are now, go to the local PD and report it now. You do not want the issuing authority to be able to give you any crap for not promptly reporting the theft.

Take a copy of that report to the department that issued your LTC. Not sure about how it works with a CT LTC, but the issuing PD can request a replacement from the FRB and you should have it within a week.

As to "why", it depends on your religion: http://www.friesian.com/no-shit.htm

I already called both the Chicopee PD and the Bloomfield PD and they told me to come in tomorrow lol. But at least I am on record as having made a contact with them on this. Thank goodness for the credit card companies. I got a fraud alert and that's how I knew it happened, but they did manage to make a few charges on the nike.com online store.

The incident only involves a MA drivers license and MA LTC. God what is it with people these days? A few days ago I was woken up at 4AM in the morning by the Chicopee PD to let me know someone was trying to break into my car :( Thank goodness I have video cameras at my house so I was able to see the creep messing around reaching for door handles to see if there was any way to get into the car. What a freaking world we live in :(

I have video cameras at my house so I was able to see the creep messing around reaching for door handles to see if there was any way to get into the car.
It's too bad you're VetteGirl"MA"... In several other US states those actions would have rewarded the arsehole with a "click-click" racking of a 12-gauge...(and he'd turn around to notice the muzzle pointed directly at his effin chin).

Just sayin'

In addition to what Rob posted, there's no fee or cost for a lost or stolen LTC

Can the cops follow up on the purchases from Nike.com and see where the air jordans are getting delivered to?

wEEUMOx.jpg

Can the cops follow up on the purchases from Nike.com and see where the air jordans are getting delivered to?

Just my my best guess that they didn't but Nike boat shoes.

I can't do anything about the disputed charges until tomorrow where I can go to the bank and get a replacement card. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on where the nike shipment is heading.

I can't do anything about the disputed charges until tomorrow where I can go to the bank and get a replacement card. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on where the nike shipment is heading.
Generally, you won't get any info out of the bank beyond "the charges have been reversed".

Keep your wallet in your pants pocket. I don't know why women are so adverse to this. Pants have pockets for a reason!

Don't get your hopes up

This is accurate, but not because the cops are lazy (dont get me wrong, they may indeed be lazy). Credit card companies (banks), once they see that police report, or realize that it wasnt you purchasing a handful of $500.00 gift cards in Eastern Pennsylvania, will make you whole (financially) very quickly. Once this is done, you cease to be the victim of the crime. I realize how bizarre that sounds, but thats how it goes. Getting info on the bad guys at that point from the PD will be next to impossible, because to them, you have nothing to do with it anymore.

Id love to show you guys the train wreck Im working right now, the victim is a 58 year old disabled woman, my suspect stole close to 30k from her in a 6 month span. People do really suck.

As you found out ,a nice girl with a hot car is a junkie magnet for theft,
they know you have cash and bling.

watch your purse and jacket closely even at a pub,club etc.

a lot of formerly nice looking girls who are strung out make a living lifting your wallet, and anything else ,off you.

Dont let you're guard down ,cause it's a woman close by.

be carefull every time someone is close to you ,at the counter ,crowded bar etc.

Let them know it was stolen. Get a new one..

Any cop can run your info and see you have an LTC so carrying without it is fine imo.

Pretty simple.

Keep your wallet in your pants pocket. I don't know why women are so adverse to this. Pants have pockets for a reason!

Because womens clothing often doesn't even have deep enough pockets to be usable. A lot of it doesn't even have pockets at all.

-Mike

Someone knows where you live and likely have guns. (guns = cash on the Black Market)

~Matt

I would be most concerned about this possibility of the wallet thief or whoever they shared the LTC/DL info with going to your address to steal guns and other valuables at some later point. If you can move, do so, or at least bolster your home security, maybe store your non EDC firearms with a licensed friend.

If you can move, do so, or at least bolster your home security, maybe store your non EDC firearms with a licensed friend.

Over my dead body. The day I abandon my home for fear of a thief is the day I get fitted for a toe tag. Bolstering your home security is a good idea and remain vigilant, but from previous posts I would think the OP is no push over and is ahead of the curve regarding security and situational awareness.

It sucks when stuff like this happens. Hopefully in the big scheme of things, it proves little more than an inconvenience. Hopefully, in the future credit card companies will put security measures in place that make using a stolen card impossible. Then, like iphones, thieves would not bother to steal them.

Over my dead body. The day I abandon my home for fear of a thief is the day I get fitted for a toe tag. Bolstering your home security is a good idea and remain vigilant, but from previous posts I would think the OP is no push over and is ahead of the curve regarding security and situational awareness.

I'm not talking about selling your home, but if renting and the landlord is amenable to early termination, get a new apartment. Digging in and getting into a firefight and shooting dead the home invaders is for the movies.

The probability of a burglary at your address just skyrocketed from "random" to "matter of time."

Last edited:

I think my wife has one pair of pants with functional pockets.[thinking] My wife's "wallet" is for lack of a,better word a,small purse. The cell phone "case" is bigger enough for anything I carry daily in my pockets....!

Last edited:
Long story short, this afternoon I stopped at a gas station in CT to get some gas and while I was there, someone did a snatch and grab and managed to get my entire wallet. I didn't even notice it happen until later when it popped up as a fraud alert on a credit card. The question I have for the people in here is that my LTC was in my wallet, so I can go tomorrow morning and report it stolen but what happens next? I don't want to get caught carrying a firearm without my license and all of my firearms are totally secure. I assume that as soon as I report it I will be issued a new one? How does all of this work? Lastly, why does all this crap seem to keep happening to me?

Why this keeps happening ...well for one the area you happen to be in and going through is probably going through a cycle of heavy drug use. Matter not the social economical area. When the locals need cash for the pills,crack,H or what ever they go creeping. We went through it around here about 8 years ago. Even stealing mail. It's all but stopped so I assume that gen of addicts has either moved on, in jail or dead.
Also all though not always convenient you can have your credit card set up to only ship to one address so if some uses your card it the items will get shipped to that address only.
The police won't tell you just how bad the smash and grab shit is. So don't feel singled out. The job of the thief is to be a thief. They will take advantage anytime they can.

I'm not talking about selling your home, but if renting and the landlord is amenable to early termination, get a new apartment. Digging in and getting into a firefight and shooting dead the home invaders is for the movies.

Oh, Christ on a cracker. You are watching too much bad TV.

And the Emmy for Best Fictional script goes to...How did you come up with firefight? And home invaders? Plural?
OP is a homeowner, I believe,as most folks do not install security cameras at rental properties and most landlords wouldn't allow it, but even if not, you would spend thousands to move, change your address on all of your accounts, as well as your LTC, because someone stole your wallet?
The good news is you will never step on your tail when it is always tucked firmly between your legs. Good Lord.

And what do you do if your home is broken into? Leave the country? I don't think so.

Watch out for identity theft. Make sure you have motion detecting flood lights outside of your house, carry on.

Oh, Christ on a cracker. You are watching too much bad TV.

And the Emmy for Best Fictional script goes to...How did you come up with firefight? And home invaders? Plural?
OP is a homeowner, I believe,as most folks do not install security cameras at rental properties and most landlords wouldn't allow it, but even if not, you would spend thousands to move, change your address on all of your accounts, as well as your LTC, because someone stole your wallet?
The good news is you will never step on your tail when it is always tucked firmly between your legs. Good Lord.

And what do you do if your home is broken into? Leave the country? I don't think so.

Watch out for identity theft. Make sure you have motion detecting flood lights outside of your house, carry on.

Hah, when I was renting in Somerville I came out to my car door cracked open one house down from where I lived with my center console open and clearly searched thorough and my ear plugs and range badge sitting on top of everything. All they took (I think) was half a roll of quarters. If those dipshits couldn't put together that there were guns at the address listed in the registration than they would have been some special kind of brain dead ..... they never did get around to home invading me. I would feel a little sorry if they home invaded the group of 3 young women who moved in after my wife and I left, though I am fairly sure it was addicts from across the street who were just pulling door handles a couple nights a week.

That's funny, so do I. Started doing that after first learning about sliders.

That's crazy, because I started doing the exact same thing for the exact same reason. Also make sure you jiggle the credit card reader before swiping your card, too. They got me with a skimmer at a gas station once. Luckily Capital One was on top of it and shut the card down immediately.

VG, sorry about your wallet. People out there really do suck, and as to the question of to carry or not, IANAL but I think that I would definitely continue to carry especially after this. You're on record as reporting your special permission slip stolen, and the cops can look up your info if they really want to (granted you might be sitting in a jail cell while they do it). Chances are slim that you'll have an encounter where this is going to come up, though. Just be a little extra attentive while driving and it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a "snatch and grab"? Did they break your window or just open the unlocked door?

I always lock my car when getting gas, even when I am standing right next to it while I pump.

^^^^^ This.

Also do NOT put your handbag on the passenger seat. On the floor or behind the driver's seat on the floor makes it less visible and harder to snatch and grab. Locking the car doors makes it very unlikely to be a victim, but don't leave the purse/wallet and go into a gas station, take it with you.

In a case like this you are still licensed and your LTC is still valid. In 40+ years of holding a LTC, I have NEVER been asked for it except in a gun shop/WM so the likelihood of even being asked for it during the week or so until you get the replacement is virtually nil. You would not be illegally carrying. I do not know but MIRCS may well spit out a receipt for the PD processing a stolen report/replacement request . . . if so, that receipt is proof of licensed status and all you would need to carry with you.

Back
Top Bottom