• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats the new hot LPVO?

If I was to get an LPVO, it would be a S&B PM2 1-8 Short Dot Dual CC, because it is MY funeral.

Old tech. March 1-10 dual focal plane is a better version of the concept.

But really, new new hotness in LPVOs?

Kahles just released their K18i-2. At 1x it has 150 foot FOV at 100 yards. Insane.

It’s heavier (22oz) than the previous K18i though, as they moved up to 34mm tube to increase robustness. I imagine for military users who enjoy their optics but are hesitant on durability.

Unfortunately, it’s between $2,600 and $3k depending on where/discounts.

Last edited:
I own the same scope as the OP, the Viper PST 1-6 gen 2. I wanted to upgrade to the NX8 for the longest time. Every time I have the money to do so, I look through the Vortex and ask myself if the NF is really three times better for three times the price. Now, keep in mind that I’m weird. I prefer SFP, MOA over mil, and simple reticles over Xmas trees. The Vortex was my choice at the time because of its value. I’m not a Vortex fan at all, and the Viper 1-6 and Razor are pretty much the only ones of their products I would ever own. It’s just the shaky rep they have. But the Viper has a daylight visible dot, which is the major selling point. The tracking is right, and the glass is absolutely acceptable. I could sell the viper and add a couple hundred bucks, and (through the employee purchase of my current employer) go for the scope that the army has chosen in FFP for their DMR program, or in SFP for the speshl forces SOPMOD program. I just don’t see the need, really, and I am an optics snob (only NF for higher mag, and Aimpoint for red dots) When it comes to anything but 22 lr or pistols (RMR).

I have a Vortex 1-6, and it's a decent piece of glass. Unfortunately, I can't see the targets at 500 yards clearly enough, (need more magnification). I recently bought a Sig Tango-MSR 1-10 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm NOT a precision shooter, my goal is to hit the equivalent of the "A" zone from pointblank out to 500 yards. This glass is sufficient for that purpose.

I have a Vortex 1-6, and it's a decent piece of glass. Unfortunately, I can't see the targets at 500 yards clearly enough, (need more magnification). I recently bought a Sig Tango-MSR 1-10 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm NOT a precision shooter, my goal is to hit the equivalent of the "A" zone from pointblank out to 500 yards. This glass is sufficient for that purpose.
I fall off around 450 with the viper2, less with rapid fallowup shots

I have a the gen III Razor 1-10 and I regret not getting the Gen IIe Razor 1-6 for half the price.

The reticle illumination goes in and out depending on what angle you’re looking through the glass. To the point I’m probably going to call Vortex about it.

And with the extra length vs the Gen IIe, it requires having the stock all the way out and it still doesn’t seem long enough, atleast for my face and arm length.

I’m usually a red dot cures all kinda guy, so this is not really my wheel house, but my eyes kinda suck now.

Ps. I also forget to shut the reticle off like 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Viper PST 1-6 gen 2
i have that, have 1-10x lpvo that is decent but not as good, and i think the consensus now is that all new 1-10x are still not where it should be, optically, and the 1-8x is the sweet spot for decent lpvo optics.

overpaying for those optics, also, seems to be very odd to me, as you want generally a very clear undistorted 1x from the lpvo first, and clear enough 6x-8x range, but it is odd to think one would use rifle with an lpvo beyond 300 yds.

10x is good when you want to see bullet holes at 100yds. for range fun it matters, for real life - absolutely not. so far in comparable price sector i did not see anything better than 1-6x pst2 vortex, and not sure if i care to keep lookings. in dirt cheap lpvo sector PA made one recently, and arken made one recently.

Hot is what you like and are good with. Don’t fall for what someone likes and how many followers they have on YouTube.

Especially when marketing departments have gotten really good and creative at drumming up false excitement. Using bots and the like to create a bunch of traffic to their social media sites and fake followers. Doing so gets their brand in front of more eyes. The more prominent the following for a company, the more prevalent the social media companies will make their brand. That's how they're algorithms work. Many marketing folks have figured out how to take advantage of this.

I have a the gen III Razor 1-10 and I regret not getting the Gen IIe Razor 1-6 for half the price.

The reticle illumination goes in and out depending on what angle you’re looking through the glass. To the point I’m probably going to call Vortex about it.

And with the extra length vs the Gen IIe, it requires having the stock all the way out and it still doesn’t seem long enough, atleast for my face and arm length.

I’m usually a red dot cures all kinda guy, so this is not really my wheel house, but my eyes kinda suck now.

Ps. I also forget to shut the reticle off like 99% of the time.
The scopes are the same length. Sounds like you need to adjust your mount or position of the optic within the mount. The 1-6 has slightly longer eye relief and a better exit pupil, but the longer eye relief is irrelevant given how much both have.
The exit pupil can be troubling for some people but so can it be on the NX8 the OP mentioned.

My biggest issue with the 1-10 is at its original price it was incredibly competitive (when I got it) then they proceed to price themselves out within short order.

The scopes are the same length. Sounds like you need to adjust your mount or position of the optic within the mount. The 1-6 has slightly longer eye relief and a better exit pupil, but the longer eye relief is irrelevant given how much both have.
The exit pupil can be troubling for some people but so can it be on the NX8 the OP mentioned.

My biggest issue with the 1-10 is at its original price it was incredibly competitive (when I got it) then they proceed to price themselves out within short order.
Nope. It’s all the way forward in the mount and on the receiver pic rail.

334E207D-669E-4D93-8178-2438CB8BA8F7.jpeg

It could be the mount itself is not extended forward enough and preventing the optic from going any further forward I guess. When compared side-by-side to a mounted Gen 2 on a Gieselle mount it was set back another 3/4” or so past the back of the receiver.

I’m actually starting to wonder if it’s the mount now.

Are you having the illuminated reticle issue I described?

Last edited:

Nope. It’s all the way forward in the mount and on the receiver pic rail.

View attachment 848089

It could be the mount itself is not offset enough and preventing the optic from going any further forward I guess. When compared side-by-side to a mounted Gen 2 on a Gieselle mount it was set back another 3/4” or so past the back of the receiver.

I’m actually starting to wonder if it’s the mount now.

Are you having the illuminated reticle issue I described?

The scopes are the same overall length, but the relative location of the center turret varies:

1-10:
1707427272984.png
1-6:
1707427292182.png

Back
Top Bottom