How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

I was talking to you. By doing apps once a month, they are guaranteeing that some of them are 30 days old before the process even begins.

True, I didn't look at it like that. I was just jumping threw the hoops. . . They use to do it on a case by case basis but it was easier for the Sgt. Who does it to spend a day a month doing every app and interview.

Yeah. I don't care about how easy things are for him. I care about him following the law. Based on the turn around times I've seen from the state, once a week would probably be a reasonable balance between efficiency and customer service. Remember, you are his customer.

Honestly I called on August 4th they said come in the 7th so of me it was quick if I called on the 8th I would have been pissed lol guess it was just luck on my part.

Good morning!

I live in Billerica MA - I applied end of August, interviewed Sept 22nd and I was told that it would take 6-8 weeks for the state to get to it. That sounded like a very long time to do yet another background check - and waaay beyond 40 days.

Although I did find a state web page that showed what weeks they were working on: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/
It doesn't look like they have updated the page this week...

Anyone else from Billerica know if I am going to run into another problem?

• Day 1: Called the firearms clerk several times to make an appointment, no response.
  • Day 3: Attempted to call again, no response. Left message with callback information.
  • Day 5: Called again twice, at different hours during the day. No response.
  • Day 7: Left a message again.
  • Day 15: No response, so I went into the police station. Was told to email the firearms clerk, as she doesn't normally answer the phone.
  • Day 15: Sent an email to the firearm's clerk.
  • Day 25: Clerk responded back with dates for appointments.
  • Day 46: Earliest appointment. Firearm's clerk was extremely nice. Did not question why I wanted a license, put Class A no restrictions on the application. She said it would at least take 2 months, most likely 3 months, before my license would come in.
  • Day 59: Check cashed.

Still waiting, a total of 69 days after the interview. 115 days after I attempted to make contact with the clerk. The city is Plymouth.

Last edited:
Patience and discipline is required at this point. Many people begin to obsessively call each day to check on the status of their license. I have seen this actually be used to support a denial!

Would you consider 1 call a month for the last 6 months of a 11 month wait, excessive?

And now i dont call at all so, its been 2 months no communication.

Lets all celebrate my 11 month anniversary of waiting for my ltc, appy hour at the scoreboard!
Andre

I just can't fathom how its okay to place any restrictions. I didn't apply for "hunting and target", why is it okay or legal to demand that comes with every initial? I've been clean both criminally an d mentally, military for 13 years, and a certified expert marksman as per said military. But on the civilian side I'm only allowed to carry enroute to target range? How is that okay to protect my family? Not to mention a 6-8 month wait for license.
But some young man/woman living in a green town, never handled a weapon prior to class, can get an ALP after a short wait?!?
I'm sorry for my little outburst, just frustrated. I fully encourage all able to legally attain their license to do so, and as I am also law abiding, I will carry responsibly and according to my restrictions. Just... Just angry.

I just can't fathom how its okay to place any restrictions. I didn't apply for "hunting and target", why is it okay or legal to demand that comes with every initial? I've been clean both criminally an d mentally, military for 13 years, and a certified expert marksman as per said military. But on the civilian side I'm only allowed to carry enroute to target range? How is that okay to protect my family? Not to mention a 6-8 month wait for license.
But some young man/woman living in a green town, never handled a weapon prior to class, can get an ALP after a short wait?!?
I'm sorry for my little outburst, just frustrated. I fully encourage all able to legally attain their license to do so, and as I am also law abiding, I will carry responsibly and according to my restrictions. Just... Just angry.

Don't apologize, you should be frustrated. Do something positive to channel that frustration. I suggest starting with a call to Comm2A about your restrictions.

Thanks for your service, and it is really too bad you are in this position.

Don't apologize, you should be frustrated. Do something positive to channel that frustration. I suggest starting with a call to Comm2A about your restrictions.

+ 1 million

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...r-how?highlight=want+your+restrictions+lifted

It's unfortunate that you and many many others are in that situation. In the "General Discussion" forum, there is a thread about getting restrictions removed via a campaign/lawsuit they are going forward with. I suggest participating in this. As strange as it sounds, I am very fortunate to have an unrestricted LTC

I moved down to Worcester from Maine about two weeks ago. I stopped in to the WPD License Division today to get the LTC process rolling. The lady there (Tammy?) was nice but told me that they were scheduling appointments in January, which I told her was not acceptable as I would be out of MA compliance because I brought my firearms down with me from Maine. She went back to her computer and spent a couple minutes looking at something. She came back and told me that she had an opening mid-November. I still insisted that this was not acceptable and she told me that was the earliest opening. I was not going to settle for that but I was taking it one step at a time. I took the opening in November and left. I was planning on returning and making a stand about this in the next day or two. Not five minutes after I left WPD I received a call from Tammy saying that an appointment had opened up first thing next week. How convenient that someone cancelled less than five minutes after I left… I asked her how long the wait was for issuing and she told me the current wait time was 10 weeks… We will see about that!

Applying for a LTC Class A ALP

Last edited:
I moved down to Worcester from Maine about two weeks ago. I stopped in to the WPD License Division today to get the LTC process rolling. The lady there (Tammy?) was nice but told me that they were scheduling appointments in January, which I told her was not acceptable as I would be out of MA compliance because I brought my firearms down with me from Maine. She went back to her computer and spent a couple minutes looking at something. She came back and told me that she had an opening mid-November. I still insisted that this was not acceptable and she told me that was the earliest opening. I was not going to settle for that but I was taking it one step at a time. I took the opening in November and left. I was planning on returning and making a stand about this in the next day or two. Not five minutes after I left WPD I received a call from Tammy saying that an appointment had opened up first thing next week. How convenient that someone cancelled less than five minutes after I left… I asked her how long the wait was for issuing and she told me the current wait time was 10 weeks… We will see about that!

Loren & Wally, I believe it was, did a shtick on MEN FROM MAINE. If you're any example, then we're lucky to have you here in MA. Thanks for stopping by.

Well done.

Ill have to check that out tonight.

And yeah.. 12 week wait for an appointment and then 10 weeks to issue.. really? Do they expect people to wait 6 months for an LTC? Not me.. no thank you! Sorry if I am bumping anyone further out. I am going to be all over these guys. Regardless, I am going to be sending out several letters and emails to any state officials/senators I can. Isnt it SUPPOSED to be 7 days to get it to the state and UP TO 30/40 days to issue?

Ill have to check that out tonight.

And yeah.. 12 week wait for an appointment and then 10 weeks to issue.. really? Do they expect people to wait 6 months for an LTC? Not me.. no thank you! Sorry if I am bumping anyone further out. I am going to be all over these guys. Regardless, I am going to be sending out several letters and emails to any state officials/senators I can. Isnt it SUPPOSED to be 7 days to get it to the state and UP TO 30/40 days to issue?

It's a max of 7 days from when the application is received to when it's sent to the state, then a max of 30 days for the state to reply. The law doesn't say how long from the time it comes back from the state to when the licensing authority issues, but it does specify a max of 40 days on the entire process.

Note that it's from the date the application is received, not the date of the "interview." (In fact there's nothing about an interview in the law at all, though it probably does fall under reasonable "suitability" determination.)

(It also doesn't say from when the application is accepted. It very specifically says received. There's nothing stopping someone from sending the app in via registered mail and starting the clock then, though that might be considered "contempt of cop" in some cities.)

MGL Chapter 140 said:
(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.

The licensing authority may also make inquiries concerning the applicant to: (i) the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services relative to any disqualifying condition and records of purchases, sales, rentals, leases and transfers of weapons or ammunition concerning the applicant; (ii) the commissioner of probation relative to any record contained within the department of probation or the statewide domestic violence record keeping system concerning the applicant; and (iii) the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is a suitable person to possess firearms or is not a suitable person to possess firearms. The director or commissioner to whom the licensing authority makes such inquiry shall provide prompt and full cooperation for that purpose in any investigation of the applicant.

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

It's interesting that the law is written in such a way that they can basically just blow you off if the state fails to reply within the 30 day statutory timeframe. ("...provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, blah blah blah...")

Anyway, best of luck and be sure to reach out to your Attorney General if you feel that any of your civil rights are violated in any way. She's there for you.

By the way, I'm obviously not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I'm just another a**h*** on the internet with an opinion. [grin]

Last edited:
Well, I guess my local PD is guilty of missing the seven day submission part. It wasn't until two weeks after application did I get the call to come in for prints. Same for my wife and two others I personally know.

Well, I guess my local PD is guilty of missing the seven day submission part. It wasn't until two weeks after application did I get the call to come in for prints. Same for my wife and two others I personally know.

Seems that even the "good" ones rarely follow 131e.

Called for interview on Sept. 17th.
Scheduled interview for today (October 9th).
Went in and got photo, as well as prints, taken and turned in application.
Officer was very friendly and said that the licenses are taking about 8 weeks to come back.
Will keep everyone updated.

Western MA, green town. Hopefully all goes well.

Last edited:
Anyway, best of luck and be sure to reach out to your Attorney General if you feel that any of your civil rights are violated in any way. She's there for you.

By the way, I'm obviously not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I'm just another a**h*** on the internet with an opinion. [grin]

I very quickly looked over MGL Chapter 140, Section 131 again and a couple titles stuck out... Colonel of State Police, Commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services, and Executive Director of the Criminal History Systems Board. I plan on keeping track of this and making myself known to everyone of them. I will also contact the Attorney General Martha Coakley the day I apply.

We are all just @ssholes on the internet... But I do not put up this that $hit in real life.

I like your attitude. It will take many more like you to make the system change to be what it should be.

Good luck.

Winter,

I've come into the state recently with the same attitude. (see my posts about carrying firearms in cars. Most MA folks don't realize the law is as liberal as it is. I see people putting locked hard cases in their trunks!!??!!)
However, over the last several months, I've realized one simple fact. You are allowed to own firearms in this state at the pleasure of your local issuing authority, and there is no reasonable means of escalation.

So be polite. I'm not saying you should lay down. I didn't . I did the same thing you did, I told my local issuing authority that I had moved into MA with my guns and had 60 days by statute to get legal, and since they had to get me a LTC in 40 days by statute, it wouldn't be a problem. I was of course professional and respectful, there was no reason not to be. But they did know that they had a citizen who was not applying so he could buy his first gun. They had a citizen who would have become a felon if they didn't do their job. And they did get it done. My license cane within 33 days.

But then again, I didn't really need to push. I just reminded them of the two statutes and let it go. I did mention to them how I laughed at the person from the FRB who when I called them to ask if the 60 days was extended if you have a LTC in the works suggested that I turn my guns into the police if time ran over the 60 days. The APD cops told me that they didn't want them.

But remember this is not Maine or CT. Possessing and carrying firearms is not a right here, its a privilege. I don't know if the town I live in, Arlington, is green entirely because of Chief Ryan, or if there is a pro 2a culture in the APD. It makes a difference, because Chief Ryan will retire some day. And god only knows who we will get next. So every night, I say a little prayer wishing that Chief Ryan has many more years of health and that his children choose to go to very expensive private colleges.

Last edited:
Winter,

I've come into the state recently with the same attitude. (see my posts about carrying firearms in cars. Most MA folks don't realize the law is as liberal as it is. I see people putting locked hard cases in their trunks!!??!!)
However, over the last several months, I've realized one simple fact. You are allowed to own firearms in this state at the pleasure of your local issuing authority, and there is no reasonable means of escalation.

So be polite. I'm not saying you should lay down. I didn't . I did the same thing you did, I told my local issuing authority that I had moved into MA with my guns and had 60 days by statute to get legal, and since they had to get me a LTC in 40 days by statute, it wouldn't be a problem. I was of course professional and respectful, there was no reason not to be. But they did know that they had a citizen who was not applying so he could buy his first gun. They had a citizen who would have become a felon if they didn't do their job. And they did get it done. My license cane within 33 days.

But then again, I didn't really need to push. I just reminded them of the two statutes and let it go. I did mention to them how I laughed at the person from the FRB who when I called them to ask if the 60 days was extended if you have a LTC in the works suggested that I turn my guns into the police if time ran over the 60 days. The APD cops told me that they didn't want them.

But remember this is not Maine or CT. Possessing and carrying firearms is not a right here, its a privilege. I don't know if the town I live in, Arlington, is green entirely because of Chief Ryan, or if there is a pro 2a culture in the APD. It makes a difference, because Chief Ryan will retire some day. And god only knows who we will get next. So every night, I say a little prayer wishing that Chief Ryan has many more years of health and that his children choose to go to very expensive private colleges.

I am a very polite and professional person (wouldn't have it any other way.. kill'em with kindness) and I am also very insistent. I did however misread or mixed something up because I thought the statute was 90 days to get legal. That is fine though because as long as everyone is fully aware of what is going on and the fact that there is only 30 days from the date of my "appointment" to issue to keep me in compliance. I plan on speaking with the Chief Gemme, I am not sure it that is part of the process or not, but I will. Then after that ensure that my application gets mailed out (preferably that day) within the week. Follow up with Colonel Timothy Alben (Massachusetts State Police), James F. Slater, III, the acting Commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services, and Martha Coakley, Massachusetts Attorney General (If for no other reason than to express my concern for the crisis that is the LTC process.

I know that because I expressed my concerns, I will not have any issues and that they will issue my license in the time needed... but I am that guy who has to track his package for the entire time it is being shipped just so I know exactly where it is at all times. We would not have access to their names, numbers, addresses, emails, and linkedin profiles if they did not want to be contacted.

I to would have laughed at the FBR. WPD LD told me that as long as my firearms were locked up it was okay for me to run over the 60 days. I informed them that was not the case as that would make me a felon.

One thing that would be useful is for there to be documented the entire process that a local issuing authority goes through when issuing a LTC. For example, they often try to blame "the state". But I believe that multiple state agencies are contacted. Some via email or mail, and some via some kind of dedicated system.

(for example, I believe they contact the dept of mental heaalth. But is it done concurrently with other processes? Is it in the critical path to completion or just a checkbox that must be done by the time of issuance?)

I know all this kind of stuff for CT, but have no clue for MA.
If its documented somewhere else on NES, I'd really appreciate a link and I suspect Winter will also.

Don

One thing that would be useful is for there to be documented the entire process that a local issuing authority goes through when issuing a LTC. For example, they often try to blame "the state". But I believe that multiple state agencies are contacted. Some via email or mail, and some via some kind of dedicated system.

(for example, I believe they contact the dept of mental heaalth. But is it done concurrently with other processes? Is it in the critical path to completion or just a checkbox that must be done by the time of issuance?)

I know all this kind of stuff for CT, but have no clue for MA.
If its documented somewhere else on NES, I'd really appreciate a link and I suspect Winter will also.

Don

Yup, I agree that it would be a great idea to document the process. Too bad nobody ever thought of doing that. [wink]

Check the Stickies (that nobody ever bothers to read), there might be some info there. [smile]

Yup, I agree that it would be a great idea to document the process. Too bad nobody ever thought of doing that. [wink]

Check the Stickies (that nobody ever bothers to read), there might be some info there. [smile]

It's also outlined in the actual law, though something tells me that the law and the process are not entirely copacetic.

It's also outlined in the actual law, though something tells me that the law and the process are not entirely copacetic.

LOL I figured that one out when they tried to tell me that I had to wait until January to APPLY! Then to wait 10 weeks for them to issue.

You would think that the people WE pay to uphold the law would actually uphold the law...

Stickies are great and I think I have gone over all of them! God bless stickies!

If I'm not mistaken, Chief Gemme has already been sued and lost over licensing issues.

Back
Top Bottom