How to handle stolen LTC???

In addition to what Rob posted, there's no fee or cost for a lost or stolen LTC

wEEUMOx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call the guy who stole my wallet a criminal mastermind. He left a paper trail right to his front door. First off, he came back to the store after I left and used one of my credit cards to make low dollar purchases. I was told by the fraud unit at the credit card company that thieves oftentimes do this to make sure that the card is good. Once he knew that, he stupidly used the card to buy a whole bunch of merchandise from Nike and the card was promptly declined and a suspect charge put on the card. I later verified that it was a fraudulent purchase because this mastermind used a second credit card to purchase the same items. The second charge worked, but it was also on a credit card so it was easily to cancel out of. Not only that but I gave the police all the insider info they will need to get the shipping address of the Nike merchandise. Who knows if they follow up on it, but at least I gave them everything. It doesn't matter at this point everything is cancelled and worthless to a thief and I have lifetime identity theft protection courtesy of the federal government.

As far as a thief knowing I have guns here, well I look at it this way. If this thief was dumb enough to use a home address for an illegal purchase then I don't have much to worry about. Chances are he/she couldn't get a ride to the next town over, never mind to a house 50 miles away from they live. Besides I'm the one who is armed here. Plus I have really good security cameras.

You are making a few potentially unwarranted assumptions:

1) The criminal is dumb for ordering a suspiciously large amount of stuff.

Ordering a large amount of stuff as quickly as possible before the card is deactivated is the only way to use a stolen credit card. If he makes just a few, non-suspicious purchases, he will get little for his efforts. Sure, his purchases go through and he hasn't tipped anyone off, but the victim will still quickly discover the wallet to be stolen, report it, and deactivate the cards anyway. (Different story if he stole just one card, or hacked your info. You may not notice, and in that case, keeping his purchases under the radar would be the smart strategy.)

2) The criminal shipped to his home address.

He may have shipped to the building across the street from his apartment, and he will swipe the package off the steps when it gets dropped off. No real address or identity disclosed.

3) You are the one armed here.

Maybe not the only one . . .

I sincerely DO wish you the best outcome here, but I would be more cautious.

Last edited:
As others have said, neither the cops nor the credit card companies seem to give much of a crap about finding the perps in fraudulent charges--it's a write off and budgeted for. A few weeks ago I was checking my statement and found three separate charges to Ticketmaster totaling $1700 for concert tickets to some band called Imagine Dragons (my son says they suck). No one seemed interested in pursuing the perps--just refunded my account.

As others have said, neither the cops nor the credit card companies seem to give much of a crap about finding the perps in fraudulent charges--it's a write off and budgeted for. A few weeks ago I was checking my statement and found three separate charges to Ticketmaster totaling $1700 for concert tickets to some band called Imagine Dragons (my son says they suck). No one seemed interested in pursuing the perps--just refunded my account.

Some 30 years ago I was referred to a guy by my timeshare office manager. He was allegedly running a swap company (small) like Interval International. So I called him and authorized $80 charge. Short time later I see a charge for $1200 allegedly for airline tickets (that I didn't order or ever receive) from him. I called the cc company, gave them all the details including his name and phone number. They reversed the charges but when I asked if they would prosecute they said NO. I immediately cancelled my cc account with them, this would have been a slam-dunk for prosecution. But it does tell you the mindset in the industry. That's why they charge x% to the merchants plus they all (back then) charged an annual fee to keep a cc.

This is true if you work on the premise that you are his only victim. Maybe this is his first time, but likely not. He might even be part of a ring of thieves and not the guy that placed the large order. Using a small charge to check to see if a stolen credit card is a very common trick. The other thing that thieves often do is buy a boatload of gift cards then toss the credit card. Gift cards are pretty much the same as cash.

We had that happen to use with a stolen CC number a few years ago. They stole the number, then bought $1,500.00 worth of gift cards from a dollar store.

It's a good idea giving the information to the police. It's up to them to decide if they want to pursue it.

So here is how this works. They will not give out private information over the phone. But they did give me all the order details other than personal identification and I was told that if the police asked for the name and address they would give it out to law enforcement as part of an investigation. If the cops decide it's worth investigating then it's a done deal. The reality is I am only out a wallet and $25 to replace my drivers license. I wouldn't call that a slam dunk case, probably not even a slight slap on the wrist.

I go to Costco's gas. The attendant walks around and checks those seals every hour. I've seen them do it many times. They take security seriously.
Other stations you won't see any clerks walking out and checking the pumps probably ever.

I don't know Len, for between $50-$250 I bet you could get a Costco clerk to put a sticker on the pump after you installed the skimmer.
And, in reality, there are some skimmers that can be installed right into the slot and very few people would be able to identify them.

-Cuz

Affliction-Mens-Jeans-Denim-Killers-Slim-Boot-Cut-_1.jpg

Not true for the Afflicted...

PS: Dungarees are made for work.

Yeah, I see every woman wearing those in Boston. [thinking]

Of course there is some clothing for women designed for work, just like no matter which country you Google you will find a
pic of a hot woman.

I was referring to daily wear to the office, walking around, going to brunch with friends, taking kids to soccer games...

———————————

OP, the guy grabbed your wallet, took the CC out and threw the rest away. Ordered something quick and threw the CC away.
Nothing is going to happen.

Last edited:
Men's pants are functional.
Women pants are all about style.

Oh, I think women's pants often have a function. That function is sometimes to illicit a response from men. And not all of those responses are positive.

I was at a Shaws supermarket the other day, at the salad bar, grabbing a big salad for lunch. Loaded with spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers.. good stuff, when I got behind this woman that was a 4x4 - 4' tall and 4' wide - wearing turquoise yoga pants. It was like a bad car accident. You know you are going to be sorry, but you just have to look. It looked like someone had stretched about 6" of spandex over 2 huge pumpkins. laying on their side. Trying to avert my gaze as she scooped bacon bits and drowned her salad in ranch dressing, I couldn't help but think, "wow, she put those on and actually thought it looked good"[thinking]. And as she walked away with a 4000 calorie "salad", laden with every unhealthy item on the salad bar, I just knew she was telling people that she can't understand why she was not losing weight because she has been eating salads everyday.
Sorry to derail this thread.

Back
Top Bottom