• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you carry? Update, issue with Alien Gear IWB Holster

Does it have the same issue as mine?

I can't see your top pictures for some reason, I only see the two in the bottom. I checked mine the kydex is a bit high but its not that bad. For the money if I carry it a few times a year it will be fine. Of course the G19 doesnt have an external safety so that's no bother. I am a lefty but I didn't swap the mag release (gen 4) so it can still use the extra killy standard capacity mags, not the pussified ma ones...but I really don't care for the gun much either. My wife "stole" it from me.
I did get the 2 holster deal from Alien, hers is same as mine but right handed. She likes carrying that set up more than her sr9c / super tuck.

Update:

I ordered the holster(s) from Alien Gear beginning of December, they finally arrived today. I am not impressed with these holsters, as you can see from the attached pictures, the fiream isn't even on the backing leather and the safety digs into my hip. This holster must have been made on a Monday, as you can see, the kydex doesn't even line up with the backing leather. I tried wearing it around and the safety digs into my side.

Here are some pictures of the holster(2):
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

9edd3cbf-5ca9-4049-ae45-d2877e245f8b.jpg

And here are some stock pictures of firearms in holsters, notice how they are all lined up properly:
2245631_01_alien_gear_holster_crossbreed__640.jpg

53fcb21189425e773e3d646443c3368a.jpg
Return it.

Check out N82 .

I love my professional holster for Ruger SR9c. Very comfy and well made. More expensive than Alien. At the same time you get what you pay for.

OP: Don't forget you need a really good gun belt. It makes all the difference in carrying. Do mot skip getting a good belt.

Not impressed by my alien holster for my g32 either. Retention kinda sucks no matter how i tighten it down.
Its only an ok holster

I prefer a comp tac. Have one for the g30 and love it. Will have to get one for the 32 eventually. Buy once cry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a Sig P938 in the 3 or 4 o'clock position (depending if I'm driving) inside a Garrett IWB Silent Thunder holster - very comfortable. I ordered a Milt Sparks VM II IWB in mid September and that should be arriving shortly. As was previously stated, a good gun belt should also be considered when looking at holsters.

Update to my original post: I finally got my Milt Sparks VMII holster I ordered back in mid September (took all of 12 weeks!) and it is a well made, comfortable holster that I like a lot. My P938 sits higher than when it's in my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB but this is not an issue rather an observation. The all leather construction makes it a very comfortable holster that easily molds to the shape of your body. It's worth the wait if you can afford to spend a bit more $$$ and don't mind the long lead time. Again, very well constructed, comfortable, nice to look at and conceals well.

For the money and availability, I would still strongly recommend the Garrett Ind. Silent Thunder IWB as it's well made & comfortable, conceals great, is easy to put on/take off your belt, has an adjustable cant and is easily positioned on your belt. This is important when you're driving as you can easily go from the 3:30 - 4 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position so your grip is not sticking into your kidney. The kydex outer shell gets more comfortable once you get used to it and the leather lining minimizes the wear and tear on your firearm. Don't forget a good gun belt as this makes a huge difference in the stability and comfort when carrying.

Update:

I ordered the holster(s) from Alien Gear beginning of December, they finally arrived today. I am not impressed with these holsters, as you can see from the attached pictures, the fiream isn't even on the backing leather and the safety digs into my hip. This holster must have been made on a Monday, as you can see, the kydex doesn't even line up with the backing leather. I tried wearing it around and the safety digs into my side.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

9edd3cbf-5ca9-4049-ae45-d2877e245f8b.jpg

Now that I'm at work I can see the pictures of your holster. I see where your kydex is too far offset, neither of the ones I bought are like that. I would send it back.

For me, this is a safety issue. As you can see, the safety is dis-engaged, while holstered, the the holster dis-engaged the safety. I will give them a fair chance to make this right, if not, back they go.

Update:

***picture snippage***
And here are some stock pictures of firearms in holsters, notice how they are all lined up properly:

Call them, that's a steaming pile. They will make it right.

Now that I'm at work I can see the pictures of your holster. I see where your kydex is too far offset, neither of the ones I bought are like that. I would send it back.

^^THIS^^

I have one for my XDm 3.8", and love it. I have none of the issues you have there. I only use that big holster for a full size heavy gun, as I prefer a single clip (a la N82 or minimalist kydex) for my small guns, but when I do use it, I'm very happy with it.

I would be on the horn with them soonest, and ask them where to send some pictures, and let them know that anything more than 4 days to receive a replacement with a return envelope will be unacceptable.

Hmm. Maybe yours did get made on a Monday. Well, from their videos and statements on their site, they say they'll stand by their product, so definitely return it.

I also got the two holster deal. I got the neoprene and vinyl ones for my PM9 and my G17. I have to try out the G17 this week and see how that goes, but the PM9 has been interesting.

Fit has been great. Super comfortable and everything looks like it's lined up right. I did raise the clips so the holster would sit lower.
I've had to tighten those clips once, and also this weekend I had an experience that I've never had with the CrossBreed. I took a big load of cardboard to the dump to recycle. I was bent over picking up cardboard and the gun fell out of the holster onto the bed floor. Clearly I didn't have enough retention and even the holster was loose. I popped the holster off and had to pocket carry in my jacket until I got home. And LUCKILY nobody saw what happened. I cranked the screws down real tight when I got home.

The nylon clips are definitely more friendly on the clothes, but they don't have the retention of metal clips. There really isn't much spring effect from nylon.

So far I'm pleased, but it definitely isn't perfect. I'll try the Glock tomorrow.

I had the single belt clipped IWB holster and due to my line of work and motions, it kept canting as I moved, so I opted for a holster with clips on both sides. Yes it might be big, but it should offer the best retention.

Alien gear IWB with a bodyguard .380. I keep it at 5 o'clock. Most comfortable and least noticeable position that I've found. My pants are too tight for pocket carry, I look like I have perma-wood. I also refuse to wear sloppy baggy clothes in order to carry a full size.

If I can't get out of a situation with 7 rounds of .380, I've got bigger problems.

They are still closed, I will call them once they open. I also emailed them with the pictures of the issues. I am not sure if the Kydex holes are in the wrong spot, or the holes in the leather are.

Since we're talking about the Alien Gear holsters, I'll just add that I got an OWB holster for a Sig p228 and I'm not a fan. I just wanted something for range use and it's marginal at best. Because the leather backer is so small, everything has to be lined up perfectly or it simply won't go into the holster. I'm not so operatey that I reholster against the timer, but when I have to use two hands and visually line everything up every time, it's obnoxious. It's by far my least comfortable holster for range/carry use. I'm considering just getting an IWB backer for it and calling it a day.

Increasing your chances of getting "Glock leg".

My point was just that while I'm not in a hurry to reholster, this thing is seriously slow.

Gotcha. Yeah, their OWB holsters didn't instill a lot of confidence looking at them on the website. For a range holster, I really prefer a dedicated kydex rig specifically for ease of holstering. I do work from my concealment holsters, but at the range I use the Bladetech offset drop a lot.

Gotcha. Yeah, their OWB holsters didn't instill a lot of confidence looking at them on the website. For a range holster, I really prefer a dedicated kydex rig specifically for ease of holstering. I do work from my concealment holsters, but at the range I use the Bladetech offset drop a lot.

I had Buzzards Bay Tactical from NES make me an OWB kydex holster and dual mag carrier for range use/IDPA for my g19. Great piece, good retention, I like his work and a real fast turn around.

I finally tried out the j-hooks for my Crossbreed Supertuck. For those of you who aren't familiar with them, they allow you to carry IWB with your shirt tucked in. I went to a wedding with my wife and my PM9. The shirt tucked in well around the holster as intended and no printing even while dancing.

I had Buzzards Bay Tactical from NES make me an OWB kydex holster and dual mag carrier for range use/IDPA for my g19. Great piece, good retention, I like his work and a real fast turn around.

I got this rig for my XDm and another for my M&P full size:

IMG_1086.jpg

from this guy: http://1441gear.net/product/the-patriot/

I love this holster, as it's flat enough for concealing under a longer tshirt or button up, but is robust enough for range work. I set it up to ride at about the same position as I carry IWB, so the motions are the same. I also have a double mag carrier from him, but don't use it since Cloverleaf got me turned onto the Safariland 123 pouches. Turnaround is very fast with Chuck at 1441 Gear, I ordered the holster for my M&P on a Monday, had it Thursday; quality is very good as well as customer service.

The holster needs to serve one purpose, retain the firearm on my body in the even that I need it, I can draw. This holster isn't something I plan on using at the range or practicing operator holstering as many have mentioned.

The holster needs to serve one purpose, retain the firearm on my body in the even that I need it, I can draw. This holster isn't something I plan on using at the range or practicing operator holstering as many have mentioned.

I understand that, but it's never a bad idea to practice drawing from your concealment rig, just to see if modifications need to be made to equipment or methods. When you need your gun is a shitty time to find out that something doesn't work as well as you thought.

I carry my first and only firearm so far, a FS m&p9 in an elite IWB at about 3:30/4:00. Its fine for the winter/jacket weather, considering a shield as my next purchase but my mitts are mighty large. I'm nearing the end of my 'self control' rope though and will probably pick up a new piece (most likely the shield) and some holsters to try out. I made it a month and a half since my first purchase so i guess I'm due.

My only major complaint with my current carry set up is that the metal clip on the holster is taking a toll on my precious driver seat leather and the barrel of the firearm is indenting the seat/butt bolster. Damn sport seats. Perhaps a shield and a different holster will help these issues. Good luck with your search.

My only major complaint with my current carry set up is that the metal clip on the holster is taking a toll on my precious driver seat leather and the barrel of the firearm is indenting the seat/butt bolster. Damn sport seats. Perhaps a shield and a different holster will help these issues. Good luck with your search.

Swap out for plastic clips. The metal crossbreed clips don't hurt my belt, but other metal ones have scratched it all to hell.

Back
Top Bottom