How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Update in Chicopee, interviewed on 12/20.. called FRB today and told me the police station was still working on background checks and the last update was 12/20 (the day I interviewed). So it's been 30 days and they haven't even sent it to the FRB yet.

EDIT - Actually 20 days, I can't into math apparently. Feels like its been a lot longer, I guess I'm less worried that they are jerking me around now though.

Last edited:
Update in Chicopee, interviewed on 12/20.. called FRB today and told me the police station was still working on background checks and the last update was 12/20 (the day I interviewed). So it's been 30 days and they haven't even sent it to the FRB yet.

EDIT - Actually 20 days, I can't into math apparently. Feels like its been a lot longer, I guess I'm less worried that they are jerking me around now though.

My LO filled out all the forms online right at my interview, and submitted them there.

Seven days later the FRB printed and mailed my LTC.

Three weeks later and my Background Checks are still not complete, so my LO has not yet released my License.

CONCLUSION: Either Chicopee does not use the Online System, or they are putting you through the "Initiation" (as I choose to call it).

In my experience the FRB should have at least received your application within 2-3 days from your Interview.

You'd think the Police would realize that Legal Gun Owners are ON THEIR SIDE. It's the ILLEGAL owners that are a threat to the Police, not us.

Been over 20 days since appointment in woburn,called the frb to check on the status and was told that it is still pending review with woburn pd.
They did however cash my check 2 weeks ago

Last edited:
Been over 20 days since appointment in woburn,called the frb to check on the status and was told that it is still pending review with woburn pd.
They did however cash my check 2 weeks ago

Put application in dec13th, interviewed and prints. Spoke to Frb today, they still don't have my info. Check not cashed yet...... 4weeks today

Put application in dec13th, interviewed and prints. Spoke to Frb today, they still don't have my info. Check not cashed yet...... 4weeks today

Bad News.

I also interviewed Dec 13th. The FRB printed and mailed my LTC Dec 20th. The LO has not released it to me yet.

Sounds like you're three weeks behind me - and counting.

Hey bud, i am hopeful it is the State police i am waiting on? I did everything on dec 13th, hopefully it was sent out next day or even monday . Did you say you think i might be about 3weeks behind you? Did you start on dec 13th? Hoping for the best! Maybe 8 weeks total

Hey bud, i am hopeful it is the State police i am waiting on? I did everything on dec 13th, hopefully it was sent out next day or even monday . Did you say you think i might be about 3weeks behind you? Did you start on dec 13th? Hoping for the best! Maybe 8 weeks total

I don't know much - really.

But I interviewed with my LO Dec 13th, and FRB mailed my LTC Dec 20th. My LO says my "Background Check" is incomplete, and when it is complete, they'll call me.

So my LTC had been with the LO for three weeks. It's been one month total from my Interview.

If the FRB has not even received your application yet, that would suck. I would interpret that to mean your LO is sitting on it, and that when they finally get the Application from your LO, they will then print your LTC and mail it to your LO, and then the Background Check wait begins.

But like I said, I'm just guessing. You might receive your LTC before me.

Still, in my experience, the FRB was pretty quick. The Background Check (with the State Police ? With the FBI ?) is slowwwww.

BTW, I've lived in MA my entire life. If someone has lived in multiple States, might the Background Checks take even longer ? Don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know much - really.

But I interviewed with my LO Dec 13th, and FRB mailed my LTC Dec 20th. My LO says my "Background Check" is incomplete, and when it is complete, they'll call me.

So my LTC had been with the LO for three weeks. It's been one month total from my Interview.

If the FRB has not even received your application yet, that would suck. I would interpret that to mean your LO is sitting on it, and that when they finally get the Application from your LO, they will then print your LTC and mail it to your LO, and then the Background Check wait begins.

But like I said, I'm just guessing. You might receive your LTC before me.

Still, in my experience, the FRB was pretty quick. The Background Check (with the State Police ? With the FBI ?) is slowwwww.

BTW, I've lived in MA my entire life. If someone has lived in multiple States, might the Background Checks take even longer ? Don't know.

Hey thanks for being there ,i know it sucks. Frb did say once we get it, it takes us two to process, so i am praying that it is at sp office and they are overwelhmwed. I hope you get yours soon too. We are just waiting! Best of luck my friend!

Hey thanks for being there ,i know it sucks. Frb did say once we get it, it takes us two to process, so i am praying that it is at sp office and they are overwelhmwed. I hope you get yours soon too. We are just waiting! Best of luck my friend!

It does sound like the SP is the big roadblock.

For me, that is a good thing, 'cause I want to believe my LO is not sitting on my LTC. And I sure don't want to bother or blame them for something beyond their control. They have been nothing but nice to me.

If your talking a NR in MA, it's not worth it. $100 a year and you must come to Chelsea each year to renew, and there are lengthy delays in issuing. Take the grandkids to the range when they visit you, in your home state.

Thanks for the candid response, that is what I feared. Sad state of affairs. I will take them here, to be sure. We'll just find something else to do in MA.
I look forward to following the forum posts, as your situation is so different from mine. Best of luck, y'all.

so got denied on dec. 14 for past driving history to many violations havent had a violation in 4 years now so kind of ridiculous. have a laywer so should be taking care of this crap but its costing me alot but its worth it to me i do not have any criminal things or felonys so i think i got a good shot. any replies

so got denied on dec. 14 for past driving history to many violations havent had a violation in 4 years now so kind of ridiculous. have a laywer so should be taking care of this crap but its costing me alot but its worth it to me i do not have any criminal things or felonys so i think i got a good shot. any replies

"Driving History" ?

I know DUI = Fail.

But I can't see denial for any Driving Offense that did not conclude with an Arrest.

Last edited:

I'm Curious on what type and quantity of incidents were on your record.

I live in Fall River. Took me 9 months total from the time I got the ball rolling to the time I had my LTC in my hand. That was with 3 good references. 1 was a retired Mass state trooper of 30 years (high ranking), my 2nd is a current New Bedford P.D. Narc, and my 3rd is an ltc/f.i.d card holder of over 30 years. The N.B.P.D. officer even called the Chief of police and dropped a good word for me. The reason it took so long I think was my own fault. I claimed no criminal record what so ever and got a letter back saying "incidents in your past have suspended your firearm application. Until these incidents have been explained in detail, your application is suspended indefinately". Well I had to write a letter back explaining why I got arrested when I was 18 with a 30 pack of beer in my car. I simply b.s.'ed a bit and said I was asked to transport the beer to a party but had no intention on drinking any. (yeah right!) Since it was unopened it was plausable. I also explained that the chatges were said to be "continued without a finding" so it was my understanding that the incident was no longer on my record. I said I honestly didn't know I was lying on my application. Not long after that letter i received my LTC with no restrictions in the mail. My advice is come clean initially, and have really solid references. I think if mine weren't so strong, I may have only received an F.i.d. card.

I live in Fall River. Took me 9 months total from the time I got the ball rolling to the time I had my LTC in my hand. That was with 3 good references. 1 was a retired Mass state trooper of 30 years (high ranking), my 2nd is a current New Bedford P.D. Narc, and my 3rd is an ltc/f.i.d card holder of over 30 years. The N.B.P.D. officer even called the Chief of police and dropped a good word for me. The reason it took so long I think was my own fault. I claimed no criminal record what so ever and got a letter back saying "incidents in your past have suspended your firearm application. Until these incidents have been explained in detail, your application is suspended indefinately". Well I had to write a letter back explaining why I got arrested when I was 18 with a 30 pack of beer in my car. I simply b.s.'ed a bit and said I was asked to transport the beer to a party but had no intention on drinking any. (yeah right!) Since it was unopened it was plausable. I also explained that the chatges were said to be "continued without a finding" so it was my understanding that the incident was no longer on my record. I said I honestly didn't know I was lying on my application. Not long after that letter i received my LTC with no restrictions in the mail. My advice is come clean initially, and have really solid references. I think if mine weren't so strong, I may have only received an F.i.d. card.

Yes, this is something Mass Firearms emphacizes in its Class. Be Honest about your Record.

I even reported a very minor incident from 25 years ago.

The LO looked at it, and dismissed it. But they did appreciate my honesty.

My advice is REPORT EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom