• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Soften a new Leather Sling

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
Been using a borrowed sling for smallbore bullseye shooting. Finally got around to buying a new leather sling from Champions Choice. Sling was delivered today and it is very stiff.

What can I use on it to soften it up and also protect it at the same time? Could I use something like mink oil?

I didn't realize it came like that. I thought you were going full Montana on us. I'll give it a shot too. Thanks!
You're original assumption was correct. We rendered about 30 pounds of bear fat this fall. Use it for cooking, but also on our boots. Stuff is amazing.

Hey, when in Rome 😎

I use the paste version (linked) or their leather oil both work great.

I use the paste version (linked) or their leather oil both work great.

The guy who I borrowed the sling from recommended the Obenauf's

I’ve found using the silicone release agent, while it is still stiff most of the problems are resolved and after you use it just breaks it nicely… some weather conditioners is always a good idea too especially as ages and gets wet

I have a few leather slings for service rifle. Im not a heavy use competitor but
Turner says they are treated from the factory and to go very light on any oils after 1 year of use.
I did oil one and I hate it now. Its soft and spongy like pat says.

Also , wish I saved the email
Ron Brown slings told me no oils , treated to last years . Was told I should wear it out before it needs any treatment.

Use it it will “loosen” up.
I have 3 slings in use and I like how the Ron Brown setvice rifle slings have kept there firmness.
The Turner is feeling spongy they get equal use. The oiled spoungy one is on my 513t

Last edited:
I've got a Turner and I was advised to NOT use chems to accelerate new break-in. I was told a slick trick to use a deep automotive socket at 180 degrees on a flat table and just work it back and fourth with wood blocks. Like mac1911 advised the best break-in is to just use as intended .

View attachment 852021

View attachment 852022
Yup , i used neetsfeet on one sling. Did not like the results
Turner recommended there own product but advised only after heavy use and only light application to smooth side Turner Military Leather Dressing - Turner Saddlery

My slings are not subjected to much weather other than the SUN when on the line.
Rifles I would carry into really harsh weather will have synthetic slings on them.

I've got a Turner and I was advised to NOT use chems to accelerate new break-in. I was told a slick trick to use a deep automotive socket at 180 degrees on a flat table and just work it back and fourth with wood blocks. Like mac1911 advised the best break-in is to just use as intended .

I like this idea. I'm going to give it a try and use the sling before I put anything on it.

I like this idea. I'm going to give it a try and use the sling before I put anything on it.
Good plan. Try nothing but break-in first.

Absolutely do not use neatsfoot oil or similar. You'll get that stretchy sponge that @mac1911 mentioned.

I do use just a little Turner Saddlery dressing on my Ron Brown slings. Didn't really soften them but gave a little water protection. Last couple years I have been completely drenched at Camp Perry and Camp Ethan Allen. Ended up laying in 3" of water during a stage at Camp Ethan Allen. Sling is still GTG.

Good plan. Try nothing but break-in first.

Absolutely do not use neatsfoot oil or similar. You'll get that stretchy sponge that @mac1911 mentioned.

I do use just a little Turner Saddlery dressing on my Ron Brown slings. Didn't really soften them but gave a little water protection. Last couple years I have been completely drenched at Camp Perry and Camp Ethan Allen. Ended up laying in 3" of water during a stage at Camp Ethan Allen. Sling is still GTG.

Wow , thats crazy ! How were you able to keep your rapid mags from getting submerged ? Technically your mags need to be on your mat and alls you can do prior to the start is rest your hand on the mags ?

Wow , thats crazy ! How were you able to keep your rapid mags from getting submerged ? Technically your mags need to be on your mat and alls you can do prior to the start is rest your hand on the mags ?
I have pockets on the front of my Creedmoor cart / stool. In such a deluge nobody expects you to leave your mags (or clips for vintage) in water. I'll say this- there was zero accommodation for that rain and the timing for the various stages ran by the rules, as they should.

Mags on mat- are those NRA rules? I'm not aware of such a rule for CMP.

I believe you can keep your mags anywhere except attached to the rifle, or on your person, which includes your lap

Edit. I meant can not be on your lap.

Last edited:
The simplest answer to the original question, “how do I soften it?”, is use it. Do not use any leather treatments. A top quality sling, and anything from Champions Choice is probably top quality, needs no additives.

Back
Top Bottom