• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats the new hot LPVO?

AJK129

NES Member
Ive been using a Vortex pst2 1-6, its good but I feel like I wish it had ffp and a little bit more to it.

I feel like the answer im looking for is a NX8 with the dmx reticle, bit I figure I'll get other opinions too.

Ive been using a Vortex pst2 1-6, its good but I feel like I wish it had ffp and a little bit more to it.

I feel like the answer im looking for is a NX8 with the dmx reticle, bit I figure I'll get other opinions too.
Did you hold back on us with the NES lottery ticket GB?

No beer and pizza for you!

Many years ago I heard of “night force” from a distributor, and thought yay, another crap Chinese company with a stupid name.

Oops… could have gotten them at wholesale back then…

ETA: not a joke. Seriously heard the name and instantly dismissed them. Doh.

Hot is what you like and are good with. Don’t fall for what someone likes and how many followers they have on YouTube.
Ive really only used the vortex, looked through a friends NF and its definitely better, Im just trying to see what other people are thinking now. Im also not looking on YT for it. Im sure theres people who could name random scopes I didn't think to look at that would fit what Im looking for too

NX8 is great. I was in-between that and the Primary Arms PLX compact. I got both and I can say that both have their advantages.

Pros - NX8 has a daylight illuminated reticle which is as bright as any red dot. PLX c has the widest FOV on the market and incredibly clear glass. Both are around the same weight which is around 17.6 oz. I think PLX c is slightly lighter at 17 oz or something which is a negligible difference.

Cons - NX8 has some of the worst eye relief and FOV. You really have to have a consistent cheek weld to get a good sight picture especially at higher mag. I'll add that you see more of the tube than on the PLX c. I'm sure it has to do with FOV and how it was designed. PLX c has terrible illumination. At the highest illum it's blood red in a bright daylight environment.

Overall I actually prefer the PLX c. NX8 is proven to be bombproof but I'm not going to war so give me FOV, eye relief and clear glass any day of the week. The reticle in the PLX c really help draws my eye to the middle so the poor illumination isn't a huge problem. Fun fact, Primary Arms could have produced the PLX c with daylight bright illumination but the cost would have pushed it past $1500. They wanted to stay within the sub $1500 price range. I got mine for $1350 OTD.

I'll throw a other LPVO into the mix just to f with you. Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6 has been the gold standard for the past decade. It's heavier at 21.5 oz but it's got daylight bright illumination and among the best FOV and eye relief on the market. A lot of comp shooters still pick these up over the current gen 1-10 Razors. I don't own this so I can't give my opinion on it but all three, the NX8, PLX c and Razor Gen II-E are around the same price. Good hunting.

Ive really only used the vortex, looked through a friends NF and its definitely better, Im just trying to see what other people are thinking now. Im also not looking on YT for it. Im sure theres people who could name random scopes I didn't think to look at that would fit what Im looking for too
I have 3 vortex lpvo’s I’m happy.

So do not let me look through your NF!

NX8 is great. I was in-between that and the Primary Arms PLX compact. I got both and I can say that both have their advantages.

Pros - NX8 has a daylight illuminated reticle which is as bright as any red dot. PLX c has the widest FOV on the market and incredibly clear glass. Both are around the same weight which is around 17.6 oz. I think PLX c is slightly lighter at 17 oz or something which is a negligible difference.

Cons - NX8 has some of the worst eye relief and FOV. You really have to have a consistent cheek weld to get a good sight picture especially at higher mag. I'll add that you see more of the tube than on the PLX c. I'm sure it has to do with FOV and how it was designed. PLX c has terrible illumination. At the highest illum it's blood red in a bright daylight environment.

Overall I actually prefer the PLX c. NX8 is proven to be bombproof but I'm not going to war so give me FOV, eye relief and clear glass any day of the week. The reticle in the PLX c really help draws my eye to the middle so the poor illumination isn't a huge problem. Fun fact, Primary Arms could have produced the PLX c with daylight bright illumination but the cost would have pushed it past $1500. They wanted to stay within the sub $1500 price range. I got mine for $1350 OTD.

I'll throw a other LPVO into the mix just to f with you. Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6 has been the gold standard for the past decade. It's heavier at 21.5 oz but it's got daylight bright illumination and among the best FOV and eye relief on the market. A lot of comp shooters still pick these up over the current gen 1-10 Razors. I don't own this so I can't give my opinion on it but all three, the NX8, PLX c and Razor Gen II-E are around the same price. Good hunting.
The PLX looks good, wasn't something I had considered but it seems to fit what im looking for.

Ive used the nightforce atacr and leupold mk6 primarily, they're both pretty solid, i prefer higher mag optics to lpvos personally but im weird.

Kahles makes a great 1-8 too.

I have the Vortex Razor HD Gen IIe. I’d say that the eye relief isn’t great and it is heavy. Out to 100 yards, I much prefer my Aimpoint red dot with a 3x magnifier. YMMV. Yeah, I know, not helpful in typical NES fashion.

Ive used the nightforce atacr and leupold mk6 primarily, they're both pretty solid, i prefer higher mag optics to lpvos personally but im weird.

Kahles makes a great 1-8 too.
I was briefly thinking about a completely different build and doing a 3-15 w/a red dot on it, but the majority of my shooting tops out at about 500 yards anyway unless im shooting a bigger caliber

I have the Vortex Razor HD Gen IIe. I’d say that the eye relief isn’t great and it is heavy. Out to 100 yards, I much prefer my Aimpoint red dot with a 3x magnifier. YMMV. Yeah, I know, not helpful in typical NES fashion.
Still helpful, the razor was my first thought, it seems like reviews are saying the primary arms has the better eye relief

I’ve got a new DMX reticle NX8 coming from NF. If it comes anytime soon, I’ll share my thoughts.

Real “new hotness”: March 34mm 1-10 shorty dual focal plane. But $$$$

Under-rated optic hotness: Trijicon TR25 1-6 with mil-dot reticle. Very nice field of view and glass. SFP, but with a 6x top end that’s not a deal breaker and even helps sight picture acquisition if the fiber optic isn’t bright in a random situation. Only downside is it uses a wire reticle instead of etched. I’ve never heard of the TR25 reticle delaminating, but it certainly has happened with that style of reticle. It’s fairly light too.

I’ve almost bought the PLx-C a couple times and even cancelled my order when it was about to ship once. I just can’t get over the chevron reticles. I hate chevrons.

Last edited:
I’ve got a new DMX reticle NX8 coming direct from NF. If it comes anytime soon, I’ll share my thoughts.

Real “new hotness”: March 34mm 1-10 shorty dual focal plane. But $$$$

Under-rated optic hotness: Trijicon TR25 1-6 with mil-dot reticle. Very nice field of view and glass. SFP, but with a 6x top end that’s not a deal breaker and even helps sight picture acquisition of the fiber optic isn’t bright in a random situation. Only downside is it uses a wire reticle instead of etched. I’ve never heard of the TR25 reticle delaminating, but it certainly has happened with that style of reticle. It’s fairly light too.

I’ve almost bought the PLx-C a couple times and even cancelled my order when it was about to ship once. I just can’t get over the chevron reticles. I hate chevrons.
The chevron is whats holding me back on the PLx-C too. I was just looking into the Eotech vudu 1-10, I found one for significantly less than the gen 3 razor, seems like the biggest negative people are saying is the brightness

The chevron is whats holding me back on the PLx-C too. I was just looking into the Eotech vudu 1-10, I found one for significantly less than the gen 3 razor, seems like the biggest negative people are saying is the brightness

Yeah, the Gen III priced itself out of its class.

Some people seem to really like the Vudu 1-10

I'm still rocking the Luepold MRT2 1.5-5x on my primary.

I have a Leupold Mark 5HD 2-10x for my AR10 arriving Tuesday.
Im almost thinking the answer isn't another lpvo, a 2-10 would pretty much do what I want and I could stick an rmr on there for 1x

Doesn’t say if it’s still for sale but it’s up since 2021, which might get you a better price if still interested.

Doesn’t say if it’s still for sale but it’s up since 2021, which might get you a better price if still interested.
Thats the 1-6 not 1-10 though, I did see that

I'm still rocking the Luepold MRT2 1.5-5x on my primary.

I have a Leupold Mark 5HD 2-10x for my AR10 arriving Tuesday.
Ended up grabbing a Mark 5 on sale, gonna do some scope shuffling but I think it makes more sense than what I was trying to do in my head

an overall consensus is that most new 1-10x lpvo are of inferior image quality compared to 1-8x, and majority of top tier ones remain at 1-8x.
there are several of 1-10x models now in the lower price range, they are all mostly comparable - from arken, primary arms, swampfox, etc.
they all are reasonable adequate in under 100 yds range.

i would think twice before shelling out for a top tier $2k one, to be honest, it has to be seriously justified for that, where and when it will be used.

Top tier glass proves its worth when you shoot all day or in low light condition.

Take a two day training course. Use a "mid-tier" scope for one day and a top tier one for the second day and find out how your eyes and shooting results feel about the investment.

Or go outside at dawn, dusk or a half to full moon night and compare a $2k scope to a $500-1k scope. The difference is what you pay for.

Or go outside at dawn, dusk or a half to full moon
yeah, it`s not my use case. and i bet it will make a difference. but, to rest in my safe safely - the swampfox does same good job as a razor.

an overall consensus is that most new 1-10x lpvo are of inferior image quality compared to 1-8x, and majority of top tier ones remain at 1-8x.
there are several of 1-10x models now in the lower price range, they are all mostly comparable - from arken, primary arms, swampfox, etc.
they all are reasonable adequate in under 100 yds range.

i would think twice before shelling out for a top tier $2k one, to be honest, it has to be seriously justified for that, where and when it will be used.

Delta has a 1-10x28 Stryker coming out soon. Seems promising at only a hair over 21oz and comes with adjustable parallax to take advantage of the 10x at range with image focus. But the reticle … not digging it, personally.

25C9CCF7-0E76-437D-958D-2C91CEE94285.jpeg
EE59B641-8FAA-40E4-A73F-3A2FC5701852.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom