How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

I just received mine in Yarmouth.

I went to schedule an appointment, and set one up the following week. Yarmouth requires 3 letters of recommendation and you do not fill out the application before hand.
On August 9, the appointment was for finger prints and a member of the records department filling out a digital copy of the application. The only hitch here was, although ALP was put in for "Reason", I was asked for another reason. I asked if I had to and was told yes, so I said Defensive Carry and Target. All in all I was in and out in about 40 minutes and was told it would be about 8 weeks.

Yesterday I got the call (Oct 10) and picked it up today (Oct 11). LTC-A with No Restrictions. Only took 9 weeks.

I know nothing of Chief Gemme. Can somebody either link me to a thread or fill me in. Thanks.

The chief said the practice of the department concerning people applying for a license for the first time is to limit them to sporting and target. The license, which is valid for no more than six years from the date it is issued, can be changed on renewal. That period allows the department to monitor the license recipients over time to ensure they can handle a firearm properly, the chief said.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20110107/NEWS/101070528/-1/NEWS07#.UHeL_ku9Kc0

I understand wanting to know that someone can properly handle a firearm, I mean that is why we have to take a state approved firearm class. But then again, knowing how to handle a firearm and knowing how to conceal carry aren't exactly the same thing. But being on a 6 year probationary period is bogus! I would understand the restriction if he stated that the restriction would be upheld until a concealed carry class was taken.

His reasons for the restrictions could be founded by the fact that there have been a couple bad eggs that got LTCs and embarrassed themselves and the city of Worcester and no one wants that. Keep in mind I am not from this city and have only been a resident for a little while but I have read of LTCers going to bars, getting drunk, drawing on bouncers.. Stupid shit like this makes it harder for everyone.

My experience in Stoughton

Here is how it went down for me in Stoughton.

Took me a few weeks to get a meeting with the person who handles the applications. Some due in part to me not being able to make it at their available times, most in part due to that person not being in the office. When speaking to a dispatcher I was told that the person who handles this does so monday through thursday 4:30 to 6:30pm.

Required for my meeting:

Safety Course Certificate
Birth Certificate
Proof of Residence (I used my mortgage)
2 Utility Bills
2 Letters of Reference
1 Letter of Justification to the Chief why I want my LTC

Timeline:

July 2, 2012 - Both my wife and I apply same day. Our "interview" consisted of asking for our documentation, answering the LTC app questions so they could be submitted online, getting our picture taken, and getting fingerprinted. We both paid our fee of $100 each by postal money order. We were told about 6 weeks for the permit to come back. At this time we were also told it could take longer because the state is slow.
August 14, 2012 - Called to check on the status of our applications. I am told there is no update and no further information is available.
August 31, 2012 - Our references are called. During one of the phone calls the Licensing Authority (LA) said that he hadn't touched our apps yet and further went on to say "ive had these apps on my desk for weeks"
September 17, 2012 - I contact GOAL regarding my license delays after seeing their letter to the AG regarding the same. They take my information and suggest I contact my Senate and House representatives. I do.
September 18, 2012 - I receive a phone call back from Senator Joyces office. They basically want to know what I want done about the situation. I explain that I would like to see some reform in the application process and some accountability on the state and licensing authorities behalf.
September 20, 2012 - I receive an email from Rep. William Galvin saying he is wokring on resolving this for me and will be in touch. I reply asking what his course of action is.
September 21, 2012 - My wife receives her LTC in the mail. Class A, no restrictions. Date of issue, 9/14/2012. Came in an envelope from the Stoughton PD. No call was made from the Stoughton PD that the license was in. We were told on the day we applied, we would get a phone call when our permits came in. I receive nothing.
September 24, 2012 - I email Jon Green at GOAL to let him know that my wife received her permit, I still hadn't received mine, and that I contact my reps. He forwards my correspondence to some other members at GOAL. James Wallace replies 2 hours later saying they are working on it.
October 1, 2012 - Called LA to get an update. Conversation lasted about 30 seconds

me: Hello LA. This is jdev, how are you?
la: good
me: I'm just calling to check the status of my LTC application. My wife received hers two weeks ago and I have yet to receive mine. I just wanted to see what the delay was"
la: waiting on the state. the state has been slow.

October 2, 2012 - I get in touch with Jon to give him an update. I tell Jon that I had a phone call with the LA the day prior. He cant/wont give me an update and blames the state. I called the Firearms Record Bureau, they wont give me any information and tell me that I have to contact the licensing authority. Jon suggests I email my reps and ask them to intervene and demand that my permit be issued. I do.
October 5, 2012 - I receive a call from the LA to let me know that my permit is in. He informs me that my drivers license is non-renewable and will not give me my LTC card until that is fixed.
October 9, 2012 - I pay my excise tax. Clears up my Drivers License renewal issue with the state while I am on hold.
October 11, 2012 - I go to the station after work to pick up my LTC. The LA shows me the report where my Drivers License is non-renewable. The report is dated 10/5. I explain that I took care of it on 10/9. He goes to re-run the report and I take a seat.

About 3 minutes later he comes back, says I'm ok and hands me the envelope with my permit inside. After he hands it to me he tells me that he is a little bit pissed off that I "got the rep involved". I asked which rep he was referring to. He then named Joyce (Senator Brian Joyce) and said a letter showed up here addressed to his chief asking what the delay was. I told him that I contacted both Senator Joyce and House Rep. Galvin at the behest of GOAL. Shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned GOAL as to say he didn't know about it and gave me a look that said "I really don't care". I explained to him that I contacted my representatives about this to see what can be done legislatively about this situation to prevent future delays. He didn't seem satisfied with my explanation. In fact, it feels like to me that he was put out having to deal with an LTC at all. I shook his hand and thanked him for his time, then left.

Another thing worth noting in my experience is that he said that it wasn't just me calling and asking for updates. He said that many applicants were calling and asking for updates of which he had none. His canned response was "the state is slow". He couldn't (or just didn't want to) even tell me at what point the delay was. I only called 2 times asking for updates. Both times I called I felt like I was out of line and I had annoyed him for doing so. I also think the thing with my excise tax was added extra because the letter showed up from Senator Joyce asking the chief what the status of my permit was. Thats pure speculation on my part, but, I didn't think that checking the renewal status of someones drivers license could be held against you for applying for an LTC. If I didn't have a car, it wouldn't have been an issue, and it doesn't seem, dare I use the word, fair, that you can't apply that logic to both situations equally. I guess on the other hand, what if my drivers license was expired because I decided to use mass transit or bike to work? Guess I'll never know on that one.

All and all, it seems like he was rather upset that I contacted my elected officials about this. Almost as if he was offended that his word wasn't good enough. Fact of the matter is, its not his word that matters. Its the fact that theres a delay somewhere and he couldn't be bothered to make a phonecall to find out where.

All said, took my wife 81 days to get her permit and took me 101 days (to get it in hand).

If anyone here (resident of Stoughton or otherwise) has a question about my experiences, I am happy to answer them. Feel free to PM me about it.

Last edited:
Here is how it went down for me in Stoughton.

October 5, 2012 - I receive a call from the LA to let me know that my permit is in. He informs me that my drivers license is non-renewable and will not give me my LTC card until that is fixed. .

So anyone owing money to a city/town/or the state is denied ? (until paid ?)

IANAL, but would not think this practice would be on the "up and up" -- of course, from the town's POV it may give them the "leverage" they need to collect past debts.
I also think the thing with my excise tax was added extra because the letter showed up from Senator Joyce asking the chief what the status of my permit was.
No doubt, the LA was BS that you "went over his head". Good for you ! [smile]

Not exactly.

As I see it, my LTC was approved at the time I got the call it was in. The PD was just refusing to physically release it to me until that was cleared up. The report was run on 10/5. During my phonecall with the PD on 10/5 it was mentioned that they do this check with everyone as a final check before giving people their license. I guess thats just to make sure you've done nothing since your application that would otherwise disqualify you from getting your license. I assume had they run this same report on July 2, they would have seen the same thing. I always neglect my excise tax. Bad habit. But if they ran it after I applied, I would have taken care of it sooner had I known it was tied to me being able to get my LTC.

The Stoughton Chief is a really good guy. I haven't heard of other experiences like this in Stoughton.

Jesse,

I don't doubt that Chief Shastany is a good guy. I didn't once deal with him.

I really hope for other residents sake that my experience is not what is to be expected. I hope other residents get their licenses in a more timely manner than I did, whether the delay be on the LA's end or the states.

Northbridge -- 2 days shy of 6 weeks.

Submitted 9/5 -- received today in the mail -- LTC-A no restrictions.

Very smooth process -- did the app, pic, & prints at 8:30 PM with dept LT.

Great to live in a green town.

I just got a phone call from the Popo that my LTC is ready; Can't get it until after work...this is going to be the longest day of my life.

edit-------------
Called for appointment 26 June
LTC appointment/interview 25 July
LTC issued 4 Oct
Police called saying it was ready 16 October.
Class A no restrictions.

Last edited:
Congratulations !
With me, the LEO left a telephone message on my answering service and my wife got the message unbeknownst to me.
This was a Friday afternoon, and we had a very full and busy Saturday planned, so my better half said to me : we have something to add to out "to do" list for Saturday. Clearly annoyed I said that our plate was full for Saturday, to which she retorted "So I guess that you dont want to go to the PD and bick up your LTC then" ? Touché !

October 9, 2012 - Walked in WPD - Set up the appointment for the "interview" for the following week.
October 16, 2012 - LTC "interview" - 10 minutes to take documents, fingerprints, photo, and pay.

November 16, 2012 - Expected date of LTC issuance

I would call that extremely optimistic. Good luck!

Thanks =)

I am going to make sure my application makes it to the state by the end of the week. All EOPS parties are aware of my application and situation and are ready to expedite the process as soon as my application leaves the WPD.

I got in contact with the right people high enough in the chain to make things happen.

I will make a how-to tutorial when this is all done =)

Thanks =)

I am going to make sure my application makes it to the state by the end of the week. All EOPS parties are aware of my application and situation and are ready to expedite the process as soon as my application leaves the WPD.

I got in contact with the right people high enough in the chain to make things happen.

Cool! Looking forward to it!!

Thanks =)

love to compare and contrast notes

Andre

Usually "the right people high enough in the chain" aren't happy when someone broadcasts to the masses of frustrated LTC applicants whose applications are not being "expedited" the preferential treatment they received.

Well to be honest... You guys did this to yourselves. Where I come from (Maine) we hold our elected officials responsible for their actions or lack there of.

Is it really expedited if I am requesting something to be done in the time that is stated in Massachusetts General Law? And being that I moved in from out of state with my firearms, my application should take priority over say someone how does not yet own firearms. Because if it is not completed in the appropriate time, the licensing authority is in effect making me a felon.

And even if I was not making the right people aware of the situation, I could still make a how-to of what you need to do, who you can contact, etc, it is all readily available in M.G.L.

I am sure some people can appreciate someone taking a stand for what is right, while everyone else stands idly by.

Or do I have this all wrong?

Last edited:
While I do think Winter is a bit Naive about the powers held by the chiefs. i.e. they can arbitrarily restrict or deny and you have no reasonable recourse, I admire his audacity.

I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle, between the passive begging and pleading done by typical MA applicants.

Winter - this is not Maine. Owning a firearm is something you get to do at the pleasure of the issuing authority. They hold all the marbles. Remember, your elected officials ARE being responsive to their constituants, the vast majority of whom dont' want you or anyone else to have a gun.

With all that said, I do think that going appropriately up the food chain and being politely assertive can help. When I moved here this spring, I let the chief in my town know that I was moving here with several guns and that the statute allowed me 60 days to get my credentials. I mentioned this again to the Sgt. who ran the process and to the women who actually administered the process. I got my LTC-A in 33 days.

I think it helped, but I also think that the Arlington PD handles their LTC applications in a professional way and doesn't dick people around. I was told that the apps were processed weekly, but that sometimes for personell reasons or vacations it might take longer. I believe my assertiveness got me to the top of the pile and helped to make sure my app went out in a timely manner. But I also believe that most Arlington apps get handled in almost as quick a manner.

Like I said before. This may come entirely from Chief Ryan's perspective or it may be part of the APD culture. Either way I pray every night that Chief Ryan remains healthy and that his children choose to go to very expensive colleges and grad schools so he has to keep working for a long long time.

Your 2A rights should never trump anyone else's; when it comes to 2A rights infringement, get in line. [wink]

You can't please everyone.

I was originally supposed to have my appointment scheduled 12 weeks out with time to issue between 10-12 weeks. If I had said nothing, I would be a felon before I even had my interview for my LTC, thus disqualifying me from getting it.

Now if I had been a MA resident my whole life, the only thing I would be after those 24 weeks would be angry.

Felon vs angry...

I know this is not Maine and MA born do not have the rights of someone born in America. But I already have the right and my guns and it will be a bad day for anyone that tries to take either.

Attleboro, MA

Application submission - 10/18/12
Interview Appointment - 11/21/12 [sad]

ill update as this plays out. i was a little taken back by how far out my appointment was. then again, im not surprised because Attleboro is very very picky with everything when applying. frustrating to say the least.

Malden,Ma

Application submitted: 8/10/12
LTC-A unrestricted (Reason:ALP) received: 10/18/12

I didn't have an interview of any kind. I had application transferred to the computer and prints taken the day of the application.

Malden,Ma

Application submitted: 8/10/12
LTC-A unrestricted (Reason:ALP) received: 10/18/12

I didn't have an interview of any kind. I had application transferred to the computer and prints taken the day of the application.

ive heard some call it an 'interview' and thats what the clerk called it this morning when i turned in my app. but i believe its just having your prints and photo taken. i dont understand why some towns are extremely harder than others. i mean, i do understand...greatly depends on who works at the station and their view on 2A. for example, a couple friends of mine walked right into the station, submitted their app, prints and photos taken and they were told 'itll be ready in 2 months' this was in the town next to mine. both towns are GREEN towns as well.

my town on the other hand, have to be put down for an appointment a month out from my application submission and then itll take another 8 weeks after that. so im looking at February. :(

Back
Top Bottom