How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Haverhill, MA

2/28/13-Interview, app submitted and prints taken.
4/3/13-Approved by LO.
4/18/13-Activated by FRB, told that it was sent out following week.
5/2/13-Called LO and he told me that they havent received amd status in the terminal says its in queue to be printed.

Thankfully, poor Det. Corthell has been patient with me and the 1000 other people applying. I have decided to stop calling DCJIS and LO because everything has been approved. I am just dying to go shopping and everytime I see an awesome deal on NES classified, I have to sit on my hands to avoid PM negotiations. This is painful... I blame the State 100% but also the mass rush to get licensed obviously.

So I called the LO last week on Thursday asking if there was an update. Was told me along with 19 other people were in a packet that never got to the station. LO said he called FRB and was getting replacements sent. Be about a week.

Literally 5 hours later, I got a call it pick it up. It must have just came in. No bullshit either because I was the second person of those 19 who picked it up. 84 days baby, frok interview to pick up. Wouldve been only 60 something had my packrt come in with the other 2. Oh well.... shopping time!!!

re: methuen: what to do next? call them to ask why they haven't submitted any applications? walk in and ask?

I called the PD once and the licensing officer wasn't there for me, so I'm just gonna call later this week or just wait it out. Remember these are your rights and you are the taxpayer, so technically we are in charge. I would do whatever you need to do to find out if something is wrong

presenting with this attitude isn't going to get you anywhere when dealing with ANY town/city department

Well yeah I wouldn't actually tell the PD that, I don't think it's their fault but we do pay taxes.

I called the FRB today and it is active and printed just waiting to be shipped to the local PD.

Last edited:
Update: Boston

3/15 - Application, prints, photo submitted
3/20 - Passed Moon Island Test
4/24 - Called FRB - Still at BPD
5/3 - Called FRB - Still at BPD
5/13 -
Called FRB - Still at BPD

8 Weeks so far and no progress.

- - - Updated - - -

5/28 - Still under review at BPD

10.5 weeks and still not submitted to the FRB.

New Applicant for LTC-A in Chelsmford

April 2nd- Drop off Application and letter of Recommendation
April 15th- Got my prints taken and handed in my payment
May 8th- Check cashed by Chelmsford PD
May 20th- Waiting

Has anyone applied recently in Chelmsford?? I was told by the licensing officer that the backlog is running about 3 months, which I have also heard from a few other people.....Hopefully it moves a bit quicker than that.

May 28th: I called the FRB just now and was told that my application is pending on my background check? I am not entirely sure what that means...still at the local pd, already sent in to the state police?

I am in a total of 6 weeks today, and seeing what i'm reading....i'm going to expect much, much longer.

May 28th: I called the FRB just now and was told that my application is pending on my background check? I am not entirely sure what that means...still at the local pd, already sent in to the state police?

I am in a total of 6 weeks today, and seeing what i'm reading....i'm going to expect much, much longer.
It probably means that your PD is waiting for your prints to come back from MSP, that's what is taking the longest right now

You are looking at as much as 3 months from 4/15 if that is when you had your appointment. So at worst I would think you have another 6 weeks to wait. I am in the same boat for my renewal. So I know, it sucks. But look on the bright side, Chelmsford might take a while but the odds of getting slapped with a restricted license seem pretty low. :) Use the time to research what you want, save some money, look into clubs to shoot (maybe even get your application in), maybe buy a safe so you are ready once the license comes in.

You are looking at as much as 3 months from 4/15 if that is when you had your appointment. So at worst I would think you have another 6 weeks to wait. I am in the same boat for my renewal. So I know, it sucks. But look on the bright side, Chelmsford might take a while but the odds of getting slapped with a restricted license seem pretty low. :) Use the time to research what you want, save some money, look into clubs to shoot (maybe even get your application in), maybe buy a safe so you are ready once the license comes in.

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I can't say that I am surprised. Thankfully I've already picked up a stackon safe and have my eyes set on a 1911 and Mosin Nagant to get me started once it arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I can't say that I am surprised. Thankfully I've already picked up a stackon safe and have my eyes set on a 1911 and Mosin Nagant to get me started once it arrives.

Update:

Lowell: Safety course 1/13/13, Interview and prints done 3/6/13, called FRB 5/17/13 at that point told it would be about another 3 weeks, Received today 5/29/13- LTC-A restrictions: Sporting/Employment

From the day I did my app & prints counting weekends was 84 days.

Last edited:
Newburyport, Ma

3/20/13-Called for Appointment 8am
3/20/13-Interviewed, Fingerprinted,
Application submitted 6pm
4/17/13-Called FRB. Still awaiting local
PD approval
5/17/13-Called FRB. Still awaiting local pd approval

Super easy process, and excellent to deal with.

I had a Fid from another town so I was already in the system.

I Will keep everyone updated.

Called today 5/30/13- Approved waiting to be mailed. LTC A No Restrictions.

Renewal 66 days
25 Mar interview / apply / enter into system
07 May Approved by local PD LO
09 May Called. Pending activation by FRB. 2-3weeks to activate & mail to PD
20 May- Should be activated and printed ant day now....
21 May - activated, pending printing
28 May - at delivery and issue stage
30 May - call from local PD to pick up
LTC A no. Restr.

To quote Homer.....Woo Hoooooo!

Update from North Brookfield: My wife and I received our LTC-A's (no restrictions) in the mail this week on Tuesday, May 28th, from the town Police Chief. Thank you, Chief!

Date of issue was May 21st, mailed Friday May 24th.

Soooo, 83 days from February 27th (the day our local PD appointment took filing and finger prints) to "date of issue".

Our prints were taken on the night shift on February 27th, so I started counting the following day.

However, it was a almost a month backlog to get the PD appointment for prints (geez, is everyone in my town getting a license?) at that time, so counting the overall days as of January 24th when I booked the next available appointment (not really the states fault, to a degree), and on the other end the holiday postal weekend after the the town mailed them, made an overall total of 124 days, I count.

I avoided calling the app status line over the past few weeks, figuring they would only tell me what I already knew; our apps were in there "waiting...."

/eddie

Got in touch with my Rehoboth PD contact today and she said she is waiting for it to be printed out and mailed back to Rehoboth. She said to expect it early next week. Finger printed on the 27th of February.

Sandwich

1/18-called for appointment
2/23-appt w LO(fingerprints/photo)
5/8-called FRB status pending local pd
5/16-called again status approved(said I should see me card in 2 weeks)
5/24-called and said it was mailed to pd yesterday!

so hopefully I should see it early to mid next week!

5/30- call from PD that my "FID" card was in...LTC-A
no restrictions.

just shy of 14 weeks it took for me.

Dracut, MA

12/31/12: Filled out form at PD requesting an appointment with Licensing Officer.
3/18/13: Call from PD giving me my interview date/time (3/21).
3/21/13: Interview with LO, submission of application, fingerprints, photos, etc.
5/21/13: License issued.
5/30/13: Call from PD saying LTC was ready for pick up.
5/31/13: Picked up LTC-A with sporting restriction.

Total process (minus the safety course) took 5 months with a few phone calls along the way to check on the process. The Dracut PD licensing officer Lt. Fleury was great and provided very clear information and answered all of my questions. He did say they will remove restrictions after 2 years so I will definitely be requesting that. Excited to do a little shopping this weekend! [grin]

I have family in Kingston and I plan on living there when I get out of the Marine Corps next year. How was the process for you? Were the police friendly/helpful? Also I want to be able to conceal. Does a LTC-A with no restrictions allow you to do that?

Yes, an unrestricted LTC-A allows you to CCW almost anywhere in MA. MGL prohibits carrying a gun on any school property (defined as elementary, secondary and collegiate). Fed Law prohibits possessing any guns in a federal building (including USPO). or any federal property (no possession allowed either). Only in National Parks (relatively new law) can we CCW, but not in any of their buildings.

Springfield, first time LTC application, lifelong (36years) Springfield resident, zero record.

I did the whole process on 2/15. I called the FRB this morning and they said that my application was still in draft and that I would have to call the SPD to find out more. I tried calling the clerks office at the SPD but there was no answer after many rings. I'll try again tomorrow morning. In the meantime does anyone know what "in draft" means? Doesn't sound like I'll be getting anything in the mail anytime soon.[sad2]

Springfield, first time LTC application, lifelong (36years) Springfield resident, zero record.

I did the whole process on 2/15. I called the FRB this morning and they said that my application was still in draft and that I would have to call the SPD to find out more. I tried calling the clerks office at the SPD but there was no answer after many rings. I'll try again tomorrow morning. In the meantime does anyone know what "in draft" means? Doesn't sound like I'll be getting anything in the mail anytime soon.[sad2]

"In Draft" means that they have entered you're information info the computer, but you haven't signed the computer generated application and done photo/prints. Once you go in for photo and prints it changes to "Pending Review by LO."

The good news is they've entered your info...the bad news is they appear to be dragging their feet on having you come in.

"In Draft" means that they have entered you're information info the computer, but you haven't signed the computer generated application and done photo/prints. Once you go in for photo and prints it changes to "Pending Review by LO."

The good news is they've entered your info...the bad news is they appear to be dragging their feet on having you come in.

When I applied recently(sort of) in Medford, my app was in "Draft" status for about the first 3 weeks after everything was completed; meaning signed, photo and prints taken. After that it was in "Revision" status for about 2 weeks and has now been sitting in "Pending Review" for the last 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom