How much time do you spend at your FFL as a customer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date

How much time do you spend at your FFL as a customer?

• Just here for a transfer

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • I'm an occasional customer and in the shop once every few months

Votes: 65 49.2%
  • I'm a regular customer and in the shop weekly or monthly

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I'm a daily customer and in the shop multiple days a week

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My FFL and I plan our vacations together and we take long walks on the beach together

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I'm never actually a customer, I'm one of the guys at the gun store whose just "there"

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I am a FFL

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
Being an 03, I technically am an FFL...

My "normal" FFL doesn't really stock anything. $20 transfers, easy in/out.

I'm somewhere between "only for a transfer" and "occasional drop in"

But I have boring needs (ammo, online) and am happy to slowly grow my collection (mostly FTF).

I want to be a more regular customer. I like my (retail) FFL. His prices are relatively reasonable. The problem is I've long had the basic MA collection available everywhere. Nowadays I want things that require creative thinking - not his specialty/stock in trade.

The FFL I handle my "creative thinking" business with, stocks nothing - fill out the forms, shoot the shit, and then I leave and call him again when I have another specific need.

Which government agency do you send all this various poll data too?
Plot twist he's collecting information for the newly minted firearms warranty scammers.

We're calling you about the extended warranty on your firearm...

With the kind of garbage some companies put out some people might actually fall for that shit.

I don't fit in to any category. I haven't been in a gun store to buy or browse in 2 years. I need to reduce, not increase.

another 03 FFL here... so technically....

My FFL and I plan our vacations together and we take long walks on the beach together

I started going to my LGS at the worst of times. All he can keep on the shelves are over priced (it's consignment, hence the over priced) used 40s.

Still checkout and occasionally buy when he has something I want, rather buy from them than some online retailer for a small discount.

Transfers and special orders. I don’t hang out. as they only sometimes have what I’m looking for actually on the shelf. But they know me when I walk in. And I don’t walk in without spending.

My closest FFL is a bit pricey so I don't buy much. But a few of the employees are ex coworkers of mine so I stop in to shoot the shit once in a while.
Occasionally they'll have some 6.5x55 Swedish at normal prices. When they do ill grab a couple.

I don't know if I'm the typical customer or not, but I check about 3-4 different ffl's about once a month.

Usually when I walk in I'm looking for either a good deal or something that really hits me, I'm basically shopping but I know better than to ask for help. 99 times out of 100 there isn't anything sweet available- roster means everyone's guns are the same, and I feel like for rifles we just do the same crap to ourselves- there are very few dealers with good unique inventory around.

But I guess like most of us- I'm not sure I'd consider myself a customer as much as a guest most of the times I walk in- I have no intention of buying anything- I don't need 3-4 guns a month, hell I bearly need 1 a year, I know this doesn't help the FFL at all, but I try.

I'm a surgical shopper, no matter whether I'm at the hardware store, the grocery store, or an LGS: I dart in, look around quickly, decide on the spot, buy what I want, and then vanish. I have no inclination to "shoot the shit" with anyone behind a counter, and honestly I've not been terribly impressed with most of the folks I've talked to back there.

I was recently in a well-known LGS, looking at an AR180 they had on their site. The guy behind the counter had never heard of it, and kept insisting it didn't exist. I scanned the rack and pointed it out at once, and even then he still doubted that was what it was called. I pointed to the model name engraved on the side.

I don't expect these guys to be experts in everything. But I do expect them to know their inventory, especially the inventory they're asking extortionate prices for. Lol.

MA gunshops, for the most part, have all the same new inventory. It doesn't take long before you have purchased, your friends have purchased, or you have tried everything available at an indoor range with rentals available. And if they have something different new, usually, we can't buy it. So after the initial shock of being able to buy something from a dealer wore off, the amount of times I've actually gone into a MA shop over the last ten plus years is about the amount of fingers on one hand. As others have stated, the misinformation, ridiculous MA laws, and the gun shop hanger yahoo's, don't really make it a top priority on my list anymore. Sometimes the experience is equal to walking into a car dealership!

I haven't been to a gun shop since The Minuteman Armory in Templeton closed. I loved that place and their attitude. I've built/assembled every firearm (rifles and pistols) I've acquired since their closure. Polymer80 loves me.

I used to stop at FFLs every week but then it got to the point where everyone has the same inventory and nothing I wanted.

Then I offloaded a bunch of stuff and moved to NH and have been a weekly customer again but now I can buy more cool stuff (suppressors, pistol variants) and online ordering of things no shop carries or sells.

Back
Top Bottom