House & Senate Passes GOAL's Muzzle Loader Bill

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
House & Senate Passes GOAL's Muzzle Loader Bill

On October 25, 2005 the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security released S.1343 "An Act Clarifying the Definition of Loaded Rifle or Shotgun" with a "favorable" report. This bill makes the two existing definitions of a loaded muzzleoader match; those found in Chapter 131 (the hunting laws) and Chapter 269 (Crimes Against the Person). If signed by the Governor, both laws will now consider a muzzleloader to be loaded only when a priming device is in place.

Once the bill was released from committee, GOAL worked with the legislature to try to fast track the bill so that the corrected law would be in place before this year's muzzle loader season.

The bill was amended in the Senate with a technical correction and given a new number, S.2255. At GOAL's request, the Senate also added what is called an "emergency preamble" to the bill. Under normal circumstances a bill does not become law until 90 days after the governor signs it. With the emergency preamble, the bill becomes law immediately when the governor signs it.

During the legislative process, the Senate passed the bill on a voice vote. The House then took the bill and eventually passed it on a roll call vote of 154 _ 0. As this story goes to press, the bill is on the Governor's desk waiting for his signature.

On behalf of our members, we would like to thank Senator Stephen Brewer and Representative George Peterson for their special efforts in seeing this bill through the legislative process in time for the upcoming muzzle loader season.

More information regarding the passage of this bill can be found at:

http://goal.org/S2255.htm

Strange... I wonder if it is different for WMA's in this state. I believe in the 2005 Hunting Abstracts that it was already printed that way in it.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Strange... I wonder if it is different for WMA's in this state. I believe in the 2005 Hunting Abstracts that it was already printed that way in it.

Adam

The abstracts were written that way, where as if you remove the primer/ flash pan powder the rifle/ shotgun was unloaded, however, under the General Laws if there was still shot, bullet and powder in the barrel then it was still considered loaded.

This bill creates the same General law as the hunting law.

The GOAL link references "On Tuesday night, S.2255..." but there is no date.

It still sounds like it is in the future.

Is this actually all done, or what?

Back
Top Bottom