• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you react when you get robbed?

IvIax

Banned
My friend just got robbed last week and he was asking me about the firearm permit and carry weapons info. At the beginning i was glad, not that he got robbed, he realized guns are not evil. After listen to him for what happened. I was not positive a ccw will help in this case. So...a big guy pointed a pistol at him and ordered him to lay on the ground (face down). Then he was asked to throw all the valuable stuff back to the robber while the criminal was behind him. The robber hit him in the head and left him unconscious for a few seconds while he's running away.

I don't see a slim chance he could draw a weapon and have you imagined anything like this in your practice and how will you react?

If you point a gun at me I'm not about to wait for you to try and rob me. At that point it's about the lethal threat, and not about the robbery.

Need more detail on what happened I think, what was the situation where the big guy walked up on him? At some point they were facing each other, and at what distance?

The one time I had a pistol pointed at me I just ran. Neither one of us really had time to react. Yet I still never felt so slow in my life...

Ummm.... Sometimes bad guys get drop on ya. Situational awareness is greater than firearm in such cases.

there are times when being armed will do you no good whatsoever.
Yeah...if someone really has the drop on you add already has a gun pointed at your face before you can even think about drawing then I don't know. Making a furtive movement and trying to get your gun is probably going to get you killed. I'd bet a lot of petty thief losers like in the op are bluffing and don't have the balls to pull the trigger but it's not a wager I'd want to take in that moment.

Its more likely air soft. Felons know that they are on hook for ADW no matter what. No need to add REAL firearm charge to mix.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Is that actually common? Something you've seen?

Yes. More than a few times. Air soft for 2 reasons:

1. They aren't street enough to get a real one.

2. They are smart enough to not compound the problems they already have from the robbery. They generally just want your money and your shit.

Think about it. Its mass. They'll get firearms posession, ammo poses soon, possibly high cap mag possession. They may even get tied to the larceny (usually) that was required to get gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...if someone really has the drop on you add already has a gun pointed at your face before you can even think about drawing then I don't know. Making a furtive movement and trying to get your gun is probably going to get you killed. I'd bet a lot of petty thief losers like in the op are bluffing and don't have the balls to pull the trigger but it's not a wager I'd want to take in that moment.

have had two guns stuck in my face when I was younger.one in a different country..at the time I wasnt carrying as it was 15-20 years ago. but that wouldnt have mad a difference. the gun was allready out and in my face. let me tell you it scares the s**t out of you Period!!

This is why if I am out and I have a jacket the gun is in the jacket pocket. The perp would think you were going into your pocket for the valuables. Empty the magazine into him. I would hope to have seen him coming and prepared for a confrontation but I think it is hard to say what you would actually do until you live it.
This is the main reason I like pocket carry as well.

I was thinking about that video when I started reading this thread! Of course you better be practicing those moves every day if you hope to pull it off in real life.

That being said, I would not allow myself to be put on the ground to be pistol whipped or possibly executed if I had my heater on me. I don't relish the thought of getting shot, but I'd probably take my chances when I actually had a chance. Once you're face down you are beyond that point. Like Roland mentioned a few posts back, situational awareness is the biggest advantage you have whether armed or not!

I was thinking. The criminal just wanted the money and he's not aware the victim was packing heat or not. Maybe confrontation was not a good idea when you were gun pointed. I did not know how it started btw.

Personally, I hear of way too many instances where people comply with the guys demands 100% and still get shot in the face while standing there with their hands up in the air. Sitting here in the comfort of my own home with no stranger pointing a gun at me, I'd like to say I'd take a chance and swipe at the gun/run. Whether I actually have the presence of mind to do that if I found myself in that situation, I cant say for sure. Its just that too many people end up dead after giving up the cash and not resisting.

I don't see a slim chance he could draw a weapon and have you imagined anything like this in your practice and how will you react?

The nice thing about New England is that for a good part of the year, it's chilly enough to wear a jacket and very normal to keep your hands in the pockets to keep warm.

The nice thing about a J-frame .357 is that you don't need to take it out of your pocket to blow through all 5 rounds; it probably won't jam.

Does that answer your question?

Need more detail on what happened I think, what was the situation where the big guy walked up on him? At some point they were facing each other, and at what distance?
Iraq and Astan military vets probably have pretty good technique.

Back
Top Bottom