• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Umbrella policy.... Ins Co telling us they need a list of my guns????

Is this BS or what?? I don't want to give my damn Ins Co a list!! They know I have them why do they need a Fing list??? Pisses me off. They are saying my ins will be dropped if I don't give them this info.. I've had this insurance with them for years and now this?

Find another company, call your broker and have them shop all your policies, and get any others you have with that company moved.

Use these guys. They specialize in firearms insurance and are beyond amazing.

Eastern Insurance Group LLC
The Historic Firearms and Collectibles Insurance Program
933 Webster Street , Marshfield MA, 02050

800.545.9326 X59398

Use these guys. They specialize in firearms insurance and are beyond amazing.

Eastern Insurance Group LLC
The Historic Firearms and Collectibles Insurance Program
933 Webster Street , Marshfield MA, 02050

800.545.9326 X59398

Ironically our agent is Eastern Ins (Andover office)- the Insurance company is Arbella.

This would make sense if you were specifically insuring your guns over a value limit in your regular policy. Otherwise, find a different insurance company that doesn't pull this crap.

Contact Hunter Insurance Agency in RI 401-769-9500. They do MA as well and we have been with them for many years for our home in MA and all of our cars. No questions asked about firearms and it was pretty inexpensive if I recall to add an extra 2k on top of the standard policy firearm amount. They also happen to be the only 5 star rated Insurance Agency in the state of RI.

edit- if i recall I was able to put an additional 2k insurance without having to itemize. if I wanted to go over that I think I would have. You may want to double check that info with whoever you call though.

Liberty is expensive. My ex is very high up at LM and she has her insurance with someone else because LM was priced too high compared to the market

I have Preferred Mutual, thru Hurley Insurance in Danvers. My $1mil umbrella is $150/yr
No gun questions. Call Dan, pm me for info. He'll take care of you.

If you are adding coverage for your guns, of course they would want to know. They wouldn't insure a car or a house if they didn't know it existed either. Many in the gun hobby probably have at least 10k invested in guns. If you are talking general home coverage, how would they even know you have guns?

If you are adding coverage for your guns, of course they would want to know. They wouldn't insure a car or a house if they didn't know it existed either. Many in the gun hobby probably have at least 10k invested in guns. If you are talking general home coverage, how would they even know you have guns?

This was specifically an Umbrella policy- no gun coverage- I'm covered elsewhere for this. How do they know? They send you a questionnaire- if you want coverage you need to answer their questions. They've never asked for a list before.

I will definitely have my agent pursue another company.

This was specifically an Umbrella policy- no gun coverage- I'm covered elsewhere for this. How do they know? They send you a questionnaire- if you want coverage you need to answer their questions. They've never asked for a list before.

I will definitely have my agent pursue another company.
If the guns are covered with another insurer and the umbrella will not be used in case of a gun loss, tell them you have no guns.

Or better yet, tell them you are moving ALL your policies away and tell them why.

Call the Eastern number (Marshfield) above and ask for Jack Richardson. He's a shooter and worked to get the separate gun insurance programs thru them. He can help you place all your insurance w/o that BS.

IMHO an umbrella policy for say $1,000,000 liability just tells a lawyer we can sue this guy for $999,999 and get a settlement from the insurance company, if you have a problem. I dropped mine years ago. After a divorce I have plenty of nothing so if I have a problem they can get in line and dock my pay that's all they getting out of me.

This may sound stupid but what is the difference between an Umbrella and Regular Insurance? As for my Insurance no questions were asked if i owned firearms.
An Umbrella is a liability policy that sits on top of your Auto, Homeowners and (if you have one) Boat policies giving you additional coverage in the event someone sues you.

It's a liability policy. There is no reason why they would need a list of your guns unless they've got some BS underwriting guidelines about which types of guns they'll write and which they won't - kind of like how some HO carriers won't write policies for people with certain breeds of dog.

As others have said, tell them to F-off and shop the policy.

Not only your guns, but everything in your home should be recorded on a video, jewelry, guns, coins, electronics. Store a copy of the video at a friends locked in a safe. If your place burns, you have a record to show you had these items. You could forget about items until its way too late to get paid for them say, if your home burned. They don't need a list.

Not only your guns, but everything in your home should be recorded on a video, jewelry, guns, coins, electronics. Store a copy of the video at a friends locked in a safe. If your place burns, you have a record to show you had these items. You could forget about items until its way too late to get paid for them say, if your home burned. They don't need a list.

Go look under your kitchen sink, bathroom sinks and in your hall closets. Lots of nothing. Well, it'd probably cost you $1000 to replace all that nothing.

Like OldOwl said, photo or video everything. It all adds up.

I got the same query two years ago. My agent just told me to put: "I have several guns that are secured in a Gun Safe". Haven't heard anything since.

Tell them they are not guns, they are umbrellas.

umbrellarifle1.jpg

Last edited:
I got the same query two years ago. My agent just told me to put: "I have several guns that are secured in a Gun Safe". Haven't heard anything since.

This. It's an umbrella policy. If you shoot someone you may get sued. If you expect the insurance company to pay the claim you should at least let them know you have firearms and cars and large dogs and boats etc. All kidding aside insurance companies are tougher on pools than guns and boats are right up there too.

Make sure you tell them WHY you are leaving them for another insurance company. We need to get in the habit of making it well known why we choose not to do business with people so that they maybe get the hint.

Is this BS or what?? I don't want to give my damn Ins Co a list!! They know I have them why do they need a Fing list??? Pisses me off. They are saying my ins will be dropped if I don't give them this info.. I've had this insurance with them for years and now this?

Time to apply with another company.

Mine requires a list of anything that is over a value of over $2,4000.00 -that's for whatever it is. I have my 1911, some art, my computers and my wife's engagement necklace on that. Other than that, it's a moot point.

Seriously, if you don't vote with your money and STATE WHY YOU ARE CANCELLING YOUR POLICY, you just encourage this nonsense.

This. It's an umbrella policy. If you shoot someone you may get sued. If you expect the insurance company to pay the claim you should at least let them know you have firearms and cars and large dogs and boats etc. All kidding aside insurance companies are tougher on pools than guns and boats are right up there too.

What's worse than all the above is telling them you have a trampoline in your yard. You might as well have just told them you have a basement lab that is illegally producing the Ebola virus- it's probably cheaper to insure that. [rofl]

-Mike

You are correct. This seems to have worked for now... I'm not sure if my agent misunderstood what the insurance company needed.... we'll see. I made it clear to them that I would switch all my insurance policies if they insisted on getting this "list".

Back
Top Bottom