How do you carry? Update, issue with Alien Gear IWB Holster

I made my own IWB Kydex holster with parts from White Hat Holsters. They make them for many different handguns. I made it myself because I was bored and it took me about 15 minutes. Look here and scroll down to Post #4. http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=745533&highlight=white+hat+holsters

http://www.whitehatholsters.com

and check out Post #16. http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=756258&highlight=made+own+iwb+holster

I had the cow hide from another project which cost me about 30$ for the whole hide.

PS: I live in Georgia and also carry a Ruger 380 LCP in my pocket when it is to hot to carry the "cannon".

I bought one of these almost 3 years ago and wear it almost every day. It is still like new and carries my 1911 most of the time. It will last you the rest of your life. I have nothing to do with this company, but try one especially if you plan on carrying.

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/SuperBIO-Belt_ep_95-1.html

Last edited:
The holster needs to serve one purpose, retain the firearm on my body in the even that I need it, I can draw. This holster isn't something I plan on using at the range or practicing operator holstering as many have mentioned.

The pics of your holster definitely show the shell and backing not lined up correctly when the handgun is in place.

Here is a couple of other things to consider.

1) the alien gear among others are a half shell against a flat backing. This will feel different than a full shell like the comp-tac infidel.

A full shell will give a more positive retention lock with better tension adjustability. The slide lock lever and safety lever are also protected in a full shell where in a flat backing these are riding against the backing.

2) With an IWB carry gun, I prefer not to have any of the barrel or slide protruding at the muzzle end of the gun. Depending upon how you are carrying, if protruding, certain movements may push the gun out of the holster.

10222_1.jpg
10222_2.jpg

So I've been carrying the Glock for a week with it's Alien Gear holster and so far so good. I like the fit and it feels great.

So far clips are maintaining their tension.

I also really cranked over all the screws to make sure everything's good and tight.

I carry my shield in an alien gear holster. It is by far my least favorite hybrid holster I have owned. But then again I paid 29.95 for the holster. I find the fit and finish to be cheap and it is the least comfortable of the 2 others I have tried (with the most comfortable being white hat and then crossbread). I find the flat bottom can sometimes pinch my skin when getting into my truck. I've carried in this holster for almost 2 years now. It has held up fine but has always felt cheap. Overall this holster serves its purpose and is representative of price point. If you want a cheap holster it does the job and is worth 29.95. However to me it is worth spending more money on the white hat holster. But everyone has that decision to make for themselves.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Remora/Sticky variety. When I do carry, it's an XDs in one of these. The thing I like most is that it's not locked into any one position/angle and adjusts quickly and easily. Driving, working, walking, sitting, all are comfortable at different positions and the Sticky allows for a quick adjustment for all. Ride height is also infinitely adjustable...I tend to like to carry low in the waistband to hide more of the butt of the gun from printing as I generally wear more fitted clothing versus loose Ts and hoodies. It carries just as easily appendix, side or SOB...and can be used as a pocket holster. I was skeptical it would move or not be very secure but it never moves and I don't have to resize my pants to use it. Really didn't want to have to have special carry pants sized larger versus non carry pants. Of course the gun has a lot to do with that as well...to carry my G30 probably would require I get a size up to be comfy even with the Sticky/Remora.

Oh, and they're cheap, don't seem to sweat as much against bare skin as a Kydex IWB, and keeps the finish of the gun unmarred

I picked up a shield yesterday and snagged a cheap elite IWB holster from four seasons. I have this holster for my fullsize m&p9 as well and the shield version is actually upsidedown, i find it kind of odd and it is more difficult to holster the gun. You can see what I mean if you search 'Elite holster Shield' in google images and see the first and tenth image. At first I thought I had a defective one but after checking the manufacturer photos I guess it was on purpose, perhaps it will get better with break in.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Remora/Sticky variety. When I do carry, it's an XDs in one of these. The thing I like most is that it's not locked into any one position/angle and adjusts quickly and easily. Driving, working, walking, sitting, all are comfortable at different positions and the Sticky allows for a quick adjustment for all. Ride height is also infinitely adjustable...I tend to like to carry low in the waistband to hide more of the butt of the gun from printing as I generally wear more fitted clothing versus loose Ts and hoodies. It carries just as easily appendix, side or SOB...and can be used as a pocket holster. I was skeptical it would move or not be very secure but it never moves and I don't have to resize my pants to use it. Really didn't want to have to have special carry pants sized larger versus non carry pants. Of course the gun has a lot to do with that as well...to carry my G30 probably would require I get a size up to be comfy even with the Sticky/Remora.

I have a few of these and haven't found a whole lot of use for them. I drag them out now and then but always end up going back to my kydex appendix holster. I'm not comfortable with the lack of positive attachment that could result in the gun and migrating out of position, plus you have to pull the holster out to re-holster the gun so they're kind of a pain to use in training. Just my opinion; they seem to be pretty common and probably work well for some people.

Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm in a SHTF ACE-1 Holster has been my go-to for over a year now and I love it. The gun literally disappears when I wear it at 5 o'clock and its actually incredibly comfortable as far as carrying a firearm goes. My friend has an alien gear iwb holster and it doesn't seem to be as well made as mine. Its mostly little things like the stitching and the clips.

I carry a S&W J frame in a Nate Squared holster. Best $30-35 I ever spent.
I have a N8^2 tactical holster for my sig p238. It's usually my bug on my ankle in a pocket or in the breast of my winter jacket. when I am carrying inly that gun and in my waistband (which i do in the summer weather when i dont carry it in the breast pocket of my coat) it is a great holster and not too expensive

I have eventually settled on the N8^2 IWB holster as well for the P938. The retention is good, almost to good however as the nub grabbing the trigger guard is quite square and pronounced, when drawing from the holster, the holster comes out as well. I have read some reviews that this smooths out with use and that retention stays quite secure.

I have eventually settled on the N8^2 IWB holster as well for the P938. The retention is good, almost to good however as the nub grabbing the trigger guard is quite square and pronounced, when drawing from the holster, the holster comes out as well. I have read some reviews that this smooths out with use and that retention stays quite secure.
ah I have the tuckable one not the "professional" or whatever it is so i dont have this problem. Good retention but no problem drawing

Back
Top Bottom