How do you carry? Update, issue with Alien Gear IWB Holster

Just jumped into the fray for carrying for the first time. Don't want to get into a debate about the choice of firearms, but rather the style of carry. It is a sub compact pistol, so that is that.

What are the options?

There is pocket carry pros/cons?

IWB. Pros/Cons? I am looking at this option, but not sure where the position would be, such as a 3'oclock position and such. Also, I have 2 options, loose weight or get bigger pants?

Ankle holster, pros/cons?

Swaddled style holsters such as undertech, kangroo pouch and other similar holsters that tuck the firearm.

What are the other holster options?

Last edited:
There are lots of threads and lots of books and articles on this topic. Why not do a little research first? You have a fair number of posts, a good reputation and have been on this forum for a long time. I think you are taking the easy way out. There is a plethora of material already available on this topic. Do some research and then ask. My two euros, anyway.

What are the options?

Carry Options are vast and vary greatly...which I'm sure you're aware of since you decided to start this thread.

There is pocket carry pros/cons?

I have personally never pocket carried but, for me personally, it would need to be a very small gun to want to even try it. I carry so much other stuff in my pockets that I've never had an interest in it.

IWB. Pros/Cons? I am looking at this option, but not sure where the position would be, such as a 3'oclock position and such. Also, I have 2 options, loose weight or get bigger pants?

I carry IWB. Typically it ends up being around the 3:00 position. The majority of the time I'm carrying a Glock 26 in a G-Code Incog holster. It's used by lots of folks for apendix carry but I find it very comfortable at the 3:00 position. Like most IWB holsters, it can be worn in a variety of positions ( http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html ) . I used a Crossbreed SuperTuck for a while but the metal clips were starting to wear holes in some of my t-shirts. I'm sure I could have swapped the clips or tried a similar holster by other makers but I stumble on the Incog and it's worked well.

In regards to the lose weight or buy bigger pants question...losing weight is never a bad idea. Long term that is the answer. In the short term you could always buy a few pairs of pants that have more room in them. Unless your current pants are very tight I think with the right holster and a good belt you might be able to pull it off.

One area you didn't ask about is the belt. This is almost as important as the holster. There are several threads on here regarding belt selection. I'm a big fan of the 1.75" 5-Stitch Wilderness Instructor Belts.

Ankle holster, pros/cons?

Again, I've never personally carried this way. I can see the appeal for a secondary/backup pistol to be carried this way but I would definitely not want to have to bend all the way over and pull up a pant leg to get to my primary means of self defense.

Swaddled style holsters such as undertech, kangroo pouch and other similar holsters that tuck the firearm.

For many of the same reason I avoid ankle holsters, these just seem inconvenient to access.

I guess with any holster configuration if it is comfortable for you and you practice with it enough than it can work.

If you do have interest in the Incog or the new Incog Eclipse (haven't tried it yet) be forewarned that the lead time is significant. You'd be better off trying to find a used one in the classifieds on various firearms forums.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I carry a Sig P938 in the 3 or 4 o'clock position (depending if I'm driving) inside a Garrett IWB Silent Thunder holster - very comfortable. I ordered a Milt Sparks VM II IWB in mid September and that should be arriving shortly. As was previously stated, a good gun belt should also be considered when looking at holsters.

Last edited:
Like this.

92FS- Uncle Mike's IWB at 4 o'clock or Bianchi OWB at 3 o'clock. Occasionally a .38 snub in the pocket of my winter coat. For quick access. Then NY reload to the 92FS.

Ankle carry is for TV/movies or backup guns. Good luck getting to your ankle when someone fast-walks up on you. All you'll get is smacked in the back of your head and your gun stolen, at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a Sig P938 in the 3 or 4 o'clock position (depending if I'm driving) inside a Garrett IWB Silent Thunder holster - very comfortable. I ordered a Milt Sparks VM II in mid September and that should be arriving shortly.

Thanks, I have done quite a bit of research, as well as tried a couple different holsters on at the store, as well as listened to different people advise. There are tried and tested holsters out there, and just when I make a decision, I come across a new holster that I haven't heard of.

The firearm came with an OWB holster that works if I have a sweater on, I was carrying it around the house last night. I also have an IWB holster from my old shield that I could never get accustomed to, pretty sure it was a combination of holster and the current firearm not fitting properly.

Generally when you IWB carry, does the paint waist band size need to increase by much? I wear suits on a regular base (taking the jacket off quite often) and trying to determine if I need to get new pants which will cost me some $$ compared to alternative methods of carry.

I suppose everyone has different positions that suit different body styles and posture(s). Looking back to all you that carry, was it a trial and error in settling down on a holster?

Depends on the firearm. Which firearm I carry depends on the weather or basically what I'm wearing.

Warm weather/light clothing: LCR in a Desantis pocket holster usually in front pants/shorts pocket or even in a cargo pocket.
Cooler weather/when I usually wear a hoodie or over-shirt: Glock 19 @ 4 o'clock in a Elite soft IWB holster.
Up north/Open Carry: 1911 in a plain Jane Blackhawk OWB holster.

YMMV based on your body type and comfort levels. Listed above is what works for me.

Training/Practicing with each setup is crucial.

Thanks, I have done quite a bit of research, as well as tried a couple different holsters on at the store, as well as listened to different people advise. There are tried and tested holsters out there, and just when I make a decision, I come across a new holster that I haven't heard of.

The firearm came with an OWB holster that works if I have a sweater on, I was carrying it around the house last night. I also have an IWB holster from my old shield that I could never get accustomed to, pretty sure it was a combination of holster and the current firearm not fitting properly.

Generally when you IWB carry, does the paint waist band size need to increase by much? I wear suits on a regular base (taking the jacket off quite often) and trying to determine if I need to get new pants which will cost me some $$ compared to alternative methods of carry.

I suppose everyone has different positions that suit different body styles and posture(s). Looking back to all you that carry, was it a trial and error in settling down on a holster?

Well this is not the way to do it IMO, askin' a bunch of yayhoos on the internet. I gotta a plastic bin full of holsters if that answers your question. The only way to find out is simply try and experiment...okay? Body type and what you wear for clothes play a big part in how you CCW, as well as the type of firearm you carry. One type simply does not fit all and no matter what, there is no one perfect holster, they are all compromises.

For j frame revolvers which I am partial to, I like pocket holsters and Uncle Mike's works fine for me. You can spend more and get a better one, I suppose but it works for me. For larger frame revolvers (still carry 'em) and semi-autos I like a strong side outside the waist belt holster, no thumbreak. I like a slight forward cant. I don't have a problem with the Blackhawk Serpa Level 2, I know a lot of mall ninja elitists out there detest them, wouldn't carry one in a field environment because debris gets into the lock, the bit about ADs about the trigger finger slipping is a training shortfall, same argument that people used to make about 1911s carried cocked and locked. It's a training issue, nothing more. For field carry, I prefer some kind of a thumb break, that's traditional but I like the extra security if going over rough terrain. Also like the kydex blade tech holsters, straight cant. I do not like inside the pants holsters, never worked well for me and have absolutely no use for ankle holsters.

If you are carrying a gun on a belt holster, but a good gun belt, don't rely on a belt you bought at Sears or on Amazon.com. A good gun belt is just as important as a holster and don't rely on some internet yayhoos like me to give you advice cuz packin' is experiential,,,askin' is just plain...well for lack of a better term : stupid.

Well this is not the way to do it IMO, askin' a bunch of yayhoos on the internet. I gotta a plastic bin full of holsters if that answers your question. The only way to find out is simply try and experiment...okay? Body type and what you wear for clothes play a big part in how you CCW, as well as the type of firearm you carry. One type simply does not fit all and no matter what, there is no one perfect holster, they are all compromises.

For j frame revolvers which I am partial to, I like pocket holsters and Uncle Mike's works fine for me. You can spend more and get a better one, I suppose but it works for me. For larger frame revolvers (still carry 'em) and semi-autos I like a strong side outside the waist belt holster, no thumbreak. I like a slight forward cant. I don't have a problem with the Blackhawk Serpa Level 2, I know a lot of mall ninja elitists out there detest them, wouldn't carry one in a field environment because debris gets into the lock, the bit about ADs about the trigger finger slipping is a training shortfall, same argument that people used to make about 1911s carried cocked and locked. It's a training issue, nothing more. For field carry, I prefer some kind of a thumb break, that's traditional but I like the extra security if going over rough terrain. Also like the kydex blade tech holsters, straight cant. I do not like inside the pants holsters, never worked well for me and have absolutely no use for ankle holsters.

If you are carrying a gun on a belt holster, but a good gun belt, don't rely on a belt you bought at Sears or on Amazon.com. A good gun belt is just as important as a holster and don't rely on some internet yayhoos like me to give you advice cuz packin' is experiential,,,askin' is just plain...well for lack of a better term : stupid.

Nope, didn't state I asked fellow NER's, or as you call them " a bunch of yayhoos on the internet". I actually spoke to people at the firearms store, friends I know carry, people I see carrying. The rest of your post carries the common theme, try out and find the holster that works, as they are all different and it comes down to personal preference.

Nope, didn't state I asked fellow NER's, or as you call them " a bunch of yayhoos on the internet". I actually spoke to people at the firearms store, friends I know carry, people I see carrying. The rest of your post carries the common theme, try out and find the holster that works, as they are all different and it comes down to personal preference.

Then if you have done all this stuff, why pray tell are you positing your question to us yayhoos on the internet? [rolleyes]

Then if you have done all this stuff, why pray tell are you positing your question to us yayhoos on the internet? [rolleyes]

The reason the forums are here in the first place. to ask a more diverse and plentiful audience that might offer something I haven't heard yet.

To bring this thread full circle, I have carried before (bodyguard, but in a sneaky pete holster that looks like a PDA case under the suit) but hated the firearm so much I stopped and sold it. I have since acquired a sig P938 and now looking for a method of carrying where it is concealed with the option to wear a polo and shorts in the summer time. No, I don't wear skinny jeans.

The reason the forums are here in the first place. to ask a more diverse and plentiful audience that might offer something I haven't heard yet.

To bring this thread full circle, I have carried before (bodyguard, but in a sneaky pete holster that looks like a PDA case under the suit) but hated the firearm so much I stopped and sold it. I have since acquired a sig P938 and now looking for a method of carrying where it is concealed with the option to wear a polo and shorts in the summer time. No, I don't wear skinny jeans.

Your first post said....

Just jumped into the fray for carrying for the first time.

So I think lots of people assumed you were looking for the basics. Are you looking for something to wear with suits or with a polo/shorts? Those could very well be two different holsters. Good luck with your search.

I would highly recommend giving the Desantis Nemesis or SuperFly pocket holsters a shot for the Sig 938.

I gotta a plastic bin full of holsters if that answers your question. The only way to find out is simply try and experiment...okay? Body typte and what you wear for clothes play a big par in how you CCW, as well as the type of firearm you carry. One type simply does not fit all and no matter what, there is no one perfect holster, they are all compromises.

This. I have tried a ton of different holster styles and have a similar box full of them that didn't cut it. You really wont know what works for you until find it. Start with a sturdy belt and go from there.

So I get it, you want a very specific answer about carrying a very specific firearm with very specific clothing in mind which is a lot different than your original post. You said you had "just jumped into the fray" and implied that you never carried before and wanted general information. I have never owned a Sig P938 but I did own a Colt Govt. Model.380 which was a similar model handgun. At the time I carried it in a strong side belt holster condition one with a thumbreak Bianchi Holster (very old school in the '80's). Wish I still had the gun, but I don't. Today I would still probably carry in a belt holster but without the thumb break. I'm a little leery of pocket carry in Condition 1 which might make polo and shorts problematical unless you are comfortable with Condition 2, but that's just me. IWB Condition 1 would certainly be feasible for the polo and shorts wardrobe you propose, it's just not for me. Best you try it and see.

Last edited:
Your first post said....

So I think lots of people assumed you were looking for the basics. Are you looking for something to wear with suits or with a polo/shorts? Those could very well be two different holsters. Good luck with your search.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. I carried the bodyguard around the house, but never felt comfortable beyond that. I am looking for a quality holster that I will be EDC.

As far suits and polo/shorts, my work is unique where as my outfit has proven to help to match the client's persona. I have a wide range of clients ranging from boat captains to hedge fund managers and everything in between. I don't wear suits to meet with a fisherman, and vice versa, I don't wear grubby clothes to meet with wealth managers, and sometimes I have 3-5 outfits in the car. From what I can tell, I am going to have to get a holster for each outfit, which I am ok with, just trying to determine which outfit warrants which type of carry.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. I carried the bodyguard around the house, but never felt comfortable beyond that. I am looking for a quality holster that I will be EDC.

As far suits and polo/shorts, my work is unique where as my outfit has proven to help to match the client's persona. I have a wide range of clients ranging from boat captains to hedge fund managers and everything in between. I don't wear suits to meet with a fisherman, and vice versa, I don't wear grubby clothes to meet with wealth managers, and sometimes I have 3-5 outfits in the car. From what I can tell, I am going to have to get a holster for each outfit, which I am ok with, just trying to determine which outfit warrants which type of carry.

I am am in the same boat with my work and diff clothing everyday, but for some reason I keep going back to the iwb carry (mp sheild) and I started at the 4 o clock but feel better at 3 o clock sometimes I even do 6 O clock depending what I am wearing and if I have to drive a lot that day etc. I would recommend just experimenting and with time U will find out what works best everyone is different.

Maybe it's just the particular combination of my body style and carry gun, but I've tried just about everything and appendix carry beats them all hands down. I'm not saying it's #1 in every factor (security, comfort, draw speed, safety, etc. etc. etc) but all things considered it is by far the best for me. I'm 5'10" 170 and carry a G26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. Thinking of moving up to a G19 now that I'm out of Mass for good.

IWB is really the only thing that's ever worked for me. The pros are top notch concealment. No cons really. I find the draw is just as quick as OWB unless I'm carrying it at a sharp cant angle or letting it ride really low (for my Glock 30, I use and MTAC and I adjusted it to ride very low. Makes this brick of a gun hide well but can slightly slow the draw and does make reholstering a bitch...reholstering is the least of my concerns if I ever have to draw).

Maybe it's just the particular combination of my body style and carry gun, but I've tried just about everything and appendix carry beats them all hands down. I'm not saying it's #1 in every factor (security, comfort, draw speed, safety, etc. etc. etc) but all things considered it is by far the best for me. I'm 5'10" 170 and carry a G26 in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. Thinking of moving up to a G19 now that I'm out of Mass for good.

I'm using the desire to try appendix carry as my current motivation to drop the gut. It simply will not work right now for me. I like the idea, and while standing or walking, it's pretty good, but bending or sitting puts the gun in contention with the gut, and it's not a good situation.

The only holster which everyone raves about, but haven't had the chance to see yet is the Alien Gear Tuck 2.0. Does anyone have any experience with them?

The only holster which everyone raves about, but haven't had the chance to see yet is the Alien Gear Tuck 2.0. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I carry my XDm 3.8" in one, and really like it. Best value you'll find in a hybrid holster. The issue right now is the 8+week lead time to get one.

They're knockoffs of the cross breed supertuck. A lot cheaper. prob worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom