How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

The FRB told me they mailed off my LTC exactly ONE WEEK after my Interview.

As I've heard of no one receiving their LTC in 8-10 days after the Interview, I believe my LO when they tell me there is more to do.

Perhaps it is the Fingerprints that is the hold-up. I expect it must take a little bit of time for the State Police to scan them in.

Just guessing.

You have now!

I submitted my paperwork (renewal) and check in Oct. 2010, interview date in Dec. 2010, received new LTC 9 days after the interview. What is obvious to me is that they ran all the checks when they got my paperwork and didn't wait for me to come in for the interview before running the process.

These days the MSP is backed up on running fingerprints and that can indeed take as much as 4 weeks.

I have no idea why the FRB would tell you they printed and mailed your LTC one week after your interview... It's my understanding that they don't even print them until all of the checks are done.

Lens? Any ideas?

The plastic LTC is not printed until all the mandated checks are done and the LO clicks "approve" in MIRCS. It then takes a finite amount of time for FRB to print the LTC, mail it to the PD, then the PD has to activate it and generate your PIN code letter. At that point they can sit on your permit, mail it to you, wait until you call in, or call you to pick it up . . . varies by town.

Hmmn.

The FRB (617-660-4722) told me they mailed off my LTC three weeks ago, and it was fully activated and they knew of no reason it should not have been delivered to me.

I suppose the LO is holding it up for the same reason it takes a month to get an appointment. They just want to do it this way.

Not much I can do at this point but be patient.

Bridgewater

10/19/12 - Dropped of application.
10/29/12 - Rec'd phone call to set date for interview.
11/02/12 - Interview, submitted prints / photo.
12/10/12 - Rec'd e-mail update from L.O., LTC approved. Submitted to FRB.
12/31/12 - Called FRB to check status. LTC issued and mailed to P.D. on 12/27.
01/03/13 - Rec'd e-mail from L.O., LTC available for pick-up.
01/04/13 - Picked-up LTC-A, no restrictions [smile]

Just under 9 weeks from the time the application was entered into the system. Not bad considering the two holidays occuring.

Last question. I promise. Did you put ALP as reason for issue of did you go into any detail?

My local PD approved my renewal and now I'm waiting for the lovely Chelsea Office to push two buttons and approve my renewal. I'm getting close to my 90 day grace period.

What should I do if the Chelsea office drags their feet and I'm past my 90 days? They got me by the balls. Freakin frustrating......

Salemcat, if it were me, I would have told the LO directly that you had checked with FRB and was told that it was activated and mailed out to them 3 weeks ago and ask that he please look for it. That's just me and I recognize that many are scared of doing this, but being polite and pointed will oftentimes work. I don't see a downside to it, but I've been known to stare into the shark's mouth more than a few times and am comfortable doing so. YMMV

Salemcat, if it were me, I would have told the LO directly that you had checked with FRB and was told that it was activated and mailed out to them 3 weeks ago and ask that he please look for it. That's just me and I recognize that many are scared of doing this, but being polite and pointed will oftentimes work. I don't see a downside to it, but I've been known to stare into the shark's mouth more than a few times and am comfortable doing so. YMMV

As it has been less than the "required" forty days, I might as well wait.

When the forty days becomes reality, I will take your advice.

Just picked up my LTC-A with no restrictions in Milford, MA

11/15/12 dropped off application, fingerprinted, etc - no appointment
1/2/13 issued (per date on LTC)
1/3/13 called magic number just to check, said it was "just mailed to PD"
1/9/13 got call from PD, picked up LTC-A no restrictions

8 weeks to the day. They told me 6-8 weeks when I dropped off app.

FYI. My interview was bumped another week. Got the call this morning from Maynard saying the "state system" was down.

I was called the morning of my interview and received a voicemail saying for me to call them back because they had to reschedule my interview for either later in the day or another date. When I called back I requested one for later in the day and all was good. Apparently, from what the woman who handled my data entry said, was that the system was operating excruciatingly slow and she wanted me to reschedule for another day. I had already waited a full month from the initial application drop off and didn't want to wait any longer.

PS...I've edited this 3 times and can't get the correct font size. Lol.

Last edited:
Hello Folks, Has anyone applied since december 14th 2012? I am also waiting paitently.......
I have. It will be three weeks as of this Saturday. I'm guessing I'm in for at least another 5-8 weeks of waiting. I did see they cashed the check at least, so apparently the process is in motion.

Well, I dropped off my renewal sometime around the 3rd. I was out of town on business for about 2 weeks prior (last minute, kind of messed up my timing). Got a call Monday returning a call I made last Sat. The licensing officer is out on leave, but comes back a few times a week to get applications into the computer. I was told that even though my paperwork is in, it will be a "few weeks" before I get to come in and do the prints. He told me that he comes in a few days a week (shoulder injury) and processes applications, but A) The state is taking awhile to get them back to him, B) He personally is swamped with applications and renewals in the past few weeks, and C) not to worry, I am covered for 90 days after expiration. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

If you think getting your LTC will end your troubles - think again.

I've been calling and emailing Firearms Shops all over New England, and checking many Online Retailers. My short list of Shotguns are consistently Out-of-Stock everywhere.

Phones are rarely picked up, and only one out of five emails even answered.

I'd be very pleased to give them my Credit Card right over the phone, just to get the damn thing on order. If it takes three or six months to arrive, so be it.

Though Obama may have other plans.......

If you think getting your LTC will end your troubles - think again.

I've been calling and emailing Firearms Shops all over New England, and checking many Online Retailers. My short list of Shotguns are consistently Out-of-Stock everywhere.

Phones are rarely picked up, and only one out of five emails even answered.

I'd be very pleased to give them my Credit Card right over the phone, just to get the damn thing on order. If it takes three or six months to arrive, so be it.

Though Obama may have other plans.......

Check the classifieds here on nes. Go to some of the firearm and knife shows. Check your local clubs' bulletin board. Lots of firearms out there to be had :). Especially if you aren't looking or an ebr

Check the classifieds here on nes. Go to some of the firearm and knife shows. Check your local clubs' bulletin board. Lots of firearms out there to be had :). Especially if you aren't looking or an ebr

Good advice. Can you point me to a Thread that clearly describes the Laws involved for Private Sales in plain English ?

I'm really thinking of buying New, though. The prices for Used don't seem much less, and when I consider the $40 Transfer Fee most local shops charge, Used is no bargain at all.

Anyhow, I'm sure Firearms Procurement is a subject for another forum (though I'm the one who brought it up).

I should be happy - I was told I will be getting Class A Unrestricted in a Red City. And I am.

My boss is requiring me to get it for the business - which is ok. However, he does not understand the difficulty. He is not pleased it is taking so long (and it's only been a month). His advice is I call the LO every day and demand my License ! Sure, that'd work.

Last edited:
7weeks 3days LTC-A no restrictions.
Just got it today.
11/19 applied/fingerprinted
12/19 firearms record bureau received it
12/31 activated
1/10 in LTC in hand

Mike

Not in the process, yet, but what are the prospects for non-resident? At a minimum, I'd like to be able to take my grand kids to the range when I come to visit. The process seems formidable. Looking at a local gun club for advice and support, but appreciate any advice.

Not in the process, yet, but what are the prospects for non-resident? At a minimum, I'd like to be able to take my grand kids to the range when I come to visit. The process seems formidable. Looking at a local gun club for advice and support, but appreciate any advice.

If your talking a NR in MA, it's not worth it. $100 a year and you must come to Chelsea each year to renew, and there are lengthy delays in issuing. Take the grandkids to the range when they visit you, in your home state.

Here's mine:

11/20/2012 - Dropped off application and check
11/21/2012 - Interview and prints taken
12/3/2012 - Check deposited
1/4/2013 - Postmarked from PD
1/10/2013 - LTC-A arrived, no restrictions!

So...a total of 50 days which is pretty nice (but sure felt a lot longer!)

Here's mine:

11/20/2012 - Dropped off application and check
11/21/2012 - Interview and prints taken
12/3/2012 - Check deposited
1/4/2013 - Postmarked from PD
1/10/2013 - LTC-A arrived, no restrictions!

So...a total of 50 days which is pretty nice (but sure felt a lot longer!)

Town?

Back
Top Bottom