HK guns ???

The price is what's making me second guess myself. I just need to know if they're worth the price before I get one. I've gotten a couple things without trying them out and end up giving them away half the price I paid.

Put it this way, I haven't bought one unless it had a rebate. HK seems to know they are overpriced, thus the TLR3 rebate and later the $200 rebate.

My wife loves her H&K VP9. Has by far the easiest recoil spring in the size class. And the paddle style mag release is fantastic. May be an acquired taste for push button fans. However, it is a dream come true for anyone with compromise hand strength that don't want to go down to a .380 Auto.
Well balanced. Nice trigger. Easy to fire accurately.
ANd for lefties, like me, Ambi controls is a huge plus. I do not consider "switchable" control to be ambi. Not when I'm not the only one using a pistol. My range and EDC are both full ambi FNS.

Usually its the other way. Once you buy your first HK you usually buy more of them.

Well, that happens first, for awhile. Then you discover exactly what he's talking about and sell them all. [rofl] At one point I owned 9 HK handguns, including a MK23 and a P7M8. I had to sell them all for financial reasons and the only two I regret selling are the two I just mentioned. Even then with those two, it was only about the uniqueness/engineering factors. I might buy a VP9 on a lark someday but honestly it's not high on my "list". In general though most Glocks just shoot better for me, plus a bunch of other factors like maintenance + upgrades, plus parts availability is a big plus. It's never been hard or overly expensive to get glock parts. They are everywhere and not stupid expensive. Plus a monkey like me can work on a Glock without worrying about breaking the thing or reassembling it wrong. I once changed out a connector for Atilla at MFL on a dark range lane with nothing but a flashlight and and armorers tool. Not too many guns you can do that with. I've pulled apart HKs before too but that is more like performing a surgical procedure. Not difficult, but not something you can do on the spur of the moment.

-Mike

Well, that happens first, for awhile. Then you discover exactly what he's talking about and sell them all. [rofl] At one point I owned 9 HK handguns, including a MK23 and a P7M8. I had to sell them all for financial reasons and the only two I regret selling are the two I just mentioned. Even then with those two, it was only about the uniqueness/engineering factors. I might buy a VP9 on a lark someday but honestly it's not high on my "list".
-Mike

Now you got me curious Mike...What guns are on top of your list? Thanks

I would love a mk23, how was it?

It was not so much the "best handgun ever" as it was an engineering marvel. The slide finish was also sexy as hell, too. ****ing gigantic, like 40 ish ounces for a polymer framed handgun. Never jams with decent ammo. Like ever. Barrel internal surfaces were either supremely well machined or polished; easiest barrel to clean on a handgun, ever. Everything in the pistol is overbuilt and it shows. It was designed to eat .45 +P all day long and then some, it just won't care. The DA trigger pull is incredibly heavy, albeit smooth but the SA is pretty crisp and sublime. (the trigger lever itself is actually made out of metal, unlike the plastic ones on other guns, etc. ) The USP series you can feel the parts torquing around inside as you pull the trigger, exerting a sort of sponge-like feeling to the trigger pull.. on the MK23 when you pull the DA trigger you felt a steel bar pulling on that hammer in a direct, solid manner. No wonky, no sponging. You could also run it cocked and locked, too, like a 1911, although the safety lever is not very big. ) The only bad thing I can say about the MK23 is the exterior finish on the barrel kinda sucked, but even when it flaked off you'd never notice it unless you took the gun apart, and even that coating flaking off didn't seem to affect its corrosion resistance one bit. It's stupidly expensive, too... but I never felt like I got ripped off, either. There is the side effect that it's just not -practical- for anything. It's a really fun range toy. That's far less aggravating than a Desert Eagle is, let's put it that way. If you have money to blow on guns with reckless abandon (like I used to) its worth a buy. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
It was not so much the "best handgun ever" as it was an engineering marvel. The slide finish was also sexy as hell, too. ****ing gigantic, like 40 ish ounces for a polymer framed handgun. Never jams with decent ammo. Like ever. Barrel internal surfaces were either supremely well machined or polished; easiest barrel to clean on a handgun, ever. Everything in the pistol is overbuilt and it shows. It was designed to eat .45 +P all day long and then some, it just won't care. The DA trigger pull is incredibly heavy, albeit smooth but the SA is pretty crisp and sublime. (the trigger lever itself is actually made out of metal, unlike the plastic ones on other guns, etc. ) The USP series you can feel the parts torquing around inside as you pull the trigger, exerting a sort of sponge-like feeling to the trigger pull.. on the MK23 when you pull the DA trigger you felt a steel bar pulling on that hammer in a direct, solid manner. No wonky, no sponging. You could also run it cocked and locked, too, like a 1911, although the safety lever is not very big. ) The only bad thing I can say about the MK23 is the exterior finish on the barrel kinda sucked, but even when it flaked off you'd never notice it unless you took the gun apart, and even that coating flaking off didn't seem to affect its corrosion resistance one bit. It's stupidly expensive, too... but I never felt like I got ripped off, either. There is the side effect that it's just not -practical- for anything. It's a really fun range toy. That's far less aggravating than a Desert Eagle is, let's put it that way. If you have money to blow on guns with reckless abandon (like I used to) its worth a buy. [laugh]

-Mike
Wow. What an outstanding description. You my friend have just added to my lust for a mk23.

Have a fine Navy day.

My brother just bough a VP9 and it is decent. very well built, I don't particularly like the factory grips but that is personal preference.
He also has and carries a P7M8 which is a very unique gun with the squeeze cocking feature.
The P7M8 is a really cool gun from an engineering standpoint but I would never pay the money for one.

GB has a "List of Transfer Dealers" on the bid page. Click on the link and enter your zip code for a list of local dealers that will do the transfer.

That ain't gonna work for MA, he's gonna have to be a lot more creative than that, and we're not going to talk about that here.

-Mike

Sheee thats rape. When I got them they were like $30 but that was a long ass time ago.

-Mike

Not much. Just crappy triggers and a stupid mag release.
Fondled one in the store today. It felt like it was made for my hand but the mag release is the worst. I hit it when I pull the trigger. Maybe I have bad technique and fat fingers but for that kind of money it should make love to my hands and allow for bad finger placement.

LOVE my P30L. Incredible recoil management and the customizable backstrap and side plates for me are winning features. I also really like the mag release. Just my 2 cents but worth the $.

I've tried a VP9 and I wasn't blown away. It wasn't bad but it would not be my first choice.

As a Metal Gear Solid fan, I've always been interesting in trying the Mk23.

Back
Top Bottom