How much extra are you willing to spend to do business with a local shop?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I find myself in need of a good amount of accessies for a rifle that I'm building out. As I price out what I need, I've gone to a few local gun shops for pricing and also have done some searches online. Overall I can save close to $150 by going with someone online even after taking into account the shipping.

I'm all for supporting the locals as it's the only way to make sure these local gun stores stick around. But, $150 to me is way to much to pay in order to keep the business local. I know it's not really the local gun shops fault as they need to make a profit to stay in business. Also, for a number of things they can't compete with the high volume discounts the online guys get from their distrubutors. It's to bad, but I'm going online to buy.

So how much extra are you willing to spend to keep your gun and accessories purchase local?

When I got a deal online I approached my dealer and told them. They said they would match it. With this much money involved I'd ask them as well. I'm all for keeping local shops open, but putting food on my table is my first priority.

I prefer to use local dealers, but can't always justify it. Several have whined about how little profit they make, only to catch them in the lie when I see what they are actually buying the gun for. The worst is purchasing used firearms, many in MA make rediculous markups on them. However, this is our situation since so many dealers went under in the 1990s.

If you're talking about a particular item or build then to me it would depend on how much info and/or insights the local guy has given me.
If you're speaking in more general terms then I think you have to try and contribute to the local guy's busines but I also think you have to be smart about it. In a perfect world we are paying a little extra for the convenience and knowledge we can get at a local shop. In reality I think there are times when we just need to suck it up and pay the local guy a little extra to keep him around.

I prefer to use local dealers, but can't always justify it. Several have whined about how little profit they make, only to catch them in the lie when I see what they are actually buying the gun for. The worst is purchasing used firearms, many in MA make rediculous markups on them. However, this is our situation since so many dealers went under in the 1990s.

In the above you are referring to gross margins and not profits. You need to factor in ALL of the costs associated with a given item before you can even come close to figuring out whether or not the dealer is profitting. He might buy a gun for $100 but he also has shipping costs, carry costs, labor, rent, electric, insurance, taxes etc etc.

Last edited:
If the difference between online and local is big enough that I'm leaning toward the online purchase, I usually try to approach the local shop and see if they can cut me a deal. If they can make me a reasonable offer I'll try to give them the business.

If you're talking about a particular item or build then to me it would depend on how much info and/or insights the local guy has given me.
If you're speaking in more general terms then I think you have to try and contribute to the local guy's busines but I also think you have to be smart about it. In a perfect world we are paying a little extra for the convenience and knowledge we can get at a local shop. In reality I think there are times when we just need to suck it up and pay the local guy a little extra to keep him around.

I'm fine with that...as long as we're talking maybe 5% or so. After that, I'm going for the deal

The local dealer still needs to earn my business. How much business they earn depends on the dealer. I'll gladly spend an extra $20 to avoid buying from an a**h***.

I'm not willing to spend much more over what I can find online personally. I need to stretch every dollar as far as I can. Just because a local shop gives you service with a smile is not reason enough for me to justify paying X% more than what I can find things online for. I would much prefer to give a local shop the business rather than send my funds out of state butI just can't justify it. Maybe if I had large amounts of disposable income I would but that is not the case.

The worst is purchasing used firearms, many in MA make rediculous markups on them. However, this is our situation since so many dealers went under in the 1990s.

I don't begrudge any shop any money they make on a used gun. If the seller chose to sell it for a certain price, and the buyer is willing to pay a certain price, then the shop is entitled to make whatever they can on it.

With that said, I'm willing to go about 10% over online to buy at my favorite shop.

Well, Four Seasons is an example of someplace it is worth spending the extra money. Carl is always very helpful and willing to spend the time, even when he is super swamped. I've gone to Northshore Firearms and they're all gruff, don't like answering questions, and you don't even get "service with a smile". I won't be giving them my business anymore.

I don't begrudge any shop any money they make on a used gun. If the seller chose to sell it for a certain price, and the buyer is willing to pay a certain price, then the shop is entitled to make whatever they can on it.

With that said, I'm willing to go about 10% over online to buy at my favorite shop.

I understand that Eddie, I'm not talked about consignment. I'm talking about places that outright buy the gun and then put a rediculous markup on it. Carl at FS has always been great on consignment and willing to negotiate with the seller for me.

Depends on the cost and the savings. If I'm spending $1k or more and we are looking at a $150 dollar difference then I'd go local. I really like the local guys and not have to deal with shipping is huge for me. Don't want any of it sitting on my porch , can't have it shipped to work and don't want to use my lunch breaks to grab packages from the post office.

I guess it depends on what I'm looking for. If we are talking $10-20 difference then I'll go to the local shop, anything more I'll shop online.

I understand that Eddie, I'm not talked about consignment. I'm talking about places that outright buy the gun and then put a rediculous markup on it. Carl at FS has always been great on consignment and willing to negotiate with the seller for me.

Uhh, there's this little thing called capitalism.... They can only charge the "bad" prices because there is an endless stream of people willing to pay them.

-Mike

I would give the local guys a shot, let them make the decision with a fair offer. If they can't/won't budge then it's time to choose.

Time/convenience/service vs price. Weigh to that what if something happens during shipping and it's a need have item.

I am willing to pay more at a local dealer, how much more depends on many things.

To answer the question.....

-Depends on what it is, and how much money I can save. On guns you have to add in the cost of transfer + tax, if applicable, to make a value proposition. Usually if the local is within $25-50 on a gun (tax included) I'll just use the local dealer. If not, it's off to a couple of places in NH I use, or gunbroker. I always try to give the locals a chance... doesn't always pan out,
though. The tax is becoming a real killer. For every $1000 you spend in MA $62.50 goes to the state- if you buy a rifle that costs a grand, that $62.50 more than covers the cost of
shipping and transfer. (And some remote dealers even do free shipping to your FFL via USPS, so that nulls that out. )

Holsters, parts, accessories, crap like that... I get most of that online simply because most of the gun shops don't have the selection. For example, out of 10 gun stores you might only find one that sells AR components. Ammo I buy from some gun shops (for defense ammo) and walmart for the other stuff, although at this point I don't need to visit them very often because I make my own...

-Mike

Last edited:
I can only speak from the perch of an old electronics retailer,

I never could make much margin on sinlge large ticket purchace such as the Camera SLR Body itself. Every swinging monkey has the major hardgoods on sale for single piece dealer cost all the time (cabelas/dicks fliers abound). BUT if the customer was looking for a whole package, I definitly had room to move on the accesories. When you gave me a whole package to distribute the various discounts over, the total prices was usually alot more reasonable.

That said you have to handle your money your way..

I'd prolly spend10% more at a local shop. It really depends on how badly I want said item. No matter what, I want to send as much money to local shops as possible. And as of right now, all my money HAS gone to either Collectors Gallery, or Four Seasons.
Service is a huge part of the equation

Uhh, there's this little thing called capitalism.... They can only charge the "bad" prices because there is an endless stream of people willing to pay them.

-Mike

Yes, I understand that....which is why I don't buy from them. Eventually people will catch on and these guys will be out of business.

I understand that Eddie, I'm not talked about consignment. I'm talking about places that outright buy the gun and then put a ri]diculous markup on it. Carl at FS has always been great on consignment and willing to negotiate with the seller for me.

I'm not talking about consignment either. Why shouldn't the shop buy it for as little as they can and sell it for as much? Nobody at either end is forced into the transaction.

I'm not talking about consignment either. Why shouldn't the shop buy it for as little as they can and sell it for as much? Nobody at either end is forced into the transaction.

It's more the lying about it. Telling me when I'm buying they have very little margin (one claimed like $30 per gun). When I am selling I can see their margin was like $200 - $300. Charge what you want, just don't lie to me about it.

It really depends if I am using the services of the shop as part of the buying process. If I know what I want, and don't need to go look at it at a shop, I will make my decision based on whatever total package (time + transportation cost or shipping + speed of delivery if necessary + convenience) is better for me. If I need the services of a shop (for example, to see the stuff before I buy it), I'll tend to pay the local store prices since all the "big items" are ones I already know where to get at the best deal.

The fact that they don't proves you wrong.

Well, time will tell if I am wrong. Hopefully as prices calm a bit these guys will shake out. It's like the crappy builders who profited during the boom, but are now bankrupt because their reputations caught up with them and there are so many willing to work. I always try to believe that karma is a bitch and people reap what they sew in the end.

The established stores will stay in business. There are so few places around anymore to supply the demand. Parts you can buy online but if your talking guns, especially hand guns, ammo, sometimes you just have to go there.

Well, time will tell if I am wrong. Hopefully as prices calm a bit these guys will shake out. It's like the crappy builders who profited during the boom, but are now bankrupt because their reputations caught up with them and there are so many willing to work. I always try to believe that karma is a bitch and people reap what they sew in the end.

I thought we were talking about buying used guns at a local shop.

It's all about value to me. If I am looking for ammo, then I get it where I find it cheap. The value is the low price. Now if I am looking for a gun, I'd likely go to a local shop over a larger store like Bass Pro or Dicks. The value to me here is the local shops near me know what they are talking about. They know their product, and are helpful in making my purchasing choice. I'm willing to pay more for that. For general gear, it's whoever has it in stock, and at the best overall cost.

I try to support the local "Mom & Pop" stores whenever possible.
If some phenomenal deal presents itself on-line or mail order and its within my means ,I'll grab it.
There is always the "Buying Blind",shipping,no return policies and paypal issues which can be deterents for some.
Your gun shop should be like going to the same dentist or mechanic for decades,you develop a business bond.
Local merchants want your repeat business,and typically once you develop some report, a business relationship develops.
Personal service,trust,reputation and genuine concern for the second amendment is something I'll spend alittle more money on.

...once you spend enough over a period of years,discounts may appear,ya nevah know...

Back
Top Bottom