• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you secure your weapons for travel?

Hi ALl,

Right now I have 3 firearms, and dealing with 3 different cable locks is starting to be a pain in the ass.

What do you do? Trigger locks keyed alike? Skip the individual locks and get a travel case that is lockable?

locking cases with padlocks. Single lock on each case fulfills legal requirements as far as I've been able to find out. I am not a lawyer though, this is just how I transport mine.

If they are Handguns, get small cases with Combo-Locks. Set them all to the same Combo.

They have these everywhere: Gun Shops, Target, Walmart, Amazon, eBay, Staples, Harbor Freight, etc.

using combination cable locks for all 5 cases, and yes all with the same combination
Hi ALl,

Right now I have 3 firearms, and dealing with 3 different cable locks is starting to be a pain in the ass.

What do you do? Trigger locks keyed alike? Skip the individual locks and get a travel case that is lockable?

Hi ALl,

Assuming you're in Mass, trigger locks (on the actual trigger) can not be used to comply with transport requirements--they're only acceptable for storage. Most transport requires a locked case, which a trunk is considered acceptable. For SUV or pickup you'd need a locked case, which a soft case is okay.

If you have one of those cable locks that come with a pistol then you can sometimes take that and wrap it around the handle on the case to make it compliant. It's a little awkward but it works for most glock and sig provided locks and cases.

see http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/196124-transporting-dissalembed.html

FOR ME:

soft cases to prevent scratching, unloaded, put in trunk

handgun under direct control

Last edited:
Hi ALl,

Are you in MA? In MA, a trigger lock is not sufficient to meet the law. From MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c:
unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container

Full text here: General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131C

Hi ALl,

Depends on the type of firearm and whether or not it's "large capacity."

As others have said, trigger or cable locks are OK for storage (not in a vehicle, anyway... others will correct me if I'm wrong but storage in a vehicle seems to be a grey area -- I mean the "cabin", not trunks). For transport, handguns and "large capacity" long guns must be in a locked container of some sort.

Save yourself some hassle and buy some boxes or soft cases that you can lock. If a cable lock run through the hole in the old Glock tupperware is OK (there's caselaw to support this) then I imagine a soft case with a padlock through the zipper pulls is also OK.

Of course, this is MA... so caveat emptor, IANAL, YMMV, etc. etc.

Just a newb with 1 handgun and 1 rifle.

Handgun I used to lock in a case, now I just throw it in my jacket pocket.

Rifle I have a zipper only soft case, cable lock through the rifle. I drive a truck so it's in the xtra cab, not sure if I'm legal enough.

Rifle I have a zipper only soft case, cable lock through the rifle. I drive a truck so it's in the xtra cab, not sure if I'm legal enough.

Sorry, not legal except if a low-capacity rifle and even then most officers won't know the difference and assume otherwise to your detriment.

See the post above with the citation.

Technically you're not, but if you put the cable lock through the zipper instead you would be. Make sense?

What kind of rifle is it? If it is large capacity, then no, you are not legal -- it must be in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container. Putting a cable lock through the rifle is not a locked case.

My Rifle/Shotgun Soft Case has a place to place a cheap little Travel Padlock, which meets the law. Long Gun must also be unloaded while in Transport.

Unload the Long Gun, lock it in a case, HIDE THE CASE, and you will have met the Law and avoided trouble.

Ammo can be in the case, or not. HIDE IT.

IANAL

READ THIS: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html#transporting

Last edited:
We use a large hard long gun case with a lock on it if we are transporting multiple pistols in MA. Unloaded, locked in the trunk of the car.

I use a soft case from walmart for a few bucks. and keep the lock on it. Just incase I go somewhere and cant take the gun. Got a 5 pack of locks so they are all the same dont have to fumble with 5 keys.

I have always wanted to build something like this for my truck.

is.aspx

Even the basic TruckVaults and their competitors are upwards of $1k. I've always thought a carpenter with some cabinet slides could do it for less than that, or a machinist with some sheet metal... but I know I certainly can't.

I have 2 cases that are lockable 1 rifle case that will hold 2 rifles and a case the other will hold 8 pistols. Both are made by Storm Case and are expensive but they are very sturdy and should fullfill the Ma transport law. Average cost $200 each. More info on them at the Pelican co website.

Depends on where I am going in state just throw it on the seat or if taking a few then in cases in the back seat or hatch. Out of State locked in hard cases in the hatch..

Back
Top Bottom