How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Boston - 50 days from application drop off to arival in mail. Target and hunting, which when I called they said also includes sporting.

Ummm, actually, sporting means that:"SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location."
So sporting allows you to be outdoors with your firearm, whereas hunting/target are restricted to hunting/target only. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have a sporting restriction on my LTC-A.
Also it seems strange that some PD will issue a sporting, hunting and target restriction altogether.Wouldn't sporting include the previous two anyway?

Last edited:
Ummm, actually, sporting means that:"SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location."
So sporting allows you to be outdoors with your firearm, whereas hunting/target are restricted to hunting/target only. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have a sporting restriction on my LTC-A.
Also it seems strange that some PD will issue a sporting, hunting and target restriction altogether.Wouldn't sporting include the previous two anyway?

I know what sporting means that's why I called and asked. They said there system only has three options alp, employment, and target and hunting. I guess its maybe just a boston interpretation thing but they said it includes sporting when I called. Prior to taking a gun hiking I will be calling back with a tape recorder to get record of it though

I would as well. Makes one wonder how people that are unsure of the firearm laws are actually enforcing them? I mean the fact that they told you that hunting/target includes sporting is pure bull, IMO. Of course they could care less if you get caught, say, hiking on the trail while CCW.

Dropped off my paperwork this morning
I believe the person I was working with was named Beth, they only do the licensing part time on Mondays so you call thm and leave a msg then she calls back to schedule. fingerprints and photos are done at the appointment no interviews or anything like that and was told it takes about 6-8 weeks i heard her mention that first timers get restricted so now the waiting game begins

Last edited:
Ummm, actually, sporting means that:

"SPORTING – restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location."

Also it seems strange that some PD will issue a sporting, hunting and target restriction altogether. Wouldn't sporting include the previous two anyway?

There are no universal definitions. Each of the 352 Issuing Authorities in MA are free to define their own restrictions.

The definition you quoted was supplied to IAs by DCJIS (who does utilize them in issuance of non-resident LTCs) as a non-binding guideline. Some have adopted them, but many (most?) have not.

Bottom line, only the IA can tell you what any particular restriction means.

They said there system only has three options alp, employment, and target and hunting.

Perhaps those are the only three they will issue, but AFAIK the MIRCS system allows them to manually enter anything in the "restrictions" field.

I will be calling back with a tape recorder to get record of it though

FYI, recording without prior notice is a felony.

Took me about one year to get my unrestricted LTC in Worcester.

Applied in October of 2011 and it was issued November of 2012.

Not sure what the hold up was. I kept getting the response "the chief is busy" until one day this nice lady picked up and said "oh my, you've been waiting a long time haven't you." A few weeks later I called them again and was approved.

11+ months?! Damn, you're a patient man! Though, I guess you didn't really have a choice in the matter. Congrats on the ALP and thanks for the update. [cheers]

11+ months?! Damn, you're a patient man! Though, I guess you didn't really have a choice in the matter. Congrats on the ALP and thanks for the update. [cheers]

in the last year...I was in the middle of buying a new house,taking care of a baby, and starting a new job. needless to say, it went by pretty quick and the LTC was the last thing on my mind.

everything is settled now and I wanted to start an AR build...probably worst time ever for it though.

in the last year...I was in the middle of buying a new house,taking care of a baby, and starting a new job. needless to say, it went by pretty quick and the LTC was the last thing on my mind.

everything is settled now and I wanted to start an AR build...probably worst time ever for it though.
Congrats on the milestones! I'm with you on the "probably worst time ever…". I'm awaiting my LTC-A as well.

if you waited more than 40 days....

GOAL Licensing Alert Update - December 5, 2012

As you know, GOAL has been getting hundreds of phone calls and emails regarding licensing delays. Some of you waited weeks just for the appointment to apply, and many of you have waited or are still waiting for months to actually have the FID or LTC in hand.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo has agreed to help us look into this matter.

At this time, we ask that you send information about your appointment/licensing delays ONLY (no restriction/denial issues, please) to Andrew Keegan, Speaker DeLeo's legislative aide.

Please keep the emails brief and polite, as their office is on our side!

You may email Andrew at [email protected]

Yesterday maked 7 weeks, so I called the magic number today... it's on its way to my local PD [grin] (Milford PD initially told me 6-8 weeks, so on time as far as they're concerned)

7 months fall river!!!

Wow, fill out the comm2a survey please. Also

GOAL Licensing Alert Update - December 5, 2012

As you know, GOAL has been getting hundreds of phone calls and emails regarding licensing delays. Some of you waited weeks just for the appointment to apply, and many of you have waited or are still waiting for months to actually have the FID or LTC in hand.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo has agreed to help us look into this matter.

At this time, we ask that you send information about your appointment/licensing delays ONLY (no restriction/denial issues, please) to Andrew Keegan, Speaker DeLeo's legislative aide.

Please keep the emails brief and polite, as their office is on our side!

You may email Andrew at [email protected]

Bridgewater

10/19/12 - Dropped of application.
10/29/12 - Rec'd phone call to set date for interview.
11/02/12 - Interview, submitted prints / photo.
12/10/12 - Rec'd e-mail update from L.O., LTC approved. Submitted to FRB.
12/31/12 - Called FRB to check status. LTC issued and mailed to P.D. on 12/27.
01/03/13 - Rec'd e-mail from L.O., LTC available for pick-up.
01/04/13 - Picked-up LTC-A, no restrictions [smile]

Just under 9 weeks from the time the application was entered into the system. Not bad considering the two holidays occuring.

Update for LTC

11/19. Applied, interviewed and fingerprinted.
12/19. Firearms record bureau received LTC
12/31. LTC activated
still waiting on PD to get it....
stopped in Wednesday and today. Still nothing...

I know what sporting means that's why I called and asked. They said there system only has three options alp, employment, and target and hunting. I guess its maybe just a boston interpretation thing but they said it includes sporting when I called. Prior to taking a gun hiking I will be calling back with a tape recorder to get record of it though
I
Unless you get it in writing, you can't carry anywhere with a target & hunting licence.As to recording someone, first you must let them know that you are recording them,and get thier permission to do so.I do not think Boston PD will agree to that.

Back
Top Bottom