How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

This member is right on. this is solid information. why do some get processed there quicker then others? nobody has the answer. my wife and i applied jan 16th. hers is new and mine a renewal. she has had hers a month and mine was mailed to my pd on may 2nd. i have been in contact with 2 issuing officers and the chief. the chief and i have mutual friends and the hold up is with getting prints*back. sometimes a department will hold things up but i have learned that mine does not. regardless of what someone here says in a lot of cases it is waiting afis!

Just to re-clarify...when FRB tells you its still "pending review" it doesnt mean that all the checks are done and the PD is sitting on it. There is a serious problem right now with the AFIS checks, some reporting that alone is taking up to 12 weeks. I still have some I am waiting on since Feb 12th!!! The "State" handles those, so draw your own conclusions to who is at fault for the delays. My problem is that the FRB line seems to be put in place so they can blame the PD's and nobody thinks twice about it.

I cant tell you why some are getting them and some arent. The only thing I CAN tell you is that it is AFIS. I have new applicants that I have been waiting on since 2/15. One of them includes a wife that came in with her husband and they applied the same day. He already has his in hand and I dont have her print check back yet. There are some serious flaws going on and I had a guy call this morning that is in the 2/15 batch looking for a status. Now this gets even better, FRB told him that the license is sitting at the PD waiting to be issued!! I cant make this stuff up! After I offered him the opportunity to come rifle through my desk, he called the State Police HQ for an update and they hung up on him. Draw your own conclusions.....

What's interesting is that on the back of my wife's card it says "No Prints Use PIN."

That has nothing to do with anything except for the print that goes on the card. Its just a picture that is taken when you use the print reader at the station when you are doing the app. What that means is they were unable to obtain a print so when she purchases a gun, they will need her pin because there is no print to compare it to in the system. Has nothing to do with the actual AFIS check.

That has nothing to do with anything except for the print that goes on the card. Its just a picture that is taken when you use the print reader at the station when you are doing the app. What that means is they were unable to obtain a print so when she purchases a gun, they will need her pin because there is no print to compare it to in the system. Has nothing to do with the actual AFIS check.

Good to know...but she said they did take her index finger on the print too; i guess it didn't take.

Application and prints Feb 20 issued April 27 in hand LTC A no restrictions May 7, I would have posted this last night but I was busy shoping !!

Last edited:
Application and prints done on 2-16. Finally picked up at the police station last night. 5-7. I understand the hold up was with prints. Mine should have been an easy renewal but nothing is easy in this state.

13 long weeks here in Marshfield and I have been stewing in my own juice for the last 8 of them. I think there are delays on both ends of a convoluted process. No one is accountable so who do you complain to?
I did a lot of whining while I waited but you won't here any complaints from me now that my unrestricted license is is hand. That may be part of the problem in that once we personally run the gauntlet were not as concerned about those in line behind us?

My license says " No print use PIN " on it as well.

Andover

1/7/13 - turned in application
1/28/13 - photographed and printed
3/25/13 - pending review

So much fun....

1/7/13 - turned in application
1/28/13 - photgraped and printed
4/24/13 - approved by local PD sent to FRB
5/6/13 - Activated and issued by FRB - awaiting call from local PD

In week 14

Andover, MA

WPDC13, thank you for chiming in. It's comforting to know that it isn't just private citizens getting frustrated. I'm still impatient and dissatisfied with the system but it helps; I realize the local pd is at the state's mercy too. (and they in turn are stuck with the law as it's written)

Last edited:
13 long weeks here in Marshfield and I have been stewing in my own juice for the last 8 of them. I think there are delays on both ends of a convoluted process. No one is accountable so who do you complain to?
I did a lot of whining while I waited but you won't here any complaints from me now that my unrestricted license is is hand. That may be part of the problem in that once we personally run the gauntlet were not as concerned about those in line behind us?

My license says " No print use PIN " on it as well.

I have made a promise to myself NOT to fall into this. I will NOT forget this. I consider the delay for an appointment as having great potential for extreme abuse. At what point is the second amendment worthless? Let us say you are an old man and have to wait 4 years for an appointment with the local PD just to file the application for the LTC? If you die of old age before the four year wait is over, were you denied your second amendment rights? I think you were! Worse, if you are a victim of a crime before the wait for the appointment to apply is over it is a pure nightmare of injustice. I suspect there will eventually be a court case over this denial method used against law abiding citizens to rob them of their second amendment rights.

I have been tracking the guys I had hooked up for a class I did on Jan 5th this year: (time to get licence in hand)

Sturbridge = 4 weeks after interview
Stoughton = 6 weeks after interview
Foxboro = 4 pluss months (check cashed) no scheduled interview yet and no one will answer any questions at PD
Oxford = its been 6 weeks since interview, no licence yet

That is an absolute disgrace.

Yup, he is pretty pissed but doesnt want to make waves fearing it will make it worse! The chief already said in Foxboro you will only get a class B until you can prove with shooting records and documentation that you have experience in handling firearms. I have been saving my old targets for him, at least the good ones.[thinking]

Had my interview today, waited 3 months for it, was all of 15 min with no questions asked, just took the info off my written app and plugged it into the computer, picture and prints and it was done.

They told me I should see my LTC at the end of July ~

Plymouth, MA

Andover, MA

1/28/13 - photgraped and printed
4/24/13 - approved by local PD sent to FRB
5/6/13 - Activated and issued by FRB - awaiting call from local PD
5/9/13 - picked up LTC-A unrestricted

14 weeks and 3 days
101 days

UPDATE!!!!! I JUST got a call from my PD. Just picked up my LTC-A no restrictions in Whitman. Almost 14 weeks in.

Applied: Feb 5th
License Printed and Sent out: April 25th
Picked up: May 10th.

I'm coming past the 6 week mark on Monday it'll be 7....good time to call the local PD? I understand the wait times and back ups but I want to hear what the PD has to say.....FRB said for the past two weeks just waiting on PD. I already went through the background checks. I live in a green town too and the licensing officer is actually a really nice and professional guy, so I would put my money it's the state's fault

Last edited:
Just in case there might be some policy makers reading this thread, I wanted to bring to light the economic costs that will inevitably reach the Commonwealth. One of the selling points competing states have regards regulation (TX created more employment than all the other states in the union combined in the past 10 years). Why would the Commonwealth promote policies that drive away security sensitive developers of new and valuable technologies? Those are apparently the very technologies/companies the governor and beacon hill claim to want to attract!

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/207630-economic-costs-your-town-inefficient-ltc-application-process.html

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/WP-Tough-Targets.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom