How much time do you spend at your FFL as a customer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date

How much time do you spend at your FFL as a customer?

• Just here for a transfer

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • I'm an occasional customer and in the shop once every few months

Votes: 65 49.2%
  • I'm a regular customer and in the shop weekly or monthly

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I'm a daily customer and in the shop multiple days a week

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My FFL and I plan our vacations together and we take long walks on the beach together

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I'm never actually a customer, I'm one of the guys at the gun store whose just "there"

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I am a FFL

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
I really want to support the LGSes. I want them to succeed. However, thanks to lovely neighbors I’m certain there will never be a store terribly close to home, so it’s always a drive.

I also think like a free state resident. What I want and what a garden variety risk averse FFL can transfer me are almost two totally separate categories. The only exceptions are C&R guns or pre-import ban rifles, but how often am I making $3000 purchases on a single item?

So if I’m going to drive, I might as well go to a parking lot and get exactly what I want privately. Sure, there are exceptional FFLs but they’re also a ways away. And after Baker went out of his way to shutter gun dealers and I had to drive *even further* to patronize the patriotic FFLs who weren’t complying, I decided to become an 03 to ensure the state couldn’t prevent me from acquiring guns. Plus, since I got some weird guns it’s become a bit of a hobby to find online sellers of preban mags and ammunition who will ship to me. Because it’s not like the LGS has obscure ammo or mags anyway. I can easily fill my limited gun storage space with things that UPS will drop at my door.

Now I’m spoiled, and going to a gun shop to overpay for ten round magazines and 22lr doesn’t sound fun. Hell, I don’t even have ten round mags for some of the guns by choice. Now when I’m in the neighborhood of the LGS I often just drive by - what’s the point of going in?

Last edited:
There are very few FFL's in my area of NW Central MA. There are like 3 including the Gunparlor, which i will not go to.....so that makes 2 that have shops I will go and take a look For them most part, they don't carry what I usually want, so its a transfer situation. I will not deal with those shops on a transfer because they are difficult. And in the last year are overly gouging on ammo as well, like 50-60 dollars a box of 9mm, they still have on the shelves for that price Im sure. Do I need to keep those shops in business, honestly, no......because in the grand scheme of things, I haven't ever bought much from them. If they had a gun that was old or hard to get I would certainly pay the extra 50-100 dollars for it. Truth is, its a very rare situation.

I end up buying most long guns from either larger shops out of state, or transfers. Pistols, almost 100% are transferred in as well. Some are bought on NES FTF transfer....so no need for FFL.

There are 2-3 small shops in Central MA that specialize in transfers. They don't bitch about it, they don't charge a lot for a transfer, and its a simple process. So I do business there.

Honestly, I just stumbled upon a guy very close to me, that is very easy to deal with and I will likely keep all my new business with him from now on. If he charged me a little more for ammo I would buy it, because in the long run, he will save me money from jumping thru hoops for other stuff.

I used to stop at FFLs every week but then it got to the point where everyone has the same inventory and nothing I wanted.

Then I offloaded a bunch of stuff and moved to NH and have been a weekly customer again but now I can buy more cool stuff (suppressors, pistol variants) and online ordering of things no shop carries or sells.
This is where I am at. A few have some cooler stuff, but rarely something I want, so I started buying online and doing transfers.

My latest was a Buck Mark. No one around here has one so I had to buy online. Seems to be the same with a Victory 22 and the 22/45.

I am not talking sh*t, some of these guys have been in business for years, they know what sells, so go for it.

I refuse to buy from Bass Pro or Cabelas. I would rather give the transfer money to a local shop.

closest FFL's to me are Northeast Traders, Gartman, Bass Pro, a couple in RI (Competition Shooting, and Lost Treasures)

NET = need I say more?
Gartman = decent gun selection, nothing really for ammo and/or accessories.
Bass Pro = it is what it is.. and I have a shit ton of points saved up. Next freebie will prob be a Savage XP 2 with points..
Comp/LT = RI.. I just don't head that way too often.

Back
Top Bottom