How to handle stolen LTC???

They got me with a skimmer at a gas station once. Luckily Capital One was on top of it and shut the card down immediately.
There is little protection against the skimmers that go inside the pump. Are you really going to pass on a pump if the little seal looks broken, or are you going to assume the station had some work done on the pump? If there is a seal, do you know how to tell a genuine one from a counterfeit for each brand of gas you use?

There is little protection against the skimmers that go inside the pump. Are you really going to pass on a pump if the little seal looks broken, or are you going to assume the station had some work done on the pump? If there is a seal, do you know how to tell a genuine one from a counterfeit for each brand of gas you use?

I go to Costco's gas. The attendant walks around and checks those seals every hour. I've seen them do it many times. They take security seriously.

Other stations you won't see any clerks walking out and checking the pumps probably ever.

I don't have any advice or answers for you other than to hang in there, learn from each experience, and never let the bad guys beat you down. Jeebus, you've had a bad time lately.

Oh, Christ on a cracker. You are watching too much bad TV.

And the Emmy for Best Fictional script goes to...How did you come up with firefight? And home invaders? Plural?
OP is a homeowner, I believe,as most folks do not install security cameras at rental properties and most landlords wouldn't allow it, but even if not, you would spend thousands to move, change your address on all of your accounts, as well as your LTC, because someone stole your wallet?
The good news is you will never step on your tail when it is always tucked firmly between your legs. Good Lord.

And what do you do if your home is broken into? Leave the country? I don't think so.

Ok, Mr. Toetag.[rolleyes]

If I were renting an apt as a tenant at will, and I had, let's say, 20 guns totalling over $10k in value at risk, and some criminal knew I had one or more guns and knew my address, packing up would suck a bit, but I would move. A couple of address change notices for the LTC is no big deal. Ditto for bills. People do it all the time.

Different level of criminal at work here. The OP had her entire wallet taken by someone who knows how to use information, as demonstrated by the fraudulent charges already appearing. The criminal took the wallet and could take the time to look through it. Once he spots the LTC, it doesn't even take adding 2 + 2 to figure out there are guns at that address for the taking.

The criminal in Boiler-eng's post #27 was just rifling through cars for hard cash. Again, different level of criminal. He wasn't stealing radios, wasn't stealing cars, wasn't stealing info. With fear of detection, he probably didn't have the luxury of taking the time to look at the registration addresss, or read the gun range badge. Ear plugs could be for a lot of things, not just firing guns. Some motorcyclists wear earplugs every time they ride. Or the ear plugs might be for work. Who knows. Whatever, it is just not as obvious as someone's LTC.

I go to Costco's gas. The attendant walks around and checks those seals every hour. I've seen them do it many times. They take security seriously.

Other stations you won't see any clerks walking out and checking the pumps probably ever.
One problem is that locks to vending systems that do not hold cash tend to be keyed alike, and often does not use high security locks.

I use something that defeats skimmers every time. It's a four letter word CASH![wink][smile]

I don't have any advice or answers for you other than to hang in there, learn from each experience, and never let the bad guys beat you down. Jeebus, you've had a bad time lately.

Well I learned from the last incident. That was a serious life lesson. Thank goodness the credit card fraud detection was on top of it, because essentially the thieves ended up with nothing. My drivers license, LTC, credit cards and other assorted items are all being replaced. Total cost out of my pocket was $25 to replace my D/L. The only downside is it takes a while to go through the process but now that I have, I knew exactly what needed to be done upfront to make sure that the incident is properly handled. I feel like a pro now lol.

Can the cops follow up on the purchases from Nike.com and see where the air jordans are getting delivered to?

Just my my best guess that they didn't but Nike boat shoes.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Nice joke man. NO ONE cares. NO ONE.

There is one advantage if the OP moves... It will be harder to steal his identity after the Equifu*ked hack, since they ask your address. Whoever buys the info only has the address that was on file when the hack took place.

As I can't really do much about those, I try not to worry too much about them. I usually just watch for the more obvious outside ones that jiggle off. Anyone who can get inside a gas pump typically can counterfeit some shitty tape anyway. I always use a credit card instead of debit at the gas pump, just in case. Never use debit at the gas pump; you don't have the fraud protection you get with a real credit card.

Keep your wallet in your pants pocket. I don't know why women are so adverse to this. Pants have pockets for a reason!

My wife uses a men's wallet and keeps it in her pants pocket. It isn't easy to find women's clothing with real pockets though.

The PD couldn't care less about stolen credit cards. They have too much else to do.

Bob

This is accurate, but not because the cops are lazy (dont get me wrong, they may indeed be lazy). Credit card companies (banks), once they see that police report, or realize that it wasnt you purchasing a handful of $500.00 gift cards in Eastern Pennsylvania, will make you whole (financially) very quickly. Once this is done, you cease to be the victim of the crime. I realize how bizarre that sounds, but thats how it goes. Getting info on the bad guys at that point from the PD will be next to impossible, because to them, you have nothing to do with it anymore.

Id love to show you guys the train wreck Im working right now, the victim is a 58 year old disabled woman, my suspect stole close to 30k from her in a 6 month span. People do really suck.

Even if you can't get the info, does the PD bother to investigate? Like even though I have no part in it, are they going to do anything about it?

Because womens clothing often doesn't even have deep enough pockets to be usable. A lot of it doesn't even have pockets at all.

-Mike
For the ladies
I finally found good jeans with pockets for women. They're actually boys/men's Levi Signature Skinny
Jeans. They are not a very skinny cut. Real, deep pockets, 100% cotton, no spandex crap. I stole these from my son after they got mixed up in laundry.

Keep your wallet in your pants pocket. I don't know why women are so adverse to this. Pants have pockets for a reason!
The same applies when walking with purses. I would jokingly snatch my sisters bag right off her shoulder just to prove that her valuables aren't secure. Add the fact that most girls are ****ing glued to their phones while walking. Not sure they would notice their shit is gone until they reach to pay for their starbucks mocha latte.

Sorry that all happened to you, people just suck. Hopefully nothing really serious will come about. I'm in agreement with Credit Karma, always alerts me when an account has been opened and of course it's free.

Can the cops follow up on the purchases from Nike.com and see where the air jordans are getting delivered to?

Just my my best guess that they didn't but Nike boat shoes.

My experience.has been literally no one cares or can be bothered to make any effort to track people down. Feds, local PD, Visa, Nike....

If I were renting an apt as a tenant at will, and I had, let's say, 20 guns totalling over $10k in value at risk, and some criminal knew I had one or more guns and knew my address, packing up would suck a bit, but I would move. A couple of address change notices for the LTC is no big deal. Ditto for bills. People do it all the time.

OK - so if someone finds out you have an LTC you are going to move. I suppose that is one approach. And if you owned 20 guns you would likely be part of about 1% of LTC holders. Most own less than 5.
Different level of criminal at work here. The OP had her entire wallet taken by someone who knows how to use information, as demonstrated by the fraudulent charges already appearing.

Yep, criminal mastermind.. Lex Luther.... knows how to use a credit card. My wife must be Al Capone.

The criminal in Boiler-eng's post #27 was just rifling through cars for hard cash. Again, different level of criminal.... Whatever, it is just not as obvious as someone's LTC.

Cool story bro. And the criimal mastermind that grabbed the OP's wallet isn't a drug addict feeding a habit, he is actually the head of an international arms cartel that is going to dress up like a ninja and assault the OP's home because a LTC means there is thousands of dollars worth of firearms at her house. He bought the new Nike's because he wants to look good when he is going on a mission.
What if I just lose my wallet? Should I call the Realtor? Or only if they use my Amex to buy footwear?

OK - so if someone finds out you have an LTC you are going to move. I suppose that is one approach. And if you owned 20 guns you would likely be part of about 1% of LTC holders. Most own less than 5.

Yep, criminal mastermind.. Lex Luther.... knows how to use a credit card. My wife must be Al Capone.

Cool story bro. And the criimal mastermind that grabbed the OP's wallet isn't a drug addict feeding a habit, he is actually the head of an international arms cartel that is going to dress up like a ninja and assault the OP's home because a LTC means there is thousands of dollars worth of firearms at her house. He bought the new Nike's because he wants to look good when he is going on a mission.
What if I just lose my wallet? Should I call the Realtor? Or only if they use my Amex to buy footwear?

Seriously, some of the pants shitting I see on here is laughable. Yes, we have to be careful. I don't talk about guns with my neighbors, but they probably know because of the NRA sticker on my truck. I don't care.

Let's think this through. If you were a junkie house burglar, would you go to the house where the people are armed? A junkie isn't going to case your house for a week to learn your routine and a professional is going to assume you have a gun safe.

People with gun safes usually put most of there valuables inside. I do. I figure since I have a safe anyway, I lock up the few valuable things I have inside.

I wouldn't call the guy who stole my wallet a criminal mastermind. He left a paper trail right to his front door. First off, he came back to the store after I left and used one of my credit cards to make low dollar purchases. I was told by the fraud unit at the credit card company that thieves oftentimes do this to make sure that the card is good. Once he knew that, he stupidly used the card to buy a whole bunch of merchandise from Nike and the card was promptly declined and a suspect charge put on the card. I later verified that it was a fraudulent purchase because this mastermind used a second credit card to purchase the same items. The second charge worked, but it was also on a credit card so it was easily to cancel out of. Not only that but I gave the police all the insider info they will need to get the shipping address of the Nike merchandise. Who knows if they follow up on it, but at least I gave them everything. It doesn't matter at this point everything is cancelled and worthless to a thief and I have lifetime identity theft protection courtesy of the federal government.

As far as a thief knowing I have guns here, well I look at it this way. If this thief was dumb enough to use a home address for an illegal purchase then I don't have much to worry about. Chances are he/she couldn't get a ride to the next town over, never mind to a house 50 miles away from they live. Besides I'm the one who is armed here. Plus I have really good security cameras.

Vet girl,
You may want to call the credit card company again.
And ask that they refer the information as to where the sneakers were shipped/
A long shot I know but worth a short phone call.
You might want to add that you want to pursue criminal charges;
Not overly optimisitic about this.;.but worth a short phone call.
ggboy

Vet girl,
You may want to call the credit card company again.
And ask that they refer the information as to where the sneakers were shipped/
A long shot I know but worth a short phone call.
You might want to add that you want to pursue criminal charges;
Not overly optimisitic about this.;.but worth a short phone call.
ggboy

So here is how this works. They will not give out private information over the phone. But they did give me all the order details other than personal identification and I was told that if the police asked for the name and address they would give it out to law enforcement as part of an investigation. If the cops decide it's worth investigating then it's a done deal. The reality is I am only out a wallet and $25 to replace my drivers license. I wouldn't call that a slam dunk case, probably not even a slight slap on the wrist.

Men's pants are functional.
Women pants are all about style.

Have you ever notices that a guys Jean is meant for work, but women's Jeans are thin and shitty, if they tried to do construction work they would barely last 2 days.

So here is how this works. They will not give out private information over the phone. But they did give me all the order details other than personal identification and I was told that if the police asked for the name and address they would give it out to law enforcement as part of an investigation. If the cops decide it's worth investigating then it's a done deal. The reality is I am only out a wallet and $25 to replace my drivers license. I wouldn't call that a slam dunk case, probably not even a slight slap on the wrist.

Chances are they won't even bother with it. As our resident NES cops have already opined, they're typically just too busy with higher priority things. $25 is pretty cheap for a lesson learned here, though. So even though it was bad, it could have been much, much worse.

I also agree, I doubt he's going to bother coming to try and break in. I would just be extra cautious about locking my doors and make sure the safe was securely bolted down. Though I'm already pretty paranoid about that stuff anyway.

http://www.skintwalletsusa.com/

Using this wallet, I've been able to keep it in my front pocket no problem. This way, I never have to put it in my back pocket or anywhere else. It holds at least 10 cards and 5+ bills no problem. Should be able to slip into women's clothing pockets easily. It's held up well in the 3 years I've had it.

For the ladies
I finally found good jeans with pockets for women. They're actually boys/men's Levi Signature Skinny
Jeans. They are not a very skinny cut. Real, deep pockets, 100% cotton, no spandex crap. I stole these from my son after they got mixed up in laundry.
You know this info will be used against you in Baseless Lies, right? LOL

Back
Top Bottom