How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

New Applicant for LTC-A in Chelsmford

April 2nd- Drop off Application and letter of Recommendation
April 15th- Got my prints taken and handed in my payment
May 8th- Check cashed by Chelmsford PD
May 20th- Waiting

Has anyone applied recently in Chelmsford?? I was told by the licensing officer that the backlog is running about 3 months, which I have also heard from a few other people.....Hopefully it moves a bit quicker than that.

New Applicant for LTC-A in Chelsmford

April 2nd- Drop off Application and letter of Recommendation
April 15th- Got my prints taken and handed in my payment
May 8th- Check cashed by Chelmsford PD
May 20th- Waiting

Has anyone applied recently in Chelmsford?? I was told by the licensing officer that the backlog is running about 3 months, which I have also heard from a few other people.....Hopefully it moves a bit quicker than that.

My renewal went in on April 1st. Appointment was on 4/29
Still waiting.

UPDATE 5/21 - Called today to check on the status of my application and it is still under review at the local PD. :thumbdown:

UPDATE 6/5 - Pending review by CPD :thumbdown:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Newburyport, Ma

3/20/13-Called for Appointment 8am
3/20/13-Interviewed, Fingerprinted,
Application submitted 6pm
4/17/13-Called FRB. Still awaiting local
PD approval

Super easy process, and excellent to deal with.

I had a Fid from another town so I was already in the system.

I Will keep everyone updated.

Called on Friday 5/17/13 It was still pending review from local pd.

Will be 8 weeks waiting for approval on Friday. Gonna call and check the status then, but i feel like it wont get anywhere for another 2 or 3 weeks. I feel like it will take around 3 months to get it from looking at how long people have waited on here, so it looks like late June. I really dont mind though becasue iv been researching guns im interested in and have saved up 700 for my first gun and accessories

Medford, MA
4/16 Dropped off paperwork, finger printed, picture taken, finger scanned

Was told things were taking about 3 months on average so I'm not going to bother checking till mid July.

Medford, MA
4/16 Dropped off paperwork, finger printed, picture taken, finger scanned

Was told things were taking about 3 months on average so I'm not going to bother checking till mid July.

The way things are looking, 3 months may be a conservative estimate. I applied in Medford on 3/15 and was told 3 months. I am coming up on 10 weeks and am still pending with Medford PD waiting for AFIS from the State Police. With the estimated time for FRB to print and return to Medford PD for activation, if it went to FRB this week it still wouldn't be back before 12 weeks.

We you able to make a compelling case for unrestricted in your reason for issuance or are you just rolling the dice?'

I also see that Medford has ended the practice of holding walk-in hours since I applied and now require applicants to call for an appointment.

Stoughton, MA

interview, prints, and paperwork on 3/6

tomorrow marks week 11. Did notice that my check just went through, so im hoping it arrives this week. Have not called, was told originally that it would take roughly 10 weeks. Ill update when it arrives.

I was a new applicant in Grafton, MA. I applied Dec 20, 2012. I finally picked it up on April 12th, 2013. I had called my local PD about 10 weeks in, then 14 weeks in (when I was notified it was approved, but they were just waiting to see it show up). Finally showed up a week or two after that.

This was for an LTC-A.

The way things are looking, 3 months may be a conservative estimate. I applied in Medford on 3/15 and was told 3 months. I am coming up on 10 weeks and am still pending with Medford PD waiting for AFIS from the State Police. With the estimated time for FRB to print and return to Medford PD for activation, if it went to FRB this week it still wouldn't be back before 12 weeks.

We you able to make a compelling case for unrestricted in your reason for issuance or are you just rolling the dice?'

I also see that Medford has ended the practice of holding walk-in hours since I applied and now require applicants to call for an appointment.

I wrote a letter using some keywords I gathered from here, and other websites, plus spelt out I'm prior military. The licensing offer didn't seem to think it would be all that difficult but who knows.

They still have the walk in hours listed on the website. I just went down and applied during them no appointment.

I wrote a letter using some keywords I gathered from here, and other websites, plus spelt out I'm prior military. The licensing offer didn't seem to think it would be all that difficult but who knows.

They still have the walk in hours listed on the website. I just went down and applied during them no appointment.

I hope it works out for you. I've seen some stories here of folks getting unrestricted in Medford. It's not the norm as I understand the Chief likes to keep down the number of unrestricted going out the door but it does happen. I also went in with what I think was a strong case so hoping for the best.

I was curious about the appointment as the last time I looked at their website it specifically mentioned that appointments were now required.

2/6 appointment
Entered into system 2/7
Called FRB and learned it was approved and being printed on 5/16
FRB stated I should have it in my hands by the 31st.
Pittsfield

I hope it works out for you. I've seen some stories here of folks getting unrestricted in Medford. It's not the norm as I understand the Chief likes to keep down the number of unrestricted going out the door but it does happen. I also went in with what I think was a strong case so hoping for the best.

I was curious about the appointment as the last time I looked at their website it specifically mentioned that appointments were now required.

Ya, it was a tough case to frame out on paper without sounding like a xenophobic loon. I live in an ever increasing not so nice neighborhood (vandalism, car break-ins). I figure it's only a matter of time before houses are next. Given most of the houses in my hood are made from paper mache it seems like the time is right to be more proactive. That being said, I'm doubting the MPD to be all that sympathetic.

Ashland, MA

Status
2/15/2013 – Interview, prints and application – Day 0
3/07/2013 – Check cashed – Day 20
3/29/2013 – Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 42
4/10/2013 – Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 54
4/10/2013 – Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 74

At this point I am really beginning to wonder.... I will stop by the APD and see what they say.
Up until now, each time I ask..." it's the State..."

Waiting....

5/8/2013 Update - stopped in at APD, as always Officers were great and were helpful. They checked it and re-submitted my app. Apparently seems to be a problem at State level.

5/13/2013 Update:

3/29/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 42
4/10/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 54
4/30/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 74
5/8/2013 – Checked with APD – LO states problem with submission to state, will resubmit – Day 83
5/13/2013 – FRB: Approval received from APD on 5/10/2013, waiting on Activation by FRB – Day 88

Could someone clarify what "Waiting on Activation" means...and how long should I expect from this point to receiving my LTC? Thanks!

5/23/2013 Update:

3/29/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 42
4/10/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 54
4/30/2013 – FRB: Still with APD pending background investigation – Day 74
5/8/2013 – Checked with APD – LO states problem with submission to state, will resubmit – Day 83
5/13/2013 – FRB: Approval received from APD on 5/10/2013, waiting on Activation by FRB – Day 88
5/22/2013 - APD called "LTC is ready, come pick it up" - Day 96
5/23/2013 - LTC in hand, APD made sure I had a PIN# and everything!! - Day 97

LTC-A restrictions = None !!

96 days in total (97 in my hand...)

Long time, but I must point out the Ashland PD were polite, helpful & professional throughout this whole process. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Now comes the fun part...trying to find ammo & decently priced firearms!

Here's my experience:

1/28 - Took safety course
3/7 - Doctors note and other cursory bs acquired and emailed for an appointment
3/8 - Received appointment for 3/13
3/13 - Applied
5/6 - Called FRB for status update, pending local PD approval, emailed local PD for status
5/8 - Local PD replied waiting on fingerprint check from state police
5/23 - Called FRB for status again - they said approved and printed on 5/21
5/24 - Received voice mail from local PD, LTC ready to pick up
5/25 - LTC-A Target & Hunting in hand

Time from application to receipt 73 days

Last edited:
Renewals of LTC and Green Card in Acton. Feb 25: App't time: 20 min. ( the time it took me to drive to the station). Was sent off via MIRCS within the next half hour. Rec'd in mail May 23. About 3 months. The delay was at the state level. Jack.

Hush your a dink LOL...Call 1-800- search-this. Ha Ha Bill. If your looking for a method to the madness good luck. The system would be trashed in the private sector as you know. I sure would not pay for service this sucky unless I had to!!! Worst part is feeling like they were doing you/me a favor and had to crawl prostrate across the floor for an audience with a LO less than half my age. Would have kissed his ass in public if I had to.
What I find stunning is that anyone had their references contacted. I think you would chose references that would give you a good one.

Long time lurker, first time poster

This was my experience in Braintree:

3/05 - Scheduled appointment with LO for 3/6
3/06 - Application, interview, prints and payment (cash only)
4/3- 5/22- Weekly calls to FRB
5/23 - Received call from LO to pick up license
5/24 - LTC-A, Restrictions: None

LTC-hotline.jpg

methuen update: not cool...

2/15 call to setup appointment- arranged mar 16th
5/24 call frb- still pending review by local pd... not even submitted to frb.

Sandwich

1/18-called for appointment
2/23-appt w LO(fingerprints/photo)
5/8-called FRB status pending local pd
5/16-called again status approved(said I should see me card in 2 weeks)
5/24-called and said it was mailed to pd yesterday!

so hopefully I should see it early to mid next week!

... Worst part is feeling like they were doing you/me a favor and had to crawl prostrate across the floor for an audience with a LO less than half my age. Would have kissed his ass in public if I had to.
What I find stunning is that anyone had their references contacted. I think you would chose references that would give you a good one.

Yeah I didn't appreciate the feeling that you are lucky to be granted the chance to apply for a license. Never mind the hoops you have to jump through.

The interesting thing is that my references were never called here. Since I'm in the process of moving I've applied for a concealed carry permit in NH and all of my references have already been called and it's only been a week !!!

Uxbridge PD was great. Called for an appointment on a Tuesday. Went in on the following Saturday, which was on 3/10. They told me it would take about 60 days. Got the call that my class A LTC was waiting for me yesterday 5/24. Picked it up today. This was a renewal.

Back
Top Bottom