How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

from what i understand, you have a 90 grace period after your license expires where you are able to keep your guns. after the 90 days you better get rid of them until your license comes in or its a felony. thats what i did, after my 3 month grace period i gave my guns to a friend for an additional 4 months until my license was in hand. correct me if i'm wrong please...

I think you are nuts. If you renew in in a timely manner and they don't get your license within the alloted 40 days THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW.

This is the thing that gets me. I spoke to my attorney in CT about our move. The law says that I have 60 days to "get legal". The law also says they have 40 days to get me my license. His interpretation was that if I kept the guns in the safe the legal risk was minimal. He said something to me like that is the perfect affirmative defense. Again, what is the chance that the cops will come into your home while you are waiting for your LTC.

Like I said, I also called the FRB and got the name of the person who I spoke with.

To me, the risk associated with having my guns at someone elses house, not in my house, with my dog, my cellular monitored alarm and my UL Tl-30 rated safe, are greater than the risk of keeping them at home.

I understand its a personal choice, but this is the logic behind mine.

One other thing. I have a MG, a SBR and a couple of cans at a friends house currently. The cans will never come to MA, the SBRs are waiting on the Feds, and the MG will hopefully make it here. Since I have a trust for my NFA stuff I just had to add my friend as a trustee. Just something to think about if you are moving here with NFA items.

Don

Last edited:
For me it was 78 days (Westford, MA - GreenTown).

For my wife.. her's just got in:
Applied - 12-JUN-2012
Fingerprint Appt - 26-JUN-2012
Latest call to find out WTF? - 17-SEP-2012; she was approved, but they said the paperwork was messed up.
Call that it came in - 25-SEP-2012
Comes out to about 105 days.

Today is day 132 and still nothing.....

After talking to the chief of police and telling him that MANY other towns across the Commonwealth are issuing 6 weeks within the day of application I was told "it depends on what town you live in and who at the state level reviews it."

Now what do I do?

Today is day 132 and still nothing.....

After talking to the chief of police and telling him that MANY other towns across the Commonwealth are issuing 6 weeks within the day of application I was told "it depends on what town you live in and who at the state level reviews it."

Now what do I do?

Sounds like BS excuses have begun in your town as well.

Andre

Sounds like BS excuses have begun in your town as well.

Andre

Oh yeah, they started long ago. I just hate feeling powerless and not being able to expedite this process no matter what I do. I feel any more attempts to talk to the station will only hinder the process at this point.

Starting a legal process with my attorney may be my next move. That should really set them off though....

The FRB's advice notwithstanding, on the 61st day, possession becomes illegal.

In Black Letter of the Law, I agree with the above. However I would not personally worry about that at all. I've stated why before and will do so after comments on Don's response below.

I think you are nuts. If you renew in in a timely manner and they don't get your license within the alloted 40 days THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW.

This is the thing that gets me. I spoke to my attorney in CT about our move. The law says that I have 60 days to "get legal". The law also says they have 40 days to get me my license. His interpretation was that if I kept the guns in the safe the legal risk was minimal. He said something to me like that is the perfect affirmative defense. Again, what is the chance that the cops will come into your home while you are waiting for your LTC.

I completely agree with Don and his CT attorney's assessment of this issue.

Also, BTW the fact that you moved into MA and filed for your LTC does NOT mean you brought any guns with you or that you even own any guns. So how would they get a search warrant to come and confiscate them, with no evidence that you even possess them?? [This assumes that you didn't open your mouth and tell the LO that you did move in with guns. It's not required for you to tell and not required for you to register them when you move in with them!]

IF the PD were to try to persecute someone after 60 days AND you had a decent lawyer, here's how I would expect to see the scenario go down:

Lawyer (L): Is it true my client filed for his/her LTC prior to 60 days after moving in?
Police Chief (PC): Yes, but . . .
L: Excuse me, it was a Yes or No question.
Judge (J): Please just answer the question directly.

L: Is it true that MGL specifies that the PD MUST issue/deny within 40 days?
PC: Yes, but . . .
J: I'm reminding you for the last time, just answer the questions.

L: Did my client do anything that caused a delay past the 40 day mark?
PC: No

L: Your Honor, I move for Summary Dismissal of all charges against my client and that you advise PC to issue the LTC in accordance with MGLs.
J: Case Dismissed with Prejudice!

Now, IANAL but I just can't see any PC (or even a ADA) putting themselves in a position in court to look like a horse's ass in front of a judge! Not intentionally.

I also have been told that nobody is going to come looking for guns after that 60 day (or the 90 day on renewal) window if the person didn't cause the problem (i.e. they filed timely).

Keeping detailed records, getting a receipt for your application, etc. all helps ensure this doesn't become a legal problem.

There will obviously be some people who even if they fully agree with the above, are still too scared to do this (keep them until they get the LTC). Do what you want to do, worry if you must, join the tin-foil crowd if you wish . . . we can't really help those people.

Day 0 - Called PD for Appointment
Day 61 - Met with FireArms Officer / Completed Application and Fingerprinted
Day 154 - License Issued (9/10/12)
Day 169 - License Received in Mail from PD

LTC A: No Restrictions

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my LTC A. Boston, so restricted. Sucks, but better than nothing.

Called for application appointment in early May,
Application appointment May 30
Moon Island range test August 20 (had a sore wrist but still passed...turned out to be broken)
License received Sept 26.

So almost five months all told. Unbelievable.

Now I need a club. Seems like Braintree and MRA are the best/closest, but need to decide.

Still waiting on mine. It wasnt in the pile of mail I had when I came home from vacation. I am going to call the firearm licensing department in plymouth and ask for the status.

****UPDATE****

I just got mine in the mail. Class A no restrictions! :) YEA!!

I am going to go gun shopping next week for my first gun!

Last edited:
I spoke to an old coworker the other night, she used to be a competition shooter and her LTC expired 15+ years ago (her guns were stored with a licensed friend) and she was out to dinner with a friend and the subject came up about renewing and she asked what she needed to do since it was expired so long ago. He said $100 and fill out the application.
She stopped by the PD that evening on her way home from dinner, was interviewed on the spot and was called up approximately 5 weeks later saying her LTC was waiting for her at the PD.
There is absolutely NO WAY the state is the hold up in this process.
Town was Bridgewater. Not sure if she has restrictions on her LTC or not, though.

Wilbraham
Applied (walk in interview): July 30, 2012
Call from Wilbraham PD: Sept 25, 2012
LTC A no restrictions
Overall very nice experience - (except waiting - however it gave me time to do my research and chose my first gun. Within 30 minutes of getting the license I got my SIG P229).

That may or may not be a problem depending on your individual circumstances.

The Basics:
I was renting in Ashland when I applied, about 8 weeks later the house sold and I moved to Boston . Tomorrow will be 16 weeks waiting for my permit . I pretty much figured as soon as a I got it I would send the change of address forms to Ashland,Boston and the state .

Timeline :
July 18th - took basic pistol course
July 29th - Met with the chief, took fingerprints, signed application
Sept. 28th PD calls to say LTC is ready.
Sept. 29th Picked up LTC (Class A - Unrestricted)

[party]
Update : Became a green NES member 10/03/2012

Last edited:

I made the appointment in May of this year. They were backed up 2 months. Interview was in July. Was told 10-12 weeks. This is week 12, it's not in yet.

Ugh, I'm hoping they fix these issues soon, or at least before I renew in 2018 :/

There's nothing to fix. A fix implies there is a problem. The system is working exactly how those in power want it to work. Slowly and with difficulty.
The only way this will ever change is if the process responsibility is removed from the local issuing authority and given to the state. This is why you have some LtCs taking 3 weeks and others taking 9 months.

There's nothing to fix. A fix implies there is a problem. The system is working exactly how those in power want it to work. Slowly and with difficulty.
The only way this will ever change is if the process responsibility is removed from the local issuing authority and given to the state. This is why you have some LtCs taking 3 weeks and others taking 9 months.

+1

Yes, It's pure bullshit. Shame on them doing this to honest citizens, it's ridiculous. 3 months is too long, 10 months is an atrocity.

Wow i feel bad for everyone that has to wait. i guess i lucked out. I applied 8/15/12 and received my license on 9/15/12. class A unrestricted. I have a friend that applied on the same day one town over and is still waiting. I am in Rockland, she is in Hanover. Good luck everyone

Now I'm searching for a preban AR15 :D

Wow i feel bad for everyone that has to wait. i guess i lucked out. I applied 8/15/12 and received my license on 9/15/12. class A unrestricted. I have a friend that applied on the same day one town over and is still waiting. I am in Rockland, she is in Hanover. Good luck everyone

Now I'm searching for a preban AR15 :D

Same here, mine didn't even take a month. It's all about who your Chief is, surprisingly the state isn't the hold up here.

To give you an idea how easy it is out here, I didn't even talk to a police officer during my "interview", just a secretary. I called and said I'd like to apply for my LTC, "Sure when can you come in", tomorrow at 9 sound good? "Okay see you then". Walk in with my application, watch as she types it into the computer, she takes my fingerprints and picture, I pay my $100 and leave. 19 days later it shows up in the mail.

OH, to have the wait over with...

7/11 -- dropped off application
8/1 -- Interview/fingerprints, etc...
10/1 -- Got the call to pickup license - LTC-A No Restrictions

Northborough.

10/1 -- Purchased Beretta 92FS

Happy. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom